Thread: Stamkos - In one door, out the other...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Stamkos - In one door, out the other...

Maybe I'm crazy... but I've just done this over the past week

Last week, I traded

Boedker, Fiala & my player 1st (keep 10, so 120 players protected)
    for
    Stamkos

I just traded
    Stamkos & another players 6th (1-4th pick in 180th-ish)
    for
    Giroux, Connor Brown & his 5th (10ish picks earlier)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Stamkos - In one door, out the other...

No one with thoughts on this flip?

Dobber Sports Padawan

That's pretty solid. I especially like the first deal, where you received by far the best player in a 3-for-1. In the second deal, Stamkos and Giroux are pretty much even, but you profited from the secondary parts.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Jedi

I agree with the second deal, I see Giroux as incrementally better over the past two seasons and I really think (Homerism aside) Connor Brown is a bona-fide top six prospect.

With the first deal, I had to rest my chin on my hand to keep my mouth closed when he walked over and said let's do it.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I've got two viewpoints on this trade:

1. If this is a cap/salary pool, I get the first trade. Stammer's going to have a massive salary next year and GMs often need to clear cap room to have a competitive team.
    2. If it is NOT a cap/salary pool... AND it's a keep 10... the first trade is damn close to veto-worthy. Sorry, in a 120-player keeper, I don't believe either Boedker or Fiala is a keeper. If the pick is top two, then maybe Matthews or Puljujarvi is borderline close in value. If it's a 3rd overall pick... it's not worth a lot. Might take a guy like M.Tkachuk or the other Finn about 3-years to be top120 keeper worthy. So it becomes virtually Stamkos-for-nothing(keeper-wise) which might be construed as borderline-veto.

I'm curious what other GMs in league had to say about this trade.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I've got two viewpoints on this trade:

1. If this is a cap/salary pool, I get the first trade. Stammer's going to have a massive salary next year and GMs often need to clear cap room to have a competitive team.
    2. If it is NOT a cap/salary pool... AND it's a keep 10... the first trade is damn close to veto-worthy. Sorry, in a 120-player keeper, I don't believe either Boedker or Fiala is a keeper. If the pick is top two, then maybe Matthews or Puljujarvi is borderline close in value. If it's a 3rd overall pick... it's not worth a lot. Might take a guy like M.Tkachuk or the other Finn about 3-years to be top120 keeper worthy. So it becomes virtually Stamkos-for-nothing(keeper-wise) which might be construed as borderline-veto.

I'm curious what other GMs in league had to say about this trade.
    Boedker's a keeper for him now... kind of has to be. The pick is between 8th & 12th.

3 vetoed the trade, needed 5 to carry. One owner had a serious outcry about it. I think because the vote went through the all-star break, not all the owners checked as regularly which allowed it to go through. We have a separate prospect draft so the pick is abysmal in comparison to Matthews... I had offered my prospect 1st and he requested the player 5th... it probably should have been vetoed.

I thought the trade offer was a weak starting point but who says no, when the other owner says yes?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    3 vetoed the trade, needed 5 to carry. One owner had a serious outcry about it. I think because the vote went through the all-star break, not all the owners checked as regularly which allowed it to go through.
    Just please tell me you aren't the commissioner of this league or that the other guy is a buddy of yours.
    Is it a money league?

It's a foul smelling trade. There's no way this trade is permissible as "fair".

Dobber Sports Jedi

Almost all of us are buddies, 8/12 work together... and I am the Commish. I can see why it smells foul, but it was completely above board.

We had been discussing the trade for weeks... he sent the offer to me that morning. The ASB truly was a random coincidence. I have too much integrity and desire for this league (1st year) to go amiss due to underhandedness

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Almost all of us are buddies, 8/12 work together... and I am the Commish. I can see why it smells foul, but it was completely above board.

We had been discussing the trade for weeks... he sent the offer to me that morning. The ASB truly was a random coincidence. I have too much integrity and desire for this league (1st year) to go amiss due to underhandedness
    Well, you're off to a stellar start on that front.

If you had been "discussing this trade for weeks", what exactly was said that justified it? Because it seems totally bogus to me and apparently to Peng also.

I admit that I'm kind of curious how lengthy discussions could result in such a one-sided, veto-worthy trade.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Well, you're off to a stellar start on that front.

If you had been "discussing this trade for weeks", what exactly was said that justified it? Because it seems totally bogus to me and apparently to Peng also.

I admit that I'm kind of curious how lengthy discussions could result in such a one-sided, veto-worthy trade.
    The best and most honest answer I can give is... I don't know. I can't rationalize why he sent the offer. I had offered significantly more in previous talks, Tyler Johnson and both my 1st round picks (player & prospect) in 2016, which he rejected two weeks prior - still way below, but significantly more than this. I have no defence for why the deal went through. His valuation of Boedker & Fiala I agree is way off. Boedker & Stamkos are similar levels of production this year - and Arz. is on the rise as a team -- those were my selling points.

It is difficult for me to rationalize and explain another persons reasons for making a trade. My rationale for accepting is that I would be stupid not to. I made him an offer that morning, of Boedker, Fiala & prospect 1st - and this was his counter. There wasn't much discussion the morning of the deal, I flipped the offer he countered with the player pick. Had this offer been made to you, would you decline or accept?

I personally made 4 owners aware of the deal minutes after it went down, excited and gloating as one would... only one vetoed. That was their choice. Had it been vetoed, I would have happily offered a better offer. It wasn't, so I didn't.

I can do nothing about the optics of the deal, they are what they are. I hope my response does not come off as defensive as I have no issue attempting to explain this deal. I can't really explain it.