Thread: What would you do?

Big Daddy

Default What would you do?

Hey guys, I just joined a keeper league going into it's 13th season. 10 team / H2H / Keep 4.
    Settings:
    Roster Positions

• Position Players
      • C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util

• Pitchers
      • SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P

• Bench
      • BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, NA

Stat Categories (8x8)

• Position Players
      • R, H, HR, RBI, SB, TB, AVG, OPS

• Pitchers
      • W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9, QS

Here are the keeper rules as explained to me...

At the end of every season each manager can keep up to 4 players from their previous season roster.

All players who are not assigned as a keeper will be dropped back into the draft pool.

Each manager must submit their keeper players to the League Commissioner one week prior to the current season's draft.

A manager can only assign a player as a keeper for a consecutive season maximum of 4 seasons. Managers should refer to the keeper page to see which players have reached their 4 year keeper maximum.

When a keeper player reaches the 4 consecutive season mark they must be dropped back into the draft pool at the end of the year. Managers should refer to the keeper page to see which players have reached their 4 year keeper maximum.

When a keeper player that has been dropped back into the draft pool because of the 4 consecutive season maximum, that specific player's consecutive season count is reset to zero for any team.

When a keeper player has been dropped back into the draft pool for extending the 4 year keeper maximum, the player is then fair game for anyone to acquire via draft. Therefore, no matter what team the player is drafted to, even if it's the same team that just dropped the player back into the draft pool, the consecutive season count is reset.

Keeper Player Draft Positioning

Keeper players are arranged to be drafted in the beginning rounds of the draft, or any earlier rounds where managers have picks to assign a keeper.

In the case where a team has more than one pick in a round through draft pick trading, where a keeper player is scheduled to be drafted, the manager's own pick will be the keeper player and any extra pick(s) will be from the draft pool.

The roster I am taking over is irrelevant because if I do decide to keep any players I know for sure I would only be keeping 3 players and they would be Jose Bautista (going into year 3), Yoenis Cespedis (going into year 3) and Jake Arrieta (going into year 2).

I am strongly considering not keeping any players and just going into the draft with the intention of drafting a whole new team. The reasoning for this is because I am slated to have the first overall pick in a year in which Mike Trout is available (coming off a 4 year ownership). There have been draft picks traded last season in this league so the first four rounds will for sure not all be keep picks. So I have the option of a guaranteed Mike Trout, plus taking a chance on drafting very good players with the 11th & 12th overall pick (or even redrafting Bautista, Cespedes or Arrieta) or I can keep those three and pick from which other players that will be left in the draft pool. Other high profile players that are coming off a 4 year ownership and will be placed in the player pool are: Bryce Harper, Chris Sale, Adam Jones, Ian Desmond, Buster Posey & David Price.

So how would you handle this situation and what would be your draft plan moving forward. Looking forward to several opinions but as of now I am almost certain that I'd like to keep 0, draft Mike Trout and move on from there.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Re: What would you do?

I would go on a baseball site and seek info and opinions.But that's just me.

Dobber Sports Titan

Thelafluer was pretty rude there considering this is a sports forum, and you did in fact post in the baseball section.

Now on to your question. Without a doubt I’d keep 0 players and draft Mike Trout. I’d do exactly what you’re thinking and draft a brand new team (avoid Ian Desmond…) and rock and roll with Trout.

Some food for thought, you’ll have quite an issue in 3 yrs when your core is set to be free agents again, but maybe a trade can be worked around then. But that’s an issue for you to think about later, not now. 100% go and draft Trout.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

I think I understand your position here and if it's me, I'd keep the three you are considering and draft Trout as anticipated first overall. Why drop the other three if you don't have to at this point? All three of them should be productive for your team.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think I understand your position here and if it's me, I'd keep the three you are considering and draft Trout as anticipated first overall. Why drop the other three if you don't have to at this point? All three of them should be productive for your team.
    My understanding was, let’s say he keeps Bautista, he slots into the 1st overall pick slot, then if he keeps Arrieta, it slips into his next highest pick slot (11th), then the next keeper slots into the next highest and so on.

