Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost will finish top 5 in points this year, and top 2 next year.

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: Ghost will finish top 5 in points this year, and top 2 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    Prediction time: and I don't think I'm too premature and making this prediction. Ghost based on his performance so far will finish in the top five when it comes to defensemen points in the league this year.

Take this interesting statistic into account: he has played less than 21 games than John Klingberg, but already has more goals. Notably his points per game average is also higher. Oh and he's a year younger.

If you haven't already picked up ghost, or made the big trade for him - what are you waiting for?

I see him surpassing Klingberg in points next year - maybe Karlsson is the only one who can out-point him next year.

So, hypothetically, you would take Gostisbehere over Ristolainen if you could grab either? (Keeper league, points only)

Or would you prefer Ristolainen?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by LPP View Post
    So, hypothetically, you would take Gostisbehere over Ristolainen if you could grab either? (Keeper league, points only)

Yes, I would take Ghost and not look back.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Legend

Ugh, these are two of my favorite D pups in the league. I hate choosing between them, but I think I would go Ghost due to the offensive upside.

Soon, I see Ghost as a Karlson-light, Visnovsky, Shattenkirk type with mucho offense to burn. Rasmus is a future Shea Weber IMO - bomb from the point and will pile up points when Eichel, Reinhart and the Sabres really blossom. Ristolainen will peak around 53-58 points (58 in a career year) and Ghost could break 60+ at his best.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Ugh, these are two of my favorite D pups in the league. I hate choosing between them, but I think I would go Ghost due to the offensive upside.

Soon, I see Ghost as a Karlson-light, Visnovsky, Shattenkirk type with mucho offense to burn. Rasmus is a future Shea Weber IMO - bomb from the point and will pile up points when Eichel, Reinhart and the Sabres really blossom. Ristolainen will peak around 53-58 points (58 in a career year) and Ghost could break 60+ at his best.
    Excellent!

Ya, its not an easy call I'll have to make, but at this point I think I prefer Gostibehere. I will be picking third/fourth and we can also pick some of the rookies (Mathews, Laine, Tkachuk, etc..)... so ideally I can grab Gostibehere and if I can trade for some draft picks, I'll have another selection to make...

Dobber Sports Stud

Excellent!

Ya, its not an easy call I'll have to make, but at this point I think I prefer Gostibehere. I will be picking third/fourth and we can also pick some of the rookies (Mathews, Laine, Tkachuk, etc..)... so ideally I can grab Gostibehere and if I can trade for some draft picks, I'll have another selection to make...
    12 game point streak - most ever by a rookie D man
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Streit played more power play time than the ghost last night, what's with that??

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by BO STUDLEY View Post
    Streit played more power play time than the ghost last night, what's with that??
    Just circumstance.

The first PHI PP occured at 12:53 of the 1st.
    Ghost had been out on even-strength shift for 30+sec.
    Streit came on (as is custom, when an ES player has shifted & possibly tired) and played the full 2min as PHI held puck possession, but didn't score.

The second PHI PP occured at 12:45 of the 2nd.
    Ghost had been on but actually stayed on for first 40sec. Puck freeze at 40sec in meant Streit & PP2 jumped on for 1+min.

The third PHI PP occured at 16:17 of the 2nd.
    Ghost started that one too, playing 1+ min.

And the last, 4th PHI PP occurred at 18:18 of the 3rd, down 3-0.
    So the Flyers had six guys with the extra being Streit.

Ghost is still the PP1 guy. No worries for Ghost owners. (though it's rare that he had 0 sog and missed the net on all 3 shot attempts.)
    Full game log with players on ice.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by BO STUDLEY View Post
    Another reason is that Ghost got hit with a high stick in the 1st period and exited the game for repairs for most of the 4 minute double minor against the rangers. Streit played in Ghost's spot till he returned.

Dobber Sports Titan

I did not hop on the train, and I wish I did. For future use tho, I’d like to see a more reasonable (for repeatability) G:A ratio. Just because his current ratio (0.27:0.57) comes to a 22G:46A season. There was only 2 D who scored 20G last yr (Karlsson and OEL), and only 1 D to get 20+G and 40+A and that was Karlsson.

Nothing against Ghost this yr, but I can’t see him keeping this up next yr. He’ll have to grow as a defenseman which means putting him in less offensive situations and more defensive situations. I’m not saying he’ll be a shutdown D next yr, but 62.5% oZS% is super high. As well as his S% (11.5%).

However, anything can happen. I would just like to see another season of this before I trust him.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Nothing against Ghost this yr, but I can’t see him keeping this up next yr.
    He won't.
    I agree.

I love the guy, but they hype-train has completely derailed and is way off the tracks.
    I really like the guy for offense, I do... but people are extrapolating his stats way too much.
    Way, way, WAY too much.

Ghost is not a top pairing defenseman.
    To score 55+ consistently, one MUST be a top pairing defenseman.
    Karlsson IS, Subban IS, OEL IS, Doughty IS, Keith IS, Klingberg IS... Ghost is not.

Also - because of the new NHL.com, I can't find my old tab to watch all ten of his goals - I'd bet at least 8 or 9 of his 10 goals are scored exactly the same way, from point blasts/snaps with screens.
    Ya know what... almost every NHL defenseman can do this.
    Right now his shots are getting through.
    Most NHL defensemen that bomb point shots score at about 5%-7%.
    Ghost is up at 11.7% right now.
    Some things to note on Ghost, he's basically got all three luck factors going his way:
    1. PHI has been getting a ton of PPTOI, I'm not sure why, but they have (more on that later).
    2. The shots are getting through.
    3. They've been scoring at 3-on-3 and 4-on-3 in OT... and other opps, fortunate.
    That's THREE things all going right for PHI & Ghost right now.

