Thread: Move Vatanen now for D. Pouliot? (same number of playoff round games for me)

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Move Vatanen now for D. Pouliot? (same number of playoff round games for me)

League and team in signature (expansion year, so we have to expose some combination of $5 million cap hits of a guy on our roster from January 1 onward, which is why I have Brassard... before people suggest I get rid of him; who I wouldn't have if I wasn't using him for expansion draft exposure purposes).

Basically, it comes down to this: Vatanen will get a raise that his beyond his fantasy value in our league. Pouliot will still be on his ELC next year. They both have the same number of playoff round games for me, in which I would dress them (2 each in the semis, 4 each in the final). Would you set yourself up for a better situation next season by trading Vatanen for a pick now and pick up Pouliot (he has recently been added and then dropped, so there is a bit of urgency to this), or would you hold out, expecting Vatanen to be "significantly" better in the playoff rounds for me?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Move Vatanen now for D. Pouliot? (same number of playoff round games for me)

I personally think Vatanen will be significantly better, not only this season, but long term.

I feel that Vatanen gets underrated a lot. There's only a handful of defensemen with 50 point upside, and he's one of them. He also has a stranglehold on being the QB of PP1. He's a pretty safe bet for 40 to 45 points, and definitely could hit 50s some day.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Move Vatanen now for D. Pouliot? (same number of playoff round games for me)

I understand this is a cap league, but I'm not sure I would move Vatanen for D.Pouliot.. Pouliot should bd very serviceable one day, but Vatanen is just beginning to scratch the surface here..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ace

To play devil's advocate a bit here... What cap hit does Vatanen take next year? $5 million? With him and Barrie as RFAs and Byfuglien as a UFA, and a cap that isn't going up very much (plus MacK and Kucherov become RFAs), do you think my money would be best spent next season on Vatanen, though?

I can get a third round pick right now for him.

I totally get what you guys are saying, and that's why I am here; to make sure that I do not rush and do something stupid or not well thought out.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd expect 4.5 to 5 mil for Vatanen.

I just think those offers are far below value on him. I'd hold him and go for the win. It it were me I would try moving a goalie (probably Quick) in the off season.

Dobber Sports Ace

I hear what you're saying. A move should still be there in the off-season...! Tough choice, even though it probably ends up being a minor one, either way I go.

Banned

Vat is an easy choice here.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I also think you can get more for Vatanen.. You have a really solid team, very impressive..

Brassard might be a cash cut aswell when it all comes to fruition for you!! Byfuglien might net you the most, which isn't a horrible idea with his soon to be cap hit!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ace

OK, Vat stays. Thanks, everyone.