So I read it as keep the 3 (out of 4) forfeiting his 3 highest picks, or let all go and draft Trout. With his 1st overall

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I may be confused here but if Bautista slots into first overall, couldn't he drop Bautista and Cespedes and keep Arieta and still draft Trout?

If that's the case then I keep the arm and draft Trout, if its not and all need to be dropped then I do that and grab Trout.
    12 Team Roto Keeper
    G A +/- SOG PPP FOW HITS BLKS PIM
    W GA GAA SV SA SV% SHO
    10 Keepers
    F- Kopitar Kesler Thornton Benn Draisital Pacioretty Kuznetsov Backes D.Sedin Ryan Burakovsky
    D- Subban Faulk Byfuglien DeHann Martinez Trouba
    G- Halak Dubnyk Talbot
    BN- Bjugstad Dubinsky Ryan Gudas Tanev Hanzal Marleau

12 Team H2H
    B- H/AB R H HR RBI SB K TB AVG OBP
    P - IP W HLD SV K ERA WHIP K/9

B: Hosmer Donaldson Correa Trout Harper Heyward Sano Weiters Duffy Pillar Incarte Hernandez Realmuto Peraza Alvarez Span
    P: Cole Sale Fernandez Cueto Hamels Robertson Giles Wilson Colome Watson Samardzija Bauer Knebel
    F: Turner Travis Margot Stephenson Gouirrel Jr

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dingy View Post
    I may be confused here but if Bautista slots into first overall, couldn't he drop Bautista and Cespedes and keep Arieta and still draft Trout?

If that's the case then I keep the arm and draft Trout, if its not and all need to be dropped then I do that and grab Trout.
    My understanding is it doesn’t matter who he keeps, it just slots into the highest available pick.

Keeps any player (could even be his worse), then it slots into his 1st overall pick, the next player he keeps goes into his next available pick (11th I think).

So he keeps Arrieta and Cespedes, he’s forfeiting his 1st 2 picks (1st, and 11th). He keeps Bautista and Cespedes it’s the same thing. He keeps Arrieta he just forfeits his highest pick (1st overall). He keeps Arrieta, Bautista, and Ces he’ll have to forfeit his 3 top picks (1st, 11th, and 12th).

I could be wrong tho. Would help if the OP clarified this.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

That makes sense as well, I think what the advice boils down to either way is do what is needed to draft Trout.
    12 Team Roto Keeper
    G A +/- SOG PPP FOW HITS BLKS PIM
    W GA GAA SV SA SV% SHO
    10 Keepers
    F- Kopitar Kesler Thornton Benn Draisital Pacioretty Kuznetsov Backes D.Sedin Ryan Burakovsky
    D- Subban Faulk Byfuglien DeHann Martinez Trouba
    G- Halak Dubnyk Talbot
    BN- Bjugstad Dubinsky Ryan Gudas Tanev Hanzal Marleau

12 Team H2H
    B- H/AB R H HR RBI SB K TB AVG OBP
    P - IP W HLD SV K ERA WHIP K/9

B: Hosmer Donaldson Correa Trout Harper Heyward Sano Weiters Duffy Pillar Incarte Hernandez Realmuto Peraza Alvarez Span
    P: Cole Sale Fernandez Cueto Hamels Robertson Giles Wilson Colome Watson Samardzija Bauer Knebel
    F: Turner Travis Margot Stephenson Gouirrel Jr

Big Daddy

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I could have sworn I clicked on Baseball Keeper forum. Can a mod move this thread please?

As for clarification, it is a bit complicated. The first 4 rounds are designated for keeper players. So if I decided to keep Bautista, Cespedes and Arrieta that would take up overall picks 1st, 11th and 12th. If I only keep 1 player than I can use picks 11 & 12 to draft from the player pool. The reason that I would have to let go of all my keepers is because of draft pick trades that happened last season.

Example: if a team traded David Price for a first round pick than the team that received the pick will have two first round picks. One of those picks would be designated for his keeper and the other would be used to pick from the player pool. I hope that clarifies for everyone.

Dobber Sports Novice

Yea that is a no brainer to keep zero and draft Trout. Only 10 teams in the league and having the CF slot makes Trout even more valuable than normal. Having H and TB as categories makes the speedy leadoff types more valuable. Pitching is super deep and always fickle. I'd load up on hitters the first several rounds. Specifically highish average types. Pollock and Blackmon would be great fits for this format. Wait to see what pitcher falls in your lap in the 4th or 5th round then be sure to grab some young high K rate upside pitchers later. Berrios, Glasnow, Stroman, Wheeler, Matz, Severino, McCullers are a few to keep an eye on. Also Dylan Bundy is out of options and will be up with Baltimore to start out. Grab him if he looks good in spring training. If Aaron Sanchez wins a rotation spot he'll be a close watch too.
    Standard 12 team Yahoo Roto: (G), (A), (+/-), (PIM), (PPP), (SOG), (W), (GAA), (SV%), (SHO)
    Team 1
    C: Malkin(RW), Backes(RW)
    LW: Landeskog, Doan(RW)
    RW: Tarasenko, Okposo
    D: Shattenkirk,Faulk,Brody,Hamilton
    B: Abdelkader(RW)
    G: Fleury,Gibson,Anderson,Hellebuyck,Howard
    IR: McDavid(C)
    Team 2
    C: Tavares, Duchene(LW)
    LW: Cammelleri(C), Larkin(C)
    RW: Sharp(C)(RW), Backes(C)
    D: Subban, Phaneuf,Doughty,Giordano
    B: Hartnell(LW)
    G: Bishop,Hellebuyck,Gibson,Anderson,Reimer
    IR: Halak

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I could have sworn I clicked on Baseball Keeper forum. Can a mod move this thread please?

As for clarification, it is a bit complicated. The first 4 rounds are designated for keeper players. So if I decided to keep Bautista, Cespedes and Arrieta that would take up overall picks 1st, 11th and 12th. If I only keep 1 player than I can use picks 11 & 12 to draft from the player pool. The reason that I would have to let go of all my keepers is because of draft pick trades that happened last season.

Example: if a team traded David Price for a first round pick than the team that received the pick will have two first round picks. One of those picks would be designated for his keeper and the other would be used to pick from the player pool. I hope that clarifies for everyone.
    You put it under keeper advice for baseball. You have the right place. I think that lafleaur guy was saying don’t ask Dobber because it’s primarily hockey. Which don’t listen to that, even tho Dobber’s football and baseball community is smaller; there are a lot of smart guys that post for these sports.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    You put it under keeper advice for baseball. You have the right place. I think that lafleaur guy was saying don’t ask Dobber because it’s primarily hockey. Which don’t listen to that, even tho Dobber’s football and baseball community is smaller; there are a lot of smart guys that post for these sports.
    Thanks. I'm pretty new to the Dobber forums and have been really enjoying the hockey conversation in those forums. I noticed the baseball forums aren't very active but hopefully that can change with more members.

So just as I figured, it was a unanimous yes yo drop my keepers in order to draft Trout. Not sure how these guys in this league operate their teams & drafts but the more teams that keep all 4 keepers the better it'll be for me considering I am starting from scratch. I'll be missing out on some good talent from their keepers but getting Mike Trout sure will help and I'd imagine I'll be able to get 1 or even 2 of Bautista, Cespedes or Arrieta if I want them once my 11 and 12 picks roll around.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Titan

They’ll get slightly more active closer and closer to the season, but it’s still not as in depth as some other sites. But anyone who posts on here is pretty good with their advice. You’ll never get someone here who will post something saying to go to another source for your info. That’s actually the first time I’ve ever seen that before.

It actually took me a good 3 months before I realized this site had threads non-hockey related lol.

Big Daddy

The hockey forum is great. I love going on there for advice and giving my two cents to people looking for opinions.

Unfortunately I forgot to mention this draft is serpentine and I won't have the 11th & 12th pick. After I pick Trout I won't be drafting again until picks 20 & 21. I'm still confident I can put together a strong lineup considering each team keeps 4 and the commissioner has told me most teams keep all 4.