Thread: Quality of the second half of the 2016 first round ?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Quality of the second half of the 2016 first round ?

There is a lot of talk about the top 5 or top 10. The thing is in a 12 teams point only league, I don't have a first round pick. I'm debating between keeping my two second round picks (probably 13th and 24th total) or trading them to improve my active roster. It's a full keeper and half my team is above the age of 30, so I need some kind of prospects.

After the top 10 picks, how good is this draft class compared to other years. I think last year was pretty good, but let's say compared to the last 5 years, is it an average year, a good year or a not so deep year for points only purpose.

Thanks to all knowledge scouts in you!

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Quality of the second half of the 2016 first round ?

in terms of the first round, there are lots of similarities between this year and last year's drafts, minus mcDavid. Matthews compares nicely to eichel, puljujarvi and laine are on par with strome and marner. you've got two very good defence prospects at the top in chychrun and juolevi, although they're probably not on the level of last year's big 3. but not so far behind. nylander, tkachuk and McLeod will also be really good forwards.
    in terms of where you'd be picking, you should be expecting very similar value to the 2015 draft. in points only leagues, you'll have lots of good prospects to choose from - Gauthier and dubois will probably be gone by then, but you've still got Tyson jost, max jones, logan brown, clayton keller, kiefer bellows, alex debrincat, and D prospects dante fabbro, jake bean, Charlie mcavoy and Mikhail sergachev.
    maybe a tiny step lower than last year's draft, but much better than 2014.
    and keep in mind, 2017 looks to be one of the worst drafts in recent memory, so if you need prospects, do it this year cause there won't be as much to choose from next year. 2018 is supposed to be another great year again, btw.

Dobber Sports Titan

I’m pretty sure tonight is Bob MacKenzie’s prospect show on TSN. I’m going to watching it if I didn’t miss it.

Ya it is tonight on TSN1/TSN5
    “7PM Bob McKenzie’s Mid-Season Draft Rankings”
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I’m pretty sure tonight is Bob MacKenzie’s prospect show on TSN. I’m going to watching it if I didn’t miss it.

Ya it is tonight on TSN1/TSN5
    “7PM Bob McKenzie’s Mid-Season Draft Rankings”
    Thanks for the heads up. +1

Dobber Sports Titan

I got caught up in a Netflix binge. Looked at my phone and it was 7:50pm, didn’t bother tuning in after that. But TSN released an article about the show I guess.
    http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-mid-season-dra...three-1.435206
    I’m a bit surprised Laine is 2nd. I honestly thought it was Puljujarvi . But Laine has more points, more goals, while playing in less games; he’s also ½” taller, and 3lbs heavier. I guess when all is weighed, Laine comes out on top?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Laine is the clear consensus No. 2 choice over his countryman Puljujarvi.

Seven of the 10 scouts had the 6-foot-4 Laine at No. 2 and 6-foot-3 1/2 Puljujarvi at No. 3.

Laine was designated as perhaps the only prospect with a legitimate chance to challenge Matthews for No. 1.

The race for No. 2 was close, but Laine got the edge over Puljujarvi for what a number of scouts described as his “dynamic” element.

“Both [Laine and Puljujarvi] are great players,” a scout said. “Both can skate and shoot and score and there isn’t a lot to choose there, but Laine maybe is more of a pure goal scorer, a game-breaker with a little higher offensive ceiling.”

One scout offered an interesting comparison, using Teemu Selanne and Jari Kurri. The scout wasn’t comparing Laine to Selanne or Puljujarvi to Kurri, but was he was comparing the difference between this year’s generational Finns to the difference between yesteryear’s Finnish superstars.

“Laine is flashier; Puljujarvi is more complete,” the scout said. “They’re both great players; they’re both going to get their goals, though they may go about it a little differently.”

that's surprising to me. i felt Puljujarvi was the more flashy one, Laine the more complete player. If Laine is ranked ahead of Puljujarvi I would have thought it was mostly based on size.

Very interested to see where they end up.