Thread: Implementing a Salary Cap

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Implementing a Salary Cap

Hey Everyone!

Our keeper league is four years deep at the moment with 13 teams and a 16 man roster. We're currently discussing changes to the league to make it more competitive and to spice things up, I suggested a salary cap.

Has anyone been in the same situation as we're in? If so, how did you make the rule changes? Where did you come up with a dollar value for the cap? Is this going to be as simple as some guys will benefit and some won't but too bad sorta thing?

If anyone has any do's and don'ts that they don't mind sharing it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    13 Team Keeper (keep 6), Weekly H2H, Dress 6 F, 4 D, 2 G's. 1G, 1A, GA -1,S0 .1, SHO 1, W 1.5

F: P. Kane, Eichel, Kopitar, JVR, E. Stall, Oshie, Horvat, Bergeron, Johnson, Toffoli, Palmieri
    D: Buff, Carlson, Martinez, Niskanen, Phaneuf
    Goalies: Andersen, Budaj, Mrazek, Condon

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Implementing a Salary Cap

I don't see how you can put in a cap after teams have already been drafted. I'd go with a re-draft, otherwise GMs will be unhappy for sure.

If you just implement the cap right away, there's going to be a bunch of weird trades with salary dumping for very little in return just to get under the cap.

Cap league is ENTIRELY different than regular fantasy.

As for the cap value, we use real salary cap hits from the NHL. Our league cap started at something like 20%(?) higher than the real NHL cap and goes up by the same % as the NHL cap would each year.

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov

Administrator

We did this several years ago. It did take some time for everyone in the league to get their bearings are get accustomed to having a cap and to how it affected their keeper strategies (or not), but in the end it worked out well.

At the time, we had decided to use annual salaries for our league (we've since moved to cap hit), in part because they were available on the nhlpa.com website (this was before the capgeek days). If I remember correctly, the initial cap number that we chose was loosely based on the average salary of the players currently on the teams in our league, and then adjusted to make things interesting. We had also chosen to adjust our league's cap by the same percentage every season, that the NHL's salary cap was adjusted.

The annual percentage-based adjustment ended up bumping our salary cap too high to the point where it was no longer much of a challenge, so we adjusted our rules to keep the cap within reasonable limits. We now use a cap of slightly over 80.5 million for 22 players per team (10 teams in the league)
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Ace

We've used salary. I think what you should do is take all of the salaries on the rosters now = x. Divide that by 208 and get a number (x). See how that compares in relation to say the average of the top 50 salaries today and go from there.

Just as an example. Lets say the top 50 salaries average 6M 6x 16 spots = 96M per team The cap is 71M so maybe you would want to do +20M to make it doable but also force decision making?

You do need to make sure you are either allowing most teams to keep 90+% of what they have drafted etc or you will have an issue changing this after the fact.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The problem with most salary leagues I've seen is that they try to duplicate the NHL cap, but of course they use fewer players and the ones they use are the higher $ guys. So you have to scale the cap up to make it reasonable, as the two above me have said. In my league, we do an auction to set the salaries; the auction cap is $200, but then season cap is $220. This allows for trading and flexibility. We also have limited contracts, which create a good player turnover mechanism. That way, there is a fair number of top end guys that turn over each year, and everyone has a shot every year.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Are there really only 4 scoring categories? Umm...there's a lot more in the spice rack aside from salary caps....

I second finminer's thoughts. We set a salary cap on our own and let the 'market' decide salaries through a bidding process.

That said, I have no idea how to implement that in a league in which the rosters are already filled. But with so few scoring categories, it might not be so bad.

Decide on some sort of arbitrary 'average player salary', like $10. 16 player roster makes the salary cap $160. Now take some stats from this year (I recommend Point Share) or this AMAZING spreadsheet (http://www.hockeyabstract.com/testim...edirects=0&d=1), add up the point shares of all the players on a team, solve for what %age each player is responsible, assign that %age of $160 to that player, and voila! Player salaries!

Crude? Extremely. But since you aren't messing with Hits or faceoffs or special teams points, it doesn't need to be terribly sophisticated.

This method would put everyone's roster at the cap limit, so pad it a little bit ($180? $200?). You don't want to introduce something like this that immediately puts all teams in a precarious spot.

Then after you have the salaries on your rosters set, you can use a bidding system for free agents going forwards. The contract length (which should be limited to a degree) and amount are determined by what the owner wishes to bid.

Salary/Auction leagues are a ton of fun.
    12 Team Custom Contract Keeper - ESPN H2H - $290 cap for 15-16 (Year 2)
    G,A,+/-,PIM,SOG,HIT,BLK,STP,W,GAA,S%
    3 C,LW,RW, 5 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G, 7 Bench, 2 IR

C: Stamkos,Johansen,Stastny,Ribeiro
    L: Ovechkin,Marchand,Komarov,Galchenyuk,Burakovsky
    R: Kessel,Ryan,Abdelkader,Jenner
    D: Shattenkirk,Letang,Ekblad,McDonagh,Hamilton,Borowi ecki,Carlson,Alzner,Orpik
    G: Holtby,Rask,Korpisalo
    IR: Bobrovsky

Minors: Meier,Crouse,Fiala,Bracco,Virtanen

Dead money: $11.50 | 2016 Cap Hit: $273.50

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for all the input!

And yes, there really is only 4 categories... Terrible, I know!
    13 Team Keeper (keep 6), Weekly H2H, Dress 6 F, 4 D, 2 G's. 1G, 1A, GA -1,S0 .1, SHO 1, W 1.5

F: P. Kane, Eichel, Kopitar, JVR, E. Stall, Oshie, Horvat, Bergeron, Johnson, Toffoli, Palmieri
    D: Buff, Carlson, Martinez, Niskanen, Phaneuf
    Goalies: Andersen, Budaj, Mrazek, Condon

Dobber Sports Sophomore

We implemented a salary cap 6 years ago. all teams were redrafted. we use an annual Fixed $60 million cap,but salaries increase yearly. we use an auction style for our free agents auction as well as a 3 round entry draft where a salary is assigned to player depending on round drafted. We also use limited contracts, 5 years is the max a player can be "off the market". the increasing salaries make for more trades and tougher roster decisions. there is pretty good parity in our 12 team league this year, 9 of 12 team still in playoff contention with 5 games to go before playoffs.
    12 Team Capped (Auction Style) H2H League
    G, A, +/-, W, SO, OTL
    20 player min, 23 Max. $60M Cap
    Start 12 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Kuznetsov , toffoli, staal, Turris
    W: Schwartz, Grandlund, Palat, Spooner, Rakell,
    D: Carlson, Hedman, Gostisbehere, Lindell, Maatta, Pieterangelo
    G: Lundqvist , Quick, Elliot
    Farm: Petan, Buchnevich, Bjorkstrand, AHO,
    4 Time HOLE Fantasy Hockey League Champion: 2011, 2013, 2015, & 2017

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Don't even bother to try and implement a cap in a league that has already been drafted. We floated the idea around last year after about 5 years and the fighting and back and forth was just too much for the commish. Best idea would be to start a new cap league concurrent to your non cap league. If you are thinking about ending your current league to do a redraft there absolutely needs to be a wind down date (something along the lines of 2-3 years minimum) If you have a look at my team in my sig you will understand why some Managers would be very upset to have all their hard work cancelled without warning to do a redraft with a cap. Hope that helps.
    10 team, H2H, keep 10 + 1 player designated NA, Yahoo league, Daily changes.
    G, A, PPP, SOG, GWG, +-, SHP, PIM, BLK
    GS, W, L, SVPC, GAA, SHO
    C C C RW RW RW LW LW LW D D D D UTIL UTIL (no goalies) GOALIE GOALIE BENCH BENCH BENCH BENCH BENCH BENCH BENCH IR IR NA