Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: [Trade] Phaneuf to Ottawa in monster deal

Banned

Default Re: [Trade] Phaneuf to Ottawa in monster deal

Tampa added stalman and garrison. New York added boychuk and leddy. Washington added orpik and Nissan rn. None of those teams were legit contenders before those moves. All were marginal. You have to improve to become a contender.

The Great One

It's so amusing to read this thread without having a horse in the race, either in fantasy or based on real life fandom.

My detached viewpoint is Phaneuf was more of a whipping boy than he likely deserved to be, but he also was rightfully considered to be a let down after his early career success. One can make objective arguments in favor of or against the trade as it applies to either team. In the end, that means the trade, even if not ideal, was "fair enough".
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Tampa added stalman and garrison. New York added boychuk and leddy. Washington added orpik and Nissan rn. None of those teams were legit contenders before those moves. All were marginal. You have to improve to become a contender.
    .....especially on defence. Detroit did it for years.

Dobber Sports Stud

My son in law is a huge OTT fan and I'm a Maple Leaf fan. He called me to tell me about the trade and he said that he (and his peers at work -all OTT fans) were planning a pity party for themselves. I mentioned the trade might help OTT initially and he thought I was crazy. So not everyone agrees this is a good trade for OTT. Just sayin.......
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    My son in law is a huge OTT fan and I'm a Maple Leaf fan. He called me to tell me about the trade and he said that he (and his peers at work -all OTT fans) were planning a pity party for themselves. I mentioned the trade might help OTT initially and he thought I was crazy. So not everyone agrees this is a good trade for OTT. Just sayin.......
    I'm going to guess he works for the federal government. A lot of sens fans are very negative

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Half of Ottawa Sun readers don't even like this trade, which is pretty alarming, considering Lindberg and a 2nd is not exactly an overwhelming return for a 7 million dollar man.

Many people obviously understand the cap ramifications of this are very, very bad... even if some are too short sighted to see the impact today.
    Saying "Ottawa doesn't care about his cap hit" might even be true.
    But they will. When it comes time to extend some of their pups, they will rue today's trade.
    Bad trades like this have a ripple effect, and you just have to pray you can eventually get out of them somehow. Miracles do happen though. I hope you find a Clarkson for Horton type trade in 3 years.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/02/09/...ayer-mega-deal
    you really showed us by quoting an Ottawa Sun poll. Next you're gonna screenshot some Facebook comments.

Funny you mention the Clarkson for Horton trade because this is pretty much the exact same thing Ottawa did yet we. Actually got a healthy very useful dman in return and not a cripple. Money in money out.

Ottawa just saved money in order to resign some of the young players and phaneuf salary goes down every season.

As a budget team Ottawa understand their salary situation and wouldn't trade for a contract if they didn't think it would truly help them. Nothing short sighted about it, youre being short sighted because phaneuf was always the scapegoat on your useless squads.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    I mentioned the trade might help OTT initially and he thought I was crazy. So not everyone agrees this is a good trade for OTT. Just sayin.......
    Well....I mean some our fans have also basically concluded that Jason Spezza is a terrible hockey player.

I guess I'm not sure how it could NOT be a good thing for Ottawa? Look at our D; how can anyone say this is a step down? He got beat up on in Toronto for failing to be a great #1 d-man. All he's got to be in Ottawa is a good 2nd pairing d-man. No, less than that. He needs to be better than Cowen. People in Toronto were fixated on his price tag but we've got tons of room right now and even more coming of the books at the end of the season.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

The Great One

Money in money out for the first two years.....than Ottawa looses the deal unless they unload him.

But that's how trades work.

One team wins now, one team wins later.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Half of Ottawa Sun readers don't even like this trade
    LOL it's the Sun. That paper is not fit to line a birdcage.
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    LOL it's the Sun. That paper is not fit to line a birdcage.
    So true... unless you are trying to teach your birds to crap upwards.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Banned

They don't need to unload him.

Again both teams won here. Stop trying to pick one winner

- - - Updated - - -

I give up - it's like trying to tell someone they have a drinking problem. I had no idea the Sens koolaid was this strong.

Just don't give me this "no one could have known it would turn out this badly" speech in 2 or 3 years.
    People did know.
    What would turn out badly? They just cleared deadweight and if he was shit in three years they buy him out. Not gonna happen though. He's a very good player and better than paying two guys not to play in your lineup.

Your points are not valid because you just don't get it.

Banned

Cheers everyone I'm done for now. Good trade for both teams today!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Listening to sens fans try to justify this trade is hilarious

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzy33 View Post
    Listening to sens fans try to justify this trade is hilarious
    I'm not a Sens fan and I think it's a pretty good trade for the Senators. I don't think they gave up anything of considerable value and I think Phaneuf really adds a lot to their d and brings a style of play that they needed.

Plus, spending years listening to Leafs fans talk about Phaneuf like he is John Scott is just as hilarious if you ask me. The guy is a good player-- slightly overpaid, but there are lots of overpaid players in the NHL. Many Cup winners have had overpaid players. You could probably find a pretty stinky contract on every winning team. A bad deal on the books is not a stake through the heart. Anyone saying that the Phaneuf contract will prevent the Senators from fielding a contending team probably doesn't know much about hockey.

Dobber Sports Padawan

No I hear you Gilmour, you're saying $7mil in 3 years from now will be unmanageable. I don't see it. We have Phaneuf where we once had Cowen, Greening, and Michalek taking up even more cap room. The cap will go up and we still won't be at the ceiling. We are looking at $11mil in space WITH Phaneuf before we start re-signing guys. That's a lot of room. Maybe you're saying $7mil for 35-year-old Phaneuf is a lot 5 years from now? Yeah, it will be. Paying a few mil more than a guy is worth is a legit problem for a lot of teams. Ottawa hasn't been one of those teams in a very long time and we were overpaying a good number of guys a good number of millions already. Now a bunch of them play for the Leafs and we got their whipping boy.
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster: