Thread: Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Just stumbled upon this guy on the waiver wire, hadn't even noticed his existence before. Picked him up for Silfverberg who has cooled down.

Last 11 games: 4 goals 6 assists 10 pts +7 2PIMS 24 Shots 18 Hits 5 Blocks 2 STP 17:40 ATOI

Playing on 2nd line with Mark Stone who is quite hot right now. He is 23 years old, small (5'9" 170 lbs), but seems to be fierce with 111 hits already this season. I am always looking for offensive producers who can also pad my stats in the hits category. For the format in my sig, does this guy have any sleeper potential? Or is he almost assuredly a JAG who is just having an isolated stretch of success? No PP time right now, and he could go down to 3rd line at any time if Zibanejad gets moved back up to Stone's line.

Rep gun is loaded.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Jean-Gabriel Pageau

I had been watching him from a couple seasons ago. He had a lot of potential but I kinda wrote him off as a bottom 6 energy guy. He is one of those smaller guys that has proven size doesn't matter at every level and has an interesting track record of scoring just not at the NHL level yet. Not a bad option to ride hot but I wouldn't keep a roster space if he cools off. The problem with him for me is sticking in a top scoring role. It think he will be moved there from time to time but I am not sure if I see him sticking as a top 6 scoring forward consistently.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    is he almost assuredly a JAG who is just having an isolated stretch of success? No PP time right now, and he could go down to 3rd line at any time if Zibanejad gets moved back up to Stone's line.

This !!

Dobber Sports Pro

Haha. That is what I figured. I'll give him some roll with Mark Stone while he is hot, with the expectation that he will most likely be a drop candidate in the near future.

Thanks guys.

Banned

He looks better than Zibanejad, mainly because he is always competing and skating. I hope he sticks in the top 6 with Stone. He's always had skills.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like Pageau if your league counts hits and faceoffs like mine does. First noticed him a couple years ago in the playoffs. Can't remember what series it was, but he was one of the stronger players for Ottawa. He hasn't really taken off since then, but as long as he's skating with Stone, he deserves some attention.

12-team yahoo head-to-head with daily starts. 24-man rosters. Keep 8.
    4 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 2 F, 6 D, 1 G, 5 BN, 3 IR+
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Pro

JGP got 21:15 of ice time last night, almost exclusively playing on the Stone line. No points, but he did register 3 SOG, 4 Hits and 1 Block, which is a productive night in my format. It was also encouraging to see him on ice for 50% of Ottawa's power play time. They are definitely putting him in a good position to prove himself. Hopefully he can take the opportunity and run with it.

Dobber Sports Stud

I've had him on an off my roster all year in my league that counts hits and FOWs. He even picks up some blocks. So if you want him for the multicat then hes worth it. However, If you want him for points.....it's going to be tough as he can be very streaky then go ice cold for weeks at a time.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kooter109 View Post
    I've had him on an off my roster all year in my league that counts hits and FOWs. He even picks up some blocks. So if you want him for the multicat then hes worth it. However, If you want him for points.....it's going to be tough as he can be very streaky then go ice cold for weeks at a time.
    Has he gotten any consistent top 6 time prior to this recent run? My hope was that his offensive numbers would get better due to being on a top 2 line. If he had 50-55 point upside that would be very interesting to me.

Dobber Sports Star

He is looking fantastic and I just snagged him in my points only as a short (hopefully long) term boost. He may really solidify a top 6 role if he keeps it up.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    He is looking fantastic and I just snagged him in my points only as a short (hopefully long) term boost. He may really solidify a top 6 role if he keeps it up.
    I just included him as a throw-in in a trade deadline deal 2 days ago... Crosby ($65), Weber ($35), Lundqvist ($45), Pageau ($2) for Duchene ($4) and Little ($7). In the event that my trade partner finishes top 3 (he should, he is stacked) then he will give me Huberdeau ($3) instead of Little.

I thought this trade was a smashing success for me, but if Pageau breaks out hard it would put a significant damper on things. lol

Dobber Sports Ninja

I picked him up as soon as Turris was ruled out indefinitely. I think he's been at close to ppg over the last 20 games which is impressive since he wasn't deployed on the PP over that stretch.

Looks like he got his first taste of PP time last night too and scored (although I might be wrong here, could've been the 6th attacker at the end).

No idea how sustainable this is since I never watch him, but I'm gonna ride the hot hand while it lasts.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    No idea how sustainable this is since I never watch him, but I'm gonna ride the hot hand while it lasts.
    He is definitely a valuable commodity for rest of season. Whether it extends past that, who knows. If he can stay on a top 2 line long term then he continues to have value, especially in leagues that count hits and blocks.

Banned

In the ramblings Dobber wrote that Pageau's numbers have spiked since Turris was shut down. Literally one game since he was shut down lol.

Pageau will be a good fantasy option in deeper leagues going forward. I see him sticking as the 3rd line C and I'm curious to see where Colin White will fit in. Perhaps they play him on LW with Pageau to start. That would be a good tandem with Stone or Lazar on the right.

He has all the tools necessary to continue this season's success which is ultimately a 40 point player who chips in SHP every now and then, good +/-, and good hit totals. 40 points is 2nd line production so he will provide good value in some leagues.

Dobber Sports Star

im in a dogfight for first so any production is golden even if it is only short term. Rode Jordan Stall for a month and now that he has cooled, I dropped him for Pageau and so on. Our prize pool is generated by trades and add drops ($10 per transaction), so it might be a costly stretch run lol
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue