Thread: Buy low on Rinne?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Buy low on Rinne?

Even tho Rinne has been in the dumps this year, I make this trade if it was presented to me correct? Or what do you guys think?

My other goalies are Holtby and Andersen

12 team 17 Player Yahoo Roto Keeper League - Keep 10
    Start 2G
    W, GAA, Sv%, SO

Hellebuyck and a 1st (9-11 overall)
    For
    Rinne

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: Buy low on Rinne?

I pass.
    His numbers haven't been nearly as good as you think they ought to be over the past 4 years. Last year he had great ratios the two before that, very meh, and this year. Well abysmal. Do not buy into the aging goalie (he's 33) with past injury issues and league average or worse stats in three of the past 4 years. His days as an elite netminder are over.

Keep the young netminder and the draft pick IMO.
    Five teams exist as of now- Two Random Public ESPN Leagues, Three Yahoo Leagues.
    One real keeper league

Dobber Sports Stud

Agreed is never trade a first and youth for over 30. Especially one who had played atrocious-ly

Dobber Sports Star

For me it comes down to what that pick might get you. There will be 120+ players off the table by that pick correct? I think Hell-boy will turn in to a very good goalie going forward and Rinne is starting to show his age, but he's still a damn good goalie. Can you compete next year, realistically? If not stick with what you have.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Stud

i bought Rinne over the All-Star break so consider me a believer......but man this week was brutal

NSH is a Corsi beast.....i really think that team is gonna have a fantastic stretch of games.....adding R-JO was key and they have a lot of home games the rest of the way, but Rinne has to shoulder some responsibility. The last game they doubled up the opponent on SOG but Rinne was a sieve!!!

as far as Hellboy I'd look to make a sale here.....in one year leagues the Jets are going to languish and trade Ladd for sure and maybe Big Buff as well....in a full dynasty the return would need to be greater but there is likely a sucker in your league that would pay top 5 goalie price for a guy who simply isn't that caliber yet....
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't make that trade.

But I have never been a huge fan of Rinne and I have watched him a lot over the years.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by M_Vandenbrand View Post
    I pass.
    His numbers haven't been nearly as good as you think they ought to be over the past 4 years. Last year he had great ratios the two before that, very meh, and this year. Well abysmal. Do not buy into the aging goalie (he's 33) with past injury issues and league average or worse stats in three of the past 4 years. His days as an elite netminder are over.

Keep the young netminder and the draft pick IMO.
    I have to agree. I think Rinne is a bit overrated in fantasy actually. People give Quick hell for not putting up good SV% despite him mostly doing okay to good in that while being consistently one of the best in everything else, yet Rinne seems to get a pass despite several poor seasons.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Superstar

I said when Rinne had his hip issues a couple of years ago that that would likely lead to a shortened career and I'm sticking to that.

Nashville is in a bit of a jam with his contract tho, so they'll roll him out there for as long as they can.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm a Rinne owner, now Rinne has been bad no question, but it feels like an outlier to me. He's been elite since the 2010-11 season. He had one bad year in there where he played hurt and he came back an played at an elite level. The other year was the half season where he was just okay, but it's a half season there were a lot of players who had weird years.

Maybe Rinne has some personal issues that are messing with his head that we don't know about, who knows. I think he is definitely a buy low, now that being said I don't think I'd move hellebuyck for him. In my league I'm actually trying to move Rinne in a deal for Hellenbyuk and I'm going to have to add if he'll even take it. I offered up Backstrom and he turned me down. And the Hellenbyuk owner has Allen and Bishop so he can afford to move him. Any team that is trying to win should be targeting Rinne he can certainly be a difference maker.
    Finished 2nd '09 , 3rd '10, 3rd '11, 2nd '12, 5th '13, 4th '14, 2nd '15
    16 Team Lifetime Keeper: Total Fantasy Points; Weekly Changes (Mon.) 32 Man Roster
    Dress 2 G, 6 D, 12 F

Keep 17 of 32 and Less Than 41gp Career Including Playoffs
    G=2, A=1, +/-=1, Pim=0.2
    W=4, L= -2, SO=5
    F= Parise, Marleau, Kopitar, Nichushkin ,Schwartz, Nyquist, Backes, Backstrom, Perry, Zetterberg, Thornton, Iginla, Lecavalier, Burrows, Goldobin, Jones, Petan, Virtanen, Vrana
    D= S. Weber, Gostisbehere, McDonagh, Miller, Enstrom, Girardi, Colaiacovo, Boyle, Carrick
    G= Lundqvist, Rinne
    , Tokarski

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd keep who you have. Your giving up a really good young goalie and a top pick for a goalie with injury issues that's over 30 and hasn't had too many good seasons in the past few years

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by HRM Fantasy Fan View Post
    I'm a Rinne owner, now Rinne has been bad no question, but it feels like an outlier to me. He's been elite since the 2010-11 season. He had one bad year in there where he played hurt and he came back an played at an elite level. The other year was the half season where he was just okay, but it's a half season there were a lot of players who had weird years.

Maybe Rinne has some personal issues that are messing with his head that we don't know about, who knows. I think he is definitely a buy low, now that being said I don't think I'd move hellebuyck for him. In my league I'm actually trying to move Rinne in a deal for Hellenbyuk and I'm going to have to add if he'll even take it. I offered up Backstrom and he turned me down. And the Hellenbyuk owner has Allen and Bishop so he can afford to move him. Any team that is trying to win should be targeting Rinne he can certainly be a difference maker.

He's had a few elite years but most recently he's been league average AT BEST.

Look at the numbers- http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...rinnepe01.html

3 really good season out of 8 does not make you an elite netminder.

When you have a hard time posting a SV% above .910 with that kind of defense, and a GAA below 2.40, you're anything but elite. Last year would be the outlier over the previous 4 seasons. The end if coming fast for Rinne, whether you choose to believe it or not. Goalies don't usually rebound and return to Vezina caliber stats after the age of 30, let alone 33.

Pekka Rinne would not be a target for me especially if you're looking to win this season, that would be shooting yourself in the foot.
    Five teams exist as of now- Two Random Public ESPN Leagues, Three Yahoo Leagues.
    One real keeper league

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think owners who choose to ignore
    a) his hip injury history, the ramifications of which are disturbing for a goalie to say the least,
    b) his overall performance since returning from said injury, and
    c) his age

do so at their own risk.

The one mitigating factor in his favor is his contract, which will keep Nashville rolling him out there as long as they possibly can.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think the days of Rinne being a top 5 goalie are done. He should be better than he has been recently, so technically yes he would be a buy low, but expecting anything better than a. 915 SV% and a 2.40 GAA may be setting yourself up for disappointment.

His age and injury history are catching up to him.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yes and MAYBE mike ribeiro has has shin splints and an addiction to gin and tonics for his entire career and thats why hes not as good as steven stamkos?????? You dont play fantasy based on personal misfortunes of players. I dont care if you have blue balls or your house is haunted by ghosts, if your not good enough then your not good enough.
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK
    3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 GOALIE

C: Barzal, Mcdavid, J. Staal, Mackinnon, Matthews,

LW: Guentzal, Lee, J.T Miller, Rakell

RW: Point, Nylander, Perron, Marner, Laine

D: Carlson, Hedman, Petry, Byfuglien, McAvoy

G: M. Jones, Price