Thread: Drop Ullmark for Matt Murray?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Drop Ullmark for Matt Murray?

The Buffalo crease is still fairly open with Robin 'Band Aid Bandit' Lehner and Ullmark seemed to hold his own (without having stolen the starting position).

Murray has put up good numbers everywhere he's played but is a few years from any chance at a starting job in Pittsburgh.

I'm in a deep keeper league and currently have Dallas goalies, Hellebuyck and Mrazek.

Thoughts?
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Drop Ullmark for Matt Murray?

What's that old saying, six of one half a dozen of the others.

I think both Murray and Ullmark have bright futures but I think Murray will have a longer wait for his shot. Of course, that all depends on the progression of Lehner too.

Tim Murray paid a premium for Robin Lehner and as long as he's healthy, he will get every chance to succeed or fail. Basically, he will get all the rope he wants. Ullmark's opportunities will all come down to the health of Lehner for a while but with that being said, Lehner hasn't really been able to stay healthy either. Chad Johnson has played well for Buffalo this year but his contract expires at seasons end and will be a UFA. I doubt they re-sign him when they still have guys like Ullmark, Makarov and Lieuwen in the AHL right now, all capable of backing up/playing in the NHL.

MAF still has three more years after this one on his current deal. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think Murray is the better goalie prospect but Ullmark will arrive sooner.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Expert

Murray is playing lights out in the AHL right now, but his back-up Jarry is even doing a little bit better. He seems to be ready to play more games. As i don't think the Pens will resign Zatkoff, there's a chance that Murray will be in the NHL as soon as next season, with Jarry playing a ton of games in the AHL.

Once Murray is in the league, he has all the chances to make it really hard for Fleury to keep the starting job. Fleury wasn't always s good as this season, there were seasons were he couldn't outperform Vokoun or Zatkoff. So the way for Murray could be a lot shorter than it seems.

Right now i would definitely want Murray, he is a top 5 upcoming goalie, maybe the best who is not in the NHL right now.