Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The resurgence of Jumbo Joe

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default The resurgence of Jumbo Joe

Not sure if anyone even cares about this guy anymore given his age and his invisible first half to the season, but Jumbo Joe has been on an insane tear over the past 2 months.

He's only been held scoreless twice during that long stretch, and has a bunch of multi-point games in there... granted he's not putting up astronomical 4-pt games like Crosby, but still very impressive nonetheless.

He's probably in the top 5 during this recent stretch, and at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes the year in the top 10 (which I'm sure nobody would have seen coming).

Anyway... I found it odd that he's getting zero attention. The old man still has some gas in the tank!

The Great One

Default Re: The resurgence of Jumbo Joe

I traded him for Hossa and a pick right before this run.
    Dec 12 to be exact.

Since then he has 30 points in 24 games. Patrick Kane has 31 in 27 over the same period.

Oh and Hossa? 15 in 25

Banned

Jumbo has been consistent all year and there is talk he doesn't want to retire after his current contract.

Hossa for jumbo, ouch, hope it's a high pick

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott AllStarMVP View Post
    Jumbo has been consistent all year
    Uhmm... no.

He's been brutal for most of the season up until two months ago. Hence the "resurgence"...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I traded him for Hossa and a pick right before this run.
    Dec 12 to be exact.

Since then he has 30 points in 24 games. Patrick Kane has 31 in 27 over the same period.

Oh and Hossa? 15 in 25
    Ouch...

I had several opportunities to trade him from other GMs trying to buy low, but the offers were lowballs so I just held him patiently and sat him on my bench for a few months until he showed signs of life. Glad I waited it out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Uhmm... no.

He's been brutal for most of the season up until two months ago. Hence the "resurgence"...
    Jumbo had 14 points in his first 18 games, which is just over a 60 point pace - not stellar but far from brutal.

He had a few down weeks in late Nov/early Dec but the market correction was clearly coming.

If you watch any SJ games and Analyze his career stats you'll see 60 would be the minimum this year and that was an easy prediction, plus he is rarely injured. Pretty consistent and grows a great beard. Jumbo has only missed 9 games total in the last ten years and one day he will score 4 goals in a game and when he does it will be creepy Hertl-esque creepy.

Dobber Sports Stud

I've owned him the whole season and during the first half, he was just not getting the bounces. Now, things have finally turned around.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thornton's been very solid for last two+ months.
    But it's not just Thornton, the reuniting of Hertl on the LW1 with Thornton-Pavelski has been very good.
    And the SJ PP is always excellent.

For those keen poolies, he's become a value-draft sort of player now that Pavelski is the SJ prime-focus (both by his "C" and his scoring numbers).
    But I agree... very nice surge by Joe.

If we are looking at his past 2months pace and project that forward... he's pacing for about 80pts+.
    Hmmm.... how many NHL players could hit 80+pts? I might need to recount.

Dobber Sports Stud

Traded him for Josi 2 months ago, starting to regret it now.... Josi's been OK but JT's been better.

Banned

it's because in leagues with peripherals he isn't very useful most of the time

The Great One

Keep in mind, his resurgence still has him at barely above a 70 point pace. So as was noted above it's a case of abnormally bad early play followed by abnormally good play of late. In the end, he's a 65-70+ point guy now. If you can trade him for more value than that, you should do so, which is why I put him in my Sportnet buy low sell high column for this week (it came out yesterday and is linked to in the Ramblings for today).
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Keep in mind, his resurgence still has him at barely above a 70 point pace. So as was noted above it's a case of abnormally bad early play followed by abnormally good play of late. In the end, he's a 65-70+ point guy now. If you can trade him for more value than that, you should do so, which is why I put him in my Sportnet buy low sell high column for this week (it came out yesterday and is linked to in the Ramblings for today).
    Jumbo Joe is virtually untradable (fantasy wise) at this point of his career. He's entering Selanne territory.

You won't get fair value in return. Best to ride him into the ground like an old car and hope he has a Jagr-like useful life.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    it's because in leagues with peripherals he isn't very useful most of the time
    True, his only value is in simple points pools or leagues which the OP must be in

Dobber Sports Titan

I traded my Thornton for his Carter Oct 18th.
    Thornton – 2G, 3A in 5 games
    Carter – 2A in 4games

Thronton – 41pts in the next 47 games (0.87ppg)
    Carter 35pts in the next 43 games (0.81ppg)

I’d do it again because Carter works better with my team and he’s a C,RW. But damn if I held on till January I’d be able to get prolly a bit more for him.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Jumbo Joe is virtually untradable (fantasy wise) at this point of his career. He's entering Selanne territory.

You won't get fair value in return. Best to ride him into the ground like an old car and hope he has a Jagr-like useful life.
    I'd say the same is true of the Sedins... (and, um, Jagr)... once guys get much past 30 people start to worry that production is going to drop off of a cliff so you get offered guys who are 50pt players for guys who can still put up 70 simply because they are old.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril