Thread: Need Keeper help, new to hockey

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Need Keeper help, new to hockey

Hey guys, I took over a dynasty hockey team in a 4 sport league. I havn't played fantasy hockey in about 10 years, so a lot of today's players are unfamiliar to me.
    The team was neglected and really bad. Through some trades, I've got the following roster.
    3pts per goal, 2 per assist, 2 per SHG
    5pts per win, .2 per save, -1 per goal against

Forwards
    Kuznetsov
    Tavares
    Schenn
    Lucic
    Pouliet
    Gallagher
    Huberdeau
    Ehlers
    Kessel
    Van Riemsdyk
    Nugent-Hopkins
    Schwartz

Defensemen
    Shattenkirk
    Gostisbehere
    Ekholm
    Matt Niskanen

Goalies
    Frederik Andersen
    Varlamov
    Greiss
    Hellebuyck

I might be close to trading for Stamkos, Kopitar, or Malkin. Who would be best to ask for?
    I can keep 13, who should they be? Also, who are some guys I should target to build for next year? Who are some guys to package together to trade?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully by reading these forums, I can become a bit more knowledgable in hockey.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Need Keeper help, new to hockey

Forwards
    MacKinnon
    Tavares
    Gallagher
    Huberdeau
    Ehlers
    Monahan
    Van Riemsdyk
    Nugent-Hopkins
    Schwartz

Defensemen
    Ryan Ellis
    Jacob Trouba

Goalies
    Frederik Andersen
    Hellebuyck

Those are the 13 I would keep. As far as targets I would look for a goalie to pair with Hellbuyck and move Anderson/Domingue to try and make that happen.
    If you can get any of Stamkos/Kopi/Malkin I would proceed prioritizing Stamkos/Malkin/Kopi in that order but any of the three would be nice.

I would shop palmeri and scheen and see if you can get anything before this year is over as they wont be keepers but have value for the end of the year
    12 Team Roto Keeper
    G A +/- SOG PPP FOW HITS BLKS PIM
    W GA GAA SV SA SV% SHO
    10 Keepers
    F- Kopitar Kesler Thornton Benn Draisital Pacioretty Kuznetsov Backes D.Sedin Ryan Burakovsky
    D- Subban Faulk Byfuglien DeHann Martinez Trouba
    G- Halak Dubnyk Talbot
    BN- Bjugstad Dubinsky Ryan Gudas Tanev Hanzal Marleau

12 Team H2H
    B- H/AB R H HR RBI SB K TB AVG OBP
    P - IP W HLD SV K ERA WHIP K/9

B: Hosmer Donaldson Correa Trout Harper Heyward Sano Weiters Duffy Pillar Incarte Hernandez Realmuto Peraza Alvarez Span
    P: Cole Sale Fernandez Cueto Hamels Robertson Giles Wilson Colome Watson Samardzija Bauer Knebel
    F: Turner Travis Margot Stephenson Gouirrel Jr

Dobber Sports Titan

Personally I would go for Malkin, Stamkos, Kopitar. Stamkos is a star but he doesn't have the same upside that Malkin does.
    I do completely agree with the names on Dingy's list for the current keepers, but I would bump Schwartz up above JVR and RNH.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the tips guys. Would love as much input as possible.

A few questions for you guys. With points only scored by goal, assist, and shg, are Dmen still worth keeping? I just traded away Brodie because I didn't plan on keeping any Dmen.

Also, what's the future of Nilsson? I traded for him early on because I was told he was a future starter. Was I sold a bill of goods?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

And would Andrei Vasilievskiy be worth grabbing

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by foltzie View Post
    And would Andrei Vasilievskiy be worth grabbing
    If you want to wait a year for Vasi he would be a good add. He’s the TBL next starter, you just have to wait all of next season before you see if he’s starting or not.

I’d personally pick up some outside shot rookies for your final keepers, and then draft Vasi because I doubt anyone would be keeping him for next season. By the rookies I mean like Marner, Nylander, Strome, and Zacha and just have them on your roster. Wait and follow them in the pre-season to see if they freaking explode, if they do, free keeper.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Well I updated my roster because I made a move.
    Traded MacKinnon, Palmieri, Domingue, and Nilsson for Kuznetsov and Varlamov.
    Hope I did well

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for the tips guys. Would love as much input as possible.

A few questions for you guys. With points only scored by goal, assist, and shg, are Dmen still worth keeping? I just traded away Brodie because I didn't plan on keeping any Dmen.

Also, what's the future of Nilsson? I traded for him early on because I was told he was a future starter. Was I sold a bill of goods?

Brodie was definitely your best blueliner prior to trading him. Not liking that move for you. In a league where you keep 13 guys he was a definite.

I like getting Kouzy though, I'd have done MacKinnon straight up for him if you could. Kouzy is my boy so I can understand over paying but that's pretty steep since I'm not sold On Varlamov, he's very meh. Far too streaky. He's a legit number one but not enough to be a difference maker number one.
    Five teams exist as of now- Two Random Public ESPN Leagues, Three Yahoo Leagues.
    One real keeper league

Dobber Sports Novice

Hey guys, I took over a dynasty hockey team in a 4 sport league. I havn't played fantasy hockey in about 10 years, so a lot of today's players are unfamiliar to me.
    The team was neglected and really bad. Through some trades, I've got the following roster.
    3pts per goal, 2 per assist, 2 per SHG
    5pts per win, .2 per save, -1 per goal against

Forwards
    Kuznetsov
    Tavares

Schenn
    Lucic

Gallagher
    Huberdeau
    Ehlers
    Monahan

Van Riemsdyk
    Nugent-Hopkins

Schwartz

Defensemen
    Ryan Ellis
    Matt Niskanen
    Jacob Trouba

Goalies
    Frederik Andersen
    Varlamov

Greiss
    Hellebuyck

I might be close to trading for Stamkos, Kopitar, or Malkin. Who would be best to ask for?
    I can keep 13, who should they be? Also, who are some guys I should target to build for next year? Who are some guys to package together to trade?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully by reading these forums, I can become a bit more knowledgable in hockey.
    Bold are the guys I'd hang onto.
    Five teams exist as of now- Two Random Public ESPN Leagues, Three Yahoo Leagues.
    One real keeper league

Dobber Sports Sophomore

What makes certain defensemen keep able? Seems like forwards offer more offensive upside. I'm just not understanding

Dobber Sports Novice

What makes certain defensemen keep able? Seems like forwards offer more offensive upside. I'm just not understanding

The low amount of blueliners able to produce at high offensive clips. Only a handful of blueliners will crack 40-50 pts where as the numbers of forwards doing so is far greater. It's a matter of scarcity and being able to have more commodities at a scarce position makes them more valuable.
    I can always replace a 40 pts forward. Good luc replacing a 40 pts blueliner kind of idea.
    One real keeper league