Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: [Trade] Phaneuf to Ottawa in monster deal

The Great One

Default Re: [Trade] Phaneuf to Ottawa in monster deal

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    my point is that if phaneuf's current cap hit was 5M with 5M salary yearly, that would be no different to them if it was a 7M cap hit with 5M salary.

the sens never spend or even come close to the cap. they are usually 7-10M under because Melnyk is cheap as ****.

so even when Karlsson gets his massive raise, they will find ways to cut costs (salary) so they will always be under the cap significantly.
    This makes no sense.

Because of this trade they might not be able to sign Hoffman. It's called a ripple effect.What most of you are struggling to come to terms with.

Cap hit DOES matter. It actually matters more to a cheap team with cheap owners. It cripples the team more.

I'll repeat. This deal is good for Ottawa until Michalek Cowen and Greening come off the books for Toronto. Than Ottawa looses badly..... Unless they offload Doin.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    This makes no sense.

Because of this trade they might not be able to sign Hoffman. It's called a ripple effect.What most of you are struggling to come to terms with.

Cap hit DOES matter. It actually matters more to a cheap team with cheap owners. It cripples the team more.

I'll repeat. This deal is good for Ottawa until Michalek Cowen and Greening come off the books for Toronto. Than Ottawa looses badly..... Unless they offload Doin.

but that is a different arguement, you can't just exclude those dumps.

sens save over 11M next season by moving them out. phaneuf has 33M left in his deal. so really they are spending an extra 22M over 4 years, which is pretty much what you expect to pay a top 4D.

i think the sens would much rather do that and trade hoffman for picks. what's the alternative? keep michalek, greening, cowen and hoffman, and not have enough cap space for a top 4D which they so desperately need?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    but that is a different arguement, you can't just exclude those dumps.

sens save over 11M next season by moving them out. phaneuf has 33M left in his deal. so really they are spending an extra 22M over 4 years, which is pretty much what you expect to pay a top 4D.

i think the sens would much rather do that and trade hoffman for picks. what's the alternative? keep michalek, greening, cowen and hoffman, and not have enough cap space for a top 4D which they so desperately need?
    You make some good points and I'd tend to agree. However, if the Phaneuf that we saw last night is the Phaneuf that they get over the next four years, that player is not worth the $5+ mil a season, let alone $7 mill.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Padawan

I get the feeling, no matter what our cap situation, anybody that walks is going to be held up by Leafs fans as proof that the Phaneuf contract is crippling the team.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Titan

Ottawa’s thinking:
    We care 1st about how much we spend, 2nd is how close we are to the cap.

That’s practically what I think people are trying to say. If his salary raised from 6mill-8mill, and his cap was 6.5 let’s say, maybe Ottawa doesn’t do this deal.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Legend

So how weird will it be hearing Sens fans cheering Phaneuf tonight?
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    True, up until recently.
    But (going forward) one would reasonably assume they intend to spend to the cap.
    Doing otherwise would completely contradict this acquisition in the first place. i.e. If you're serious about improving and contending going forward, you have to spend to the cap. Cup champions aren't cheap.
    It would certainly be counterproductive (and absurd) to acquire a 30 yr old expensive, and declining, asset today, but then try to skimp on the rest of the roster to stay 10 mil under the cap limit...
    yea i'm going by the assumption that they maintain their current cap spending structure. if they intend to spend to the cap then i totally agree with you, but based off what i know about Melnyk that won't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    You make some good points and I'd tend to agree. However, if the Phaneuf that we saw last night is the Phaneuf that they get over the next four years, that player is not worth the $5+ mil a season, let alone $7 mill.
    no denying he was terrible but i think it's pretty safe to say he's a good 2nd pairing dman. i agree no guarentee he will be in a few years which is why i'm quite happy as a leafs fan, no chance we end up as "losers" from this deal, ottawa takes most of the risk but at the same time they win this deal short term guarenteed.

Dobber Sports Padawan

worth pointing out we recently paid a 35-year-old Gonchar $5.5 mil for 2.5 years and had no cap issue. Cap's gone up since then and 30-year-old Phaneuf only makes $1.5mil more. Not seeing a problem. I mean I see lots of problems but it ain't Phaneuf.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Genius

He looked a bit more comfortable tonight as one would expect and will only get more acclimatized as time goes on. He's now in a role everyone and their grandmother knew he's far more suited for and he should flourish and the sens will benefit. The bottom half of their D depth has played below the level needed to be competitive and I'd suggest that he can eat more minutes and add more versatility from the 2nd pairing than your average 3/4 guy.

I'm open to the idea that in a few years his cap hit may not justify his value at that point but it's still a ways a way. Many things can happen cap/roster wise in the mean time.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think it's awesome that Toronto traded Phaneuf to a team in their own division, let alone the Senators! Oh well, at least now when Phaneuf plays in Toronto, they'll probably boo him less on the visiting team. I'd like to see that whenever Phaneuf touches the puck back in Toronto, their fans cheer (in anticipation of a screw-up) instead of booing, because booing Phaneuf in Toronto would seem like a home game for him.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

March 5. Phaneufs return.

Put that in your calendar

Dobber Sports Stud

La Presse published a survey of NHL players this morning (small sample size of 35 players) on a bunch of questions including best arena, worst city, etc.

Guess who won most overrated player with a whopping 38%. And no, this wasn't a multiple choice question so 38% of respondents picked him over any other player in the league.

Most underrated was Kopitar at 15%

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    La Presse published a survey of NHL players this morning (small sample size of 35 players) on a bunch of questions including best arena, worst city, etc.

Guess who won most overrated player with a whopping 38%. And no, this wasn't a multiple choice question so 38% of respondents picked him over any other player in the league.

Most underrated was Kopitar at 15%
    I believe he has held that title for the last 3 years now.