Thread: Conor Garland (QMJHL, 2015 5th round pick - ARI)

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Conor Garland (QMJHL, 2015 5th round pick - ARI)

I don't think I've ever seen such a weird team stats page...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...014432016.html

Conor Garland leading the QMJHL in points with 104 points (74 assists) vs. 2nd highest scorer in the 'Q' with 75 POINTS.

Meanwhile, the 2nd highest scorer on his team only has 56 points.

That is quite something...
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

I...am your father.

Default Re: Conor Garland (QMJHL, 2015 5th round pick - ARI)

Found one! Took me a couple of tries...
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...051802006.html
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

What Garland is doing is very impressive. He's been on my radar for a while but I dropped him from my prospect list to start the year so I could pick up Colin Miller who was more NHL ready. Possibly could regret that but here are the factors I considered when dropping him:

1. He gets a lot of ice time. Like rarely steps off and often gets double or triple shifted. With so much ice time you can expect to get a lot of points.

2. He went undrafted his original draft year so this is basically his draft +2 season. It's not rare for players to start dominating in their overage season only to have trouble translating that production.

3. He's small and shifty but not necessarily speedy. Tough to tel how he'll adjust to NHL defenders. Will he have the vision to avoid hits and create offense like Gaudreau or will he have more trouble like Jeff Skinner?

That's not to take away from his accomplishments because what he's been doing is pretty amazing. He's also scored at a high rate before the qmjhl, outscoring eichel on an earlier team while being a year older.

He could turn in to the next Johnson as a small player who went unnoticed his draft year but increased his production a ton and found a way to translate it to the NHL. He could also end up as one of the many players who couldn't translate their overage production to the NHL. Nonetheless, it will likely be at least a couple years more for him. If you're going for pure upside he's a good pick but you could probably find safer guys with really good upside as well
    Dynasty
    16 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, SVS, GAA, SV%

C: C. McDavid, J. Eichel, E. Kuznetsov, V. Trocheck, J. Blandisi
    RW: T. Toffoli, N. Soshnikov, T. Wilson, T. Jurco
    LW: J. Drouin, B. Schenn, E. Kane, F. Vatrano

D: J. Faulk, D. Hamilton, S. Jones, N. Hanifin, M. Dumba, D. Severson, K. Russell, M. Borowiecki

G: F. Andersen, K. Ramo, A. Vasilevskiy, O. Pavelec

Prospects: K. Connor, S. Aho, D. Sprong, Z. Paigin, I. Sorokin

The Great One

It was pretty much him and Barbashyov last year. His production hasn't dropped at all even with Barbashyov turning pro.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm not ready to anoint him a stud but in my opinion he has as much fantasy upside as some of the forwards taken in the back-end of round 1 that year. Worth rostering for sure

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I'm not ready to anoint him a stud but in my opinion he has as much fantasy upside as some of the forwards taken in the back-end of round 1 that year. Worth rostering for sure
    don't see how you would come to the conclusion. In this day and age there are not many guys like that who are scoring a ton who don't get noticed properly. He obviously has big issues to limit his NHL chances.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    don't see how you would come to the conclusion. In this day and age there are not many guys like that who are scoring a ton who don't get noticed properly. He obviously has big issues to limit his NHL chances.
    I came to that conclusion from what I've seen of the kid. Everyone has issues, not sure how that effects his upside. Draft position isn't everything. I guess Jamie Benn and Pavel Datsyuk couldn't get over their big issues either. I don't need to tell you... almost every draft as produced a legit fantasy stud in late rounds. I'm not saying Garland is winning a Conn Smythe and wearing a C within 3 years. But am I crazy to think he has as much of a FANTASY upside than guys like Roslovic, Erikson Ek, Beauvillier.... well, I don't think so. In fact, I think it's less realistic for you to say that it's out of the question. These are teenagers we're talking about. This is a game of finding diamonds in the rough. I personally think I've found one. If you disagree, move along and keep looking elsewhere! No harm no foul... I'll be willing to bump this thread in a few years if he's the next Tyler Johnson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I came to that conclusion from what I've seen of the kid. Everyone has issues, not sure how that effects his upside. Draft position isn't everything. I guess Jamie Benn and Pavel Datsyuk couldn't get over their big issues either. I don't need to tell you... almost every draft as produced a legit fantasy stud in late rounds. I'm not saying Garland is winning a Conn Smythe and wearing a C within 3 years. But am I crazy to think he has as much of a FANTASY upside than guys like Roslovic, Erikson Ek, Beauvillier.... well, I don't think so. In fact, I think it's less realistic for you to say that it's out of the question. These are teenagers we're talking about. This is a game of finding diamonds in the rough. I personally think I've found one. If you disagree, move along and keep looking elsewhere! No harm no foul... I'll be willing to bump this thread in a few years if he's the next Tyler Johnson
    I'd bump it too if I were you .

What I meant was the chances of getting Benns and Datsyuks are very small in this day and age. Gaudreau, Stone, Benn, Klingberg (maybe) are the only ones that come to mind at the moment. But that's such a small amount.

I have never seen Garland and know nothing about him so I'll defer to you

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post

What I meant was the chances of getting Benns and Datsyuks are very small in this day and age. Gaudreau is an exception to the rule. I doubt almost every draft has produced a legit stud in late rounds.

I know nothing about Garland FYI. The fact that you have seen him is great.

- - - Updated - - -

What I meant was the chances of getting Benns and Datsyuks are very small in this day and age. Gaudreau, Stone, Benn, Klingberg (maybe) are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.
    I have a soft spot for the overlooked small skill guys. I think the next 5-10 years is when we start seeing them finally get respect. I like to take my chances on them any opportunity I get-- although it's more of a shot-in-the-dark type thing instead of a guy I hitch my wagon to and treat as a valuable asset. I love fantasy lottery tickets

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm all for taking shots at small skilled guys but I'm not sure Garland is the guy. He's very shifty but he doesn't have high end speed which could hurt him. His production also has a lot to do with his insanely high TOI and he takes extremely long shifts. Very feisty so I could see a Brad Marchand type with maybe a little more skill as his ceiling but the chances of him making the NHL are pretty low in my opinion
    Dynasty
    16 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, SVS, GAA, SV%

C: C. McDavid, J. Eichel, E. Kuznetsov, V. Trocheck, J. Blandisi
    RW: T. Toffoli, N. Soshnikov, T. Wilson, T. Jurco
    LW: J. Drouin, B. Schenn, E. Kane, F. Vatrano

D: J. Faulk, D. Hamilton, S. Jones, N. Hanifin, M. Dumba, D. Severson, K. Russell, M. Borowiecki

G: F. Andersen, K. Ramo, A. Vasilevskiy, O. Pavelec

Prospects: K. Connor, S. Aho, D. Sprong, Z. Paigin, I. Sorokin