And we always notice when a rookie, especially a rookie defenseman, goes completely OFF in scoring, especially goals - we notice big goals, tying goals, go-ahead goals.
    But it almost never sustains... and Ghost's scoring is too cookie-cutter for me. All the goals are coming the same way.
    Eventually there are things like a slump... or a new coach... and his role gets shifted...
    And then he's a 30pt player and we all wonder why we kept him or Parayko-d him... (I mean "hyped" him)... so much.

His PP scoring is his forte right now, but lets even put it in context per 60min of PPTOI.
    I'd bet most people would think he'd be the NHL D-leader in production per PPTOI... nope.
    Sorting by D-men who have been on for at least 10 goals for, 5-on-4 GF On/60 (courtesy of sort at behindthenet.ca)

1. Shattenkirk 12.78
    2. Klingberg 9.90
    3. A.Martinez 9.77
    4. Krug 9.49
    5. Ristolainen 9.22
    6. R.Murray 8.98
    7. Niskanen 8.55
    8. Yannick Weber 8.69
    9. Shea Weber 8.63
    10. Roman Josi 8.47
    11. Duncan Keith 8.38
    12. John Carlson 8.30
    13. Shayne Gostisbehere 8.03 (*Also, note the GF number for Ghost. 13. He has 18 PPP right now, what does that tell us?)
    OK - the good news is that Shayne is generating PPP at a similar rate to guys like Josi/Keith/Carlson.
    Those are good offensive players... and that's not a surprise, top PP1 D-men will pace for 25 PPP on average, every year.
    25 PPP. That's the number. Know it.
    Don't believe me, go look at Erik Karlsson.
    He's the most dynamic PPP catalyst in the league.
    He's good for 30 PPP yearly... so if that's what he's good for... peg everybody else down around 25 PPP.

...But Ghost is pacing for 40 PPP (he's got 18 PPP in 37gp) - and that's not sustainable.
    Just look at a team like Boston.
    Last year Patrice Bergeron had just 14 PPP... this year he has 20 PPP in first 50 or so games.
    Last year Torey Krug had just 14 PPP... this year he has 13 PPP in first 50 or so games.

That's the comparable, btw, Torey Krug. Shoots at a nice level D-rate of 6% per year, and has done so.
    No peaks or valleys yet... and Krug... 40pt D-man in year #1, year #2, year #3 (and his shots aren't getting through this year at just 1.8%, despite a ton of SOG).
    *Krug actually getting off 3+ sog/gp... Ghost more around 2.5+ sog/gp.
    I don't see them all that differently, except right now PHI is letting Shayne play top-center of PP, whereas Krug is usually more offset to one side of PP-unit.
    But, like I said, these things change... PPP will come & go... 3-on-3 OTpoints will come & go.

Ghost is not a top two NHL D scorer.
    Ghost is not a top five D scorer.
    10-20 range, assuming (IF) the Flyers keep feeding him at the top of point.
    Pengwin7 bookmark.

[btw. I'm not hating on Ghost. I really, really like the kid. He's gonna be a 35-50pt NHL D-man, with fluctuating PPP, Krug-like... but he's not 50+... and people making these threads are skewing minds, IMO... just word of caution to all owners of Ghost in limited-keepers... he does have a correct value... IMO... it's 43pts.]

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Nothing against Ghost this yr, but I can’t see him keeping this up next yr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    He won't.
    I agree.
    [plugs ears] and is not listening to Gold or P7.

Stats, schmats.

I'm choosing to ignore ALL swanky analytics and will trust my eyes and gut on this one.

You fellas can make all the sense in the world and I'm still going with 50+

Ghost eats logic for lunch and craps it out before game time.

Oh, and for the record, Ghost is significantly better defensively than Klingberg. Don't insult poor Ghost like that!! Klingberg makes Housley look like Rod Langway in his own zone.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Oh, and for the record, Ghost is significantly better defensively than Klingberg.
    No chance.
    No chance!
    (said in my post-Cup win Pat Kane voice)

Ghost's defensive game is not good.
    And I, too, am trusting my eyes.

Dobber Sports Titan

[plugs ears] and is not listening to Gold or P7.

Stats, schmats.

I'm choosing to ignore ALL swanky analytics and will trust my eyes and gut on this one.

You fellas can make all the sense in the world and I'm still going with 50+

Ghost eats logic for lunch and craps it out before game time.

Oh, and for the record, Ghost is significantly better defensively than Klingberg. Don't insult poor Ghost like that!! Klingberg makes Housley look like Rod Langway in his own zone.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    He won't.
    I agree.

I love the guy, but they hype-train has completely derailed and is way off the tracks.
    I really like the guy for offense, I do... but people are extrapolating his stats way too much.
    Way, way, WAY too much.

[...]

[btw. I'm not hating on Ghost. I really, really like the kid. He's gonna be a 35-50pt NHL D-man, with fluctuating PPP, Krug-like... but he's not 50+... and people making these threads are skewing minds, IMO... just word of caution to all owners of Ghost in limited-keepers... he does have a correct value... IMO... it's 43pts.]
    I love threads like this one as a (former) Ghost owner...
    I traded him for Weber, thanks to the hype!
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Monster

So as a Ghost owner should I be selling high right now?