Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I hate the new NHL.COM design

Banned

Default Re: I hate the new NHL.COM design

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    The new NHL.com seems more geared towards casual fans than fans wanting stats.
    That's going to work out OK for them.

Btw... any of you checked out the new player pages?
    The layout is NIIIIICE.
    BIG player picture at the top. Yes, that looks nice.
    The stats don't do it for me... but I wish all sites had a huge photo of player instead of standard mug shot.
    ex. Brendan Gallagher.
    ex. Darnell Nurse.
    I love the way that stretches all-the-way across my PC screen. [Facebook-ish, checkmark.]

[btw. As much as I love ESPN for my pure stats, I still wish their player stat pages would include HIT/BLK/FOW. I go to Yahoo for individual player stats. ESPN for box scores - have HIT/BLK/FOW and TOI-splits]

Peng's Four Requirements for awesome Player Page:
    1. Easy to read fonts, white-based background.
    2. Nice photo(s) of player, BIG.
    3. Stats must include HIT/BLK/FOW.
    4. Base player stat page should include last 10 games (with, for each game, player's most common ES linemates - if forward, ES partner - if D-man.). [*Part of what I like about Yahoo! Fantasy Hockey, that pop-out player screen with game log stats.]

[So far, no site is capturing all of these... booo....]
    Yahoo player pages are pretty much all this.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Yahoo player pages are pretty much all this.
    Yes & no.
    Yahoo! has good stat content... but their layout sucks balls.

On the Yahoo! page (at least on my PC, using Firefox)... I've got to scroll well down the screen to get to a player's stats.
    Say Turris, I've got to scroll down to see his season stats... and then the bio info on Turris is gone.
    If I want to know how old he is... I've got to scroll back up... then back down to look at the stats again.
    Turris Yahoo Page.
    Combine that with a left/right sidebar that is... IMO... full of junk. Junky junk cluttery junk.

The ESPN is much sleeker (it would be great if it had: i) Player Handedness, ii) FOW/HIT/BLK).
    On the ESPN Turris player page, I can look at his season stats with his mugshot and bio all there. No scrolling.
    Also - it's way cleaner to jump player pages on ESPN. They have a "Go To" double scroll bar, team/players for easy hopping. That's probably my fave function of ESPN player pages.
    I like that.
    If I don't need FOW/HIT/BLK... it's always ESPN for me.

I do like the cross-page photo on the new NHL player page though, that's super sexy visually, IMO.
    Check out the NHL.com player page for Turris, very nice.

The photo can be pretty fun too.
    Some sites just show a mugshot of player... so you might not see his stick handedness, his stick choice, his jersey number, his gloves or helmet.
    I love seeing all those things about a player right away, which makes it (I think) a really great top intro-shot of each player.
    Just looking at the Turris pic, there's also fans in the background, and I was able to say "Hey, I've got a black/blue Bauer Nexus that looks just like that, and I'm a rightie." (That's fun, for me)

[One of my biggest pet peeves of player stats: SHG, SHP... don't show me that. Or "shifts", c'mon... I don't care. Unf, NHL page lists FOW%, without FOW-FOL, awful. Give me the FOW/HIT/BLK, please!]

Dobber Sports Pro

I just don't understand why they didn't wait until the off-season to do this. Why did it have to be in Feb? It seems so rushed.

I may just be frustrated at the fact that NHL.tv is hot garbage right now... however I can watch it on my PC and Phone, but not my PS4 where I watch everything because ???!?!??!?!?!!?!?
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Couple things I actually do like about the new site. The "enhanced" stats section (http://www.nhl.com/stats/enhanced) where you can sort and view corsi,fenwick,PDO is pretty cool. And I've also noticed now when watching NHL GC there isn't as much of a lag as there used to be. It used to be 3-5 minutes behind (like, the scoreboard and box score would update and a few minutes later I'd see the goal). Now it's much more acceptable.
    Weekly H2H 4games/week. 14 Teams,21 Player roster+ 3 protected prospects
    20 week Regular season + 3 Rounds of Playoffs
    Keep 10

G+A = 1pt, Dman G+A = 1.5pt, PPG =1pt, PPA = 0.5pt, SHG = 1pt, SHA = 0.5pt, ShootoutG = 0.25pt, GWG = 1pt, Hatty = 3pt, DMan Hatty = 5pt, +/- (For D only) = +/- 0.5pt, W = 2pt, L = -1pt, OTL = 1pt, ShootoutL = 0.5pt, SO = 1pt, S = 0.1pt, GA = -0.5pt, Goalie Goal = 5pt

Each week play: 3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 D, 2 G
    C: Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Zibanejad
    LW: Schwartz, Kase, Debrusk, Dzingel
    RW: Ehlers, Lindholm, Zuccarrello, Tuch
    D: Letang, Burns, Krug, Edler
    G: Vasilevskiy, Fleury, Saros, Domingue
    Prospects: Sorokin, Kaprizov, Hart

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In fairness, the enhanced stats were there from start of this year.
    But it would awesome if they had fixed the lag.
    Though - I actually sort of liked that with my old GameCenter on Roku... if I clicked a game and the score changed, I new I could catch "watch live" and maybe catch the goal.

