Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost will finish top 5 in points this year, and top 2 next year.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Ghost will finish top 5 in points this year, and top 2 next year.

Prediction time: and I don't think I'm too premature and making this prediction. Ghost based on his performance so far will finish in the top five when it comes to defensemen points in the league this year.

Take this interesting statistic into account: he has played less than 21 games than John Klingberg, but already has more goals. Notably his points per game average is also higher. Oh and he's a year younger.

If you haven't already picked up ghost, or made the big trade for him - what are you waiting for?

I see him surpassing Klingberg in points next year - maybe Karlsson is the only one who can out-point him next year.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Ghost will finish top 5 in points this year, and top 2 next year.

How is his defensive game looking right now? When he broke into the league it was not looking great and he was making a splash on the PP and 3vs3. Can this guy be a "franchise d-man" in the sense he'll be able to eat a lot of minutes and shut down opponents biggest offensive weapons?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Rato View Post
    How is his defensive game looking right now? When he broke into the league it was not looking great and he was making a splash on the PP and 3vs3. Can this guy be a "franchise d-man" in the sense he'll be able to eat a lot of minutes and shut down opponents biggest offensive weapons?
    He is still playing sheltered minutes. But it does not matter. He will not be used in defensive situations just because his offensive value is so high to the Flyers. They'll keep using him on the PowerPlay, As well as all offensive situations five on five. I doubt very much that he's going to be counted on in much of a defensive capacity-more likely his defensive partner will pick up the slack. The rules that apply to most defensemen Will not apply to him much in the same way they do not apply to Eric karlsson - I do not anticipate Ghost to be used often in penalty killing situations or in a shut down role.

Banned

I like what I see. A year ago people said klingberg was going to be as good as Karlsson so we should see how he fares in a full season where teams game plan betteto for him.

Dobber Sports Ace

Way premature and I am a Flyers fan. Ghost is doing quite well, but Flyers have a lot of talented D coming, the league will adjust to Ghost and one stretch during a season is too small of a sample of predict upon with certainty
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Stud

I've been riding the 👻🐻 train since its departure from the AHL station. That said, it's pretty unlikely that he can creep into the top 5 this year after being called up a quarter of the way in. He's a real talent, that much we can agree on.

I claimed that Ghost and Hellebuyck were this season's Klingberg and Mrazek. They've made me look smart for the most part and next year I believe they'll have similar success to their comparable counterparts.

Ghost has the skills to be a 60+ point offensive dman, especially getting primo PP time with Giroux and Voracek. The points won't flow anywhere near as easily as they do for Karlsson, but that's just because Karlsson is a freak of nature.

Dobber Sports Stud

I actually think Sanheim and Provorov will have a tougher time transitioning to the NHL just because ghost has been so good. Hextall has already said that he is going to take his time to develop the other prospects - and he does not want them to get a big head and think that the NHL is easy to get into. Undoubtedly those prospects have high offensive upside as well, but because ghost has already taken that niche, they will be fully groomed in the AHL to make sure that they will pick up the defensive slack. I don't think they will have as fast a track as ghost did to get to power play quarterback.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I claimed Ghost from FA after his 2nd game this year.
    No one, NO ONE, in my league knew who he was.
    Thanks dodderhockey and all dobberites!!!
    I then flipped Ghost for Weber. I think I did well with my waiver pick...
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    I claimed Ghost from FA after his 2nd game this year.
    No one, NO ONE, in my league knew who he was.
    Thanks dodderhockey and all dobberites!!!
    I then flipped Ghost for Weber. I think I did well with my waiver pick...
    I too picked up Ghost as a FA immediately after he was called up thanks to the info and tips I received here on Dobber forums. I still own him (though I have had many great offers on him) and am glad to say he is going to be a keeper for me going into next year. Awesome stuff Dobberites.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

The Great One

Yea Im calling thumbs down. This is all about the perfect fit and the right timing. hes clicking on a very dangerous powerplay with superstars. i think he's a "better than average" guy who needs said situation to thrive. Probably more of a 40 point guy long term. He has provided fantastic value for where he was drafted/claimed so I can understand the excitement but Top 5 with surefire top 2 potential (or any top 2 potential) feels waaaay to premature for me. I like your optimism though- Im just not sure I would reccomend selling the farm for ghost bear...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Yea Im calling thumbs down. This is all about the perfect fit and the right timing. hes clicking on a very dangerous powerplay with superstars. i think he's a "better than average" guy who needs said situation to thrive. Probably more of a 40 point guy long term. He has provided fantastic value for where he was drafted/claimed so I can understand the excitement but Top 5 with surefire top 2 potential (or any top 2 potential) feels waaaay to premature for me. I like your optimism though- Im just not sure I would reccomend selling the farm for ghost bear...

I agree saying that Ghost will finish 2nd in the league for defencemen in points next year is a definitely leap of optimism, but I think the Ghost has proved with 27 points in 33 games that he is much better than a 40 point defenceman regardless of who he is playing with and how he is being used.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    He is still playing sheltered minutes. But it does not matter. He will not be used in defensive situations just because his offensive value is so high to the Flyers. They'll keep using him on the PowerPlay, As well as all offensive situations five on five. I doubt very much that he's going to be counted on in much of a defensive capacity-more likely his defensive partner will pick up the slack. The rules that apply to most defensemen Will not apply to him much in the same way they do not apply to Eric karlsson - I do not anticipate Ghost to be used often in penalty killing situations or in a shut down role.
    I see. I disagree Provorov and Sanheim will have a hard time transitioning to the NHL just because PHI defense is not good at this point, specially if they decide to trade Streit. My only fear about Ghost is they will challenge for his PP time in what can become a pretty stacked defense. We all love what we see but I'm not sure we have the next Kilngberg or the next Cam Fowler here.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I love having these types in my league... Allows the Rational to exploit the Emotional.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bra View Post
    I love having these types in my league... Allows the Rational to exploit the Emotional.
    True. I am quite happy (emotional) that a free FA pick up like Ghost has pretty much locked down the win for me in my pool. Further, I am ecstatic (emotion again) that I dropped Fowler to keep Ghost.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    True. I am quite happy (emotional) that a free FA pick up like Ghost has pretty much locked down the win for me in my pool. Further, I am ecstatic (emotion again) that I dropped Fowler to keep Ghost.
    But then again all you said was that you were happy you made a great pick up and were shrewd enough to hold onto him through some questionable offers. Thats different than saying- Ghostibere is one of the top five d-men in the league, on a trajectory into the top two. If you didnt own him I think it would be a mistake to pay the price of a number two d-man for next year. I think that's the "emotional" thinking Bra is talking about (and of course Im guessing here). You should absolutely be stoked about that grab- and if it's tipping the scales than I could see the reason for the Ghost love- lol! I think hes a great player- I just think this is a classic over reaction post (imho). Anyways not tryin to rain on anyones parade- if you have him you likely picked up superstar numbers off the waiver wire. To anyone who had the fortune/insight/instinct to do that, I say fantastic work!!

... just not a top 2 (or 5) d-man :P