Your thought was to just absorb the late hit and see what happens. Concussion, injury, skate away fine. Who knows what would have resulted. You're basically saying that Mac should not have the right toeven defend himself (which IMO is what he did by getting his hands and stick up). He should just absorb the hit and wait for the outcome. Is my analogy perfect? Of course not. But what I was trying to get at was Simmonds was in the wrong for the late hit and all Mac was doing was defending himself. You guys make it sound like Simmonds was skating by and Mac went after him and cross checked him in the head.
But let me ask you this. Why was Simmonds throwing that hit? To me it was beyond late to the point that those hits need to be removed. I've played my fair share of somewhat organized hockey and if I'm coming in late like that, I'm expecting a stick, elbow something to come up or some retaliation, and vice versa.

Even still. This happens. Mac isn't throwing punches etc. Simmonds couldve skated away. Seconds and seconds have went by. He chose to do what he did, and those actions need to be punished. They aren't acceptable.
Simmonds chose to come in very late with a check
He took a cross check/stick high. Not the best or correct reaction by Mac, but then Simmonds chose seconds later to throw a punch. Then a while later he chose to throw his stick across the ice.

The nhl not coming down on him to me is a horrendous mistake.

And to your point, Simmonds threw the late hit AND the sucker punch.

=wonko;1583122]Ok. So you are saying a late hockey check is like sucker punching a person in the face while he is walking down the street minding his own business? That is what you are saying right?

Forgive me If I do not agree with this analogy. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard a more inane analogy Roenick.

I think agreeing to disagree is the gentlest way I can extract myself from this conversation.[/QUOTE]