With all the bells & whistles these days, they should have a new NHL.tv function where a little icon shows up on your game screen if there is a goal in another game.
    Then you can choose to click the highlight and return to your game (on pause, or live) after you watch the highlight.
    That would be incredible, I think.
    So many options there for them to get right, eventually.

Dobber Sports Expert

Good to read that i'm not alone and it's not just me being old and having problems to adjust to changes.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nickchau2000 View Post
    Couple things I actually do like about the new site. The "enhanced" stats section (http://www.nhl.com/stats/enhanced) where you can sort and view corsi,fenwick,PDO is pretty cool. And I've also noticed now when watching NHL GC there isn't as much of a lag as there used to be. It used to be 3-5 minutes behind (like, the scoreboard and box score would update and a few minutes later I'd see the goal). Now it's much more acceptable.
    I don't know if I would trust the NHL site's advanced/enhanced stats: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...171611387.html
    But it may be getting better
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

The Great One

The new NHL.com seems more geared towards casual fans than fans wanting stats.
    That's going to work out OK for them.

The layout is NIIIIICE.
    The stats don't do it for me... but I wish all sites had a huge photo of player instead of standard mug shot.
    ex. Brendan Gallagher.
    ex. Darnell Nurse.
    I love the way that stretches all-the-way across my PC screen. [Facebook-ish, checkmark.]

[btw. As much as I love ESPN for my pure stats, I still wish their player stat pages would include HIT/BLK/FOW. I go to Yahoo for individual player stats. ESPN for box scores - have HIT/BLK/FOW and TOI-splits]

Peng's Four Requirements for awesome Player Page:
    1. Easy to read fonts, white-based background.
    2. Nice photo(s) of player, BIG.
    3. Stats must include HIT/BLK/FOW.
    4. Base player stat page should include last 10 games (with, for each game, player's most common ES linemates - if forward, ES partner - if D-man.). [*Part of what I like about Yahoo! Fantasy Hockey, that pop-out player screen with game log stats.]

[So far, no site is capturing all of these... booo....]
    The new player pages are all sizzle, no steak. In particular, the "Splits" tab has been utterly ruined, with it no longer including ice time breakdowns by month and, from what I could gather, the Splits not being available for any past seasons.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I was on NHL.com last night and noticed many improvements they've made over the past week.

1) Box scores actually show PP TOI now (like they did before)
    2) Player pages are improved, love the last 5 games on the front page. They got rid of the "on pace for" calculation, which sucks because I used that a lot.

Overall good improvements/tweaks. Looks like they've really listened to the feedback.

Personally I'm not a fan of graphic-heavy interfaces... slows down load times, and just means more scrolling to get to the relevant details, but I can live with it.

I'm sure the casuals love it so I can understand why they went in that direction - it does look good.
    Blayze, where are you seeing the pp time in the box scores? I went and looked at the det ott game and they don't show for me. I think I'm an ESPN user now.

Dobber Sports Monster

The layout is NIIIIICE.
    ex. Brendan Gallagher.
    ex. Darnell Nurse.
    it looks absolutely terrible on a laptop screen.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Banned

It's one thing to complain about stats but we don't need to see players photos other than their face...

Dobber Sports Immortal

Just give me a damn box score during the game.....that's all I want

Dobber Sports Apprentice

https://twitter.com/IgorEronko/statu...34744914993153

Alexander Semin: 'I don't like new #NHL site, now it's much more difficult follow the league'

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I end up checking scores on my iphone and I've taken a liking to tsn.ca. It tracks hits and blocks shots as well, which is nice. However, +/- and TOI isn't tracked live...
    I'm new to the smartphone world and recently been adding the different sport site apps .So far I really like the tsn go app for nhl boxscores

Dobber Sports Demi-God

There ARE some things about the new NHL website that are improvements.
    (For those of you willing to TRY not being the old-crusty man that just says "Oh, back in my day, everything was much better.")

Here's one, the Game Log Play-By-Play.
    Each logged event throughout the game is now visually sexier, with any video highlights embeded right in there.
    This is pretty slick layout, I think.
    NYR vs. PHI from last night.