Thread: First Time Keeper / First Year League - Value of Draft Picks?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default First Time Keeper / First Year League - Value of Draft Picks?

As the trade deadline approaches I've been thinking of ways to improve my team for either the short or the long term.

My team in this league is the second team in my signature. I'm currently in second place, with little hope of catching first, but I also likely won't drop out of playoffs.

Since this is my first keeper league, I don't really know what the value of a draft pick is, and I'm assuming my fellow managers don't know either. A non-contending manager on my league made Stamkos available for "a first or second round pick". Initially I wanted to jump all over that trade, but the more I thought about it, the faster I realized I had no idea what I was doing.

For starters, since Stamkos was drafted in the first round, he is ineligible to be used as a keeper.

Secondly, the keeper rules are a little unclear in this league (which I can forgive for being a first year league). In the initial email, the process was described as "The way it works is you give up the draft spot ahead of where you drafted them last year. So let's say I take Crosby in the 8th round this year, if I keep him, I will "draft" him in the 7th round next year."

This raised some red flags for me. If I trade my second round pick, does that mean I can't keep Subban (my second round pick in the initial draft)?. If I acquire Karlsson(14th overall pick) for a first round pick, can I not keep both Subban and Karlsson?

In my mind, if you have to artificially bump a player up a draft round to keep them, it often won't be worth it.

Sorry for rambling, this stuff has been on my mind for a while, so I figured I'd get if off of my chest and bring it to the experts.

H2H Points - 10 Team
    G:3/A:2/PIM:0.5/PPP:1/SHP:1/SOG:0.4 +/-: 1
    W:4/GA:-1/SV:0.2/SHO:2

C: Stamkos, Aho, Larkin
    LW: Connor, Huberdeau, Benn (C), Marchessault (C)
    RW: Keller(LW), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Yandle, Werenski, Hamilton, Muzzin
    G: Vasilevskiy, Dubnyk, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: First Time Keeper / First Year League - Value of Draft Picks?

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
    Secondly, the keeper rules are a little unclear in this league (which I can forgive for being a first year league). In the initial email, the process was described as "The way it works is you give up the draft spot ahead of where you drafted them last year. So let's say I take Crosby in the 8th round this year, if I keep him, I will "draft" him in the 7th round next year."

This raised some red flags for me. If I trade my second round pick, does that mean I can't keep Subban (my second round pick in the initial draft)?. If I acquire Karlsson(14th overall pick) for a first round pick, can I not keep both Subban and Karlsson?
    If I'm understanding correctly, if you were to trade your second round pick, then you could not keep whatever player you took in the 3rd round, whoever that was. Because that player would move up to the second round next year if kept, right?

But if this theory is valid, you can't trade someone a first or a second for Stamkos, because I'm guessing he was taken in the first round last year. If that is the case, you'd be trading an asset (the pick) that you will need to draft the player (Stamkos).

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
    In my mind, if you have to artificially bump a player up a draft round to keep them, it often won't be worth it.
    I believe that is the fundamental idea behind the rule.

You probably need to have a Come-to-Jesus with at least some of your fellow league members to hash this stuff out, because I'm only guessing here.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    If I'm understanding correctly, if you were to trade your second round pick, then you could not keep whatever player you took in the 3rd round, whoever that was. Because that player would move up to the second round next year if kept, right?

But if this theory is valid, you can't trade someone a first or a second for Stamkos, because I'm guessing he was taken in the first round last year. If that is the case, you'd be trading an asset (the pick) that you will need to draft the player (Stamkos).

Yes, I think that first scenario is correct.

However, for the second scenario, I think that Stamkos is in a no-keep scenario. He will be hitting the 2nd year draft one way or another, so I imagine giving up a pick + losing a keeper to the draft isn't worth it, unless I can get him for a 3rd round pick.

I'll have a chat with the fellas in the group chat, hopefully things become more clear then.

Right now I'm thinking that making a play for McDavid (5th round entry draft) is the best move I can make, since he would be a keeper for several years at that value.

H2H Points - 10 Team
    G:3/A:2/PIM:0.5/PPP:1/SHP:1/SOG:0.4 +/-: 1
    W:4/GA:-1/SV:0.2/SHO:2

C: Stamkos, Aho, Larkin
    LW: Connor, Huberdeau, Benn (C), Marchessault (C)
    RW: Keller(LW), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Yandle, Werenski, Hamilton, Muzzin
    G: Vasilevskiy, Dubnyk, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yes, I thought about it afterward and I reckon that your theory regarding Stamkos is correct, and that your system is intended for all the first-rounders to be guaranteed to go back into the draft.

In that case, the Stamkos owner is insane to think he can land a first or second or maybe even a third or fourth for a player who will a) be a rental, and b) isn't playing near the top of his game right now.

RETIRED