Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Drouin traded in the next 24 hours?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Drouin traded in the next 24 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    When discussing why Drouin hasn't worked out in TB, I hear/read this a lot. But could it be, the reason he hasn't worked out, is because he's just not as good as everyone expected him to be?
    No, Drouin is a widely acknowledged elite talent. He was not some random pick, he had proven himself at every level and earned his high draft status.

TB has been a poor fit for a number of reasons, but we all know that good TOI + linemates = good opportunity and that good opportunity = improved chance of success. Cooper clearly did not give Drouin a good opportunity last season or this season; in fact at any mis-step (which should be expected with any young player) Drouin was either benched, had his TOI cut, got shifted down lines or demoted to the AHL. Cooper has rubbed a bunch of TB players the wrong way including Stamkos by several accounts (one reason he is hesitant about staying). Cooper has a preference for vets as we've seen with Callahan & Filppula being played way more than they deserve and giving Stralman 1st PP spot over Hedman etc.

Drouin has his own issues and is at fault for his part of this situation, but TB has also not handled him well and is now facing a scenario where they will likely have to sell him low. If it turns out to be a Turris or Seguin result, they will look pretty stupid and rightfully so. How bad would it be to put Drouin on the same line with Stamkos and give him #1 PP time and actually see what happens for an extended run? He had 6 pts in 5 games with Stamkos to begin this season. If Cooper actually thinks that would damage the team, he needs to have his head examined IMO.
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Front89 View Post
    No, Drouin is a widely acknowledged elite talent. He was not some random pick, he had proven himself at every level and earned his high draft status.

TB has been a poor fit for a number of reasons, but we all know that good TOI + linemates = good opportunity and that good opportunity = improved chance of success. Cooper clearly did not give Drouin a good opportunity last season or this season; in fact at any mis-step (which should be expected with any young player) Drouin was either benched, had his TOI cut, got shifted down lines or demoted to the AHL. Cooper has rubbed a bunch of TB players the wrong way including Stamkos by several accounts (one reason he is hesitant about staying). Cooper has a preference for vets as we've seen with Callahan & Filppula being played way more than they deserve and giving Stralman 1st PP spot over Hedman etc.

Drouin has his own issues and is at fault for his part of this situation, but TB has also not handled him well and is now facing a scenario where they will likely have to sell him low. If it turns out to be a Turris or Seguin result, they will look pretty stupid and rightfully so. How bad would it be to put Drouin on the same line with Stamkos and give him #1 PP time and actually see what happens for an extended run? He had 6 pts in 5 games with Stamkos to begin this season. If Cooper actually thinks that would damage the team, he needs to have his head examined IMO.
    I agree with this post 10 million %!

Cooper (and Yzerman ultimately) mishandled Drouin on multiple occasions IMO. He was never given any type of leeway to make mistakes, take creative risks, or learn on the job... and all young players ultimate need this. Subban and Karlsson are great examples - if they were playing for a coach like Cooper (as rookies) they never would have been able to take risks and build confidence. Coooper is a very good coach but this is one thing about his coaching persona that irritates me.

Drouin, like many elite-level prospects, has a bit of an ego - some will argue this ego is what makes them so great. What I find baffling is that neither Cooper or Yzerman knew how to reign this kid in and get the most from him. It seems like they took the "tough love" approach 100% with no "confidence boosting" whatsoever.

Yes, Drouin is still at fault for losing his cool and walking away from Syracuse. But, who knows, if he (or his agent) legitimately feel that he will never get a "fair shake" with Cooper or Tampa, maybe a hard stance was the only way to help his career long-term.

At the end of the day, the proof will be in the pudding with Drouin. When he goes to a new team, if he flourishes, everyone will forget about his "attitude" with Tampa. If he becomes a distraction in the room, or never lives up to the billing, he'll be bounced around for a while before fizzling out.

I think the kid has elite talent and could be a star in the NHL one day. Just not with Tampa.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Front89 View Post

I do agree with a lot of what you said. There are many examples of youngsters being mishandled and then traded only to flourish with their new team. I just have a real hard time believing that Cooper favours his vets over the young talent. He leaned heavily on the triplets last year and has had Namestnikov playing along Stamkos for a nice stretch this season. Why would Cooper just give Drouin such a plum role when all the other young guys are earning theirs?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    so easy to say that now. the thought of drouin replacing st.louis as stamkos' long term linemate was too hard to pass up at the time.
    in hindsight jones was the safer pick but a lot of things contributed to it looking like a poor decision today...couldn't mesh well with coach, ******ed agent, tampa's insane forward depth etc

and if cooper wasn't the coach in tampa, he probably would have been a top 6 forward with 1st line upside, which would have been comparable to jones as a top 4dman with 1st line upside.

It wasn't hard to say at the time either. That pick was a head-scratcher for many. Tampa had a pipeline full of promising forwards back when that draft took place.

Of course, many of us were salivating at the idea of Drouin playing with Stamkos at the time, but they needed a young D more and Jones was more of a sure thing.

Recall that Drouin did not even make the team in his draft year.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

... I just have a real hard time believing that Cooper favours his vets over the young talent. He leaned heavily on the triplets last year and has had Namestnikov playing along Stamkos for a nice stretch this season...
    I believe that Cooper sees all the kids he had in Syracuse when they won their championship as veterans now with the Lightning, hence Drouin gets low minutes, if any playing time at all. He also doesn't give Drouin the opportunity to learn through mistakes made when given opportunities. Drouin was drafted before Coopers time and will never be one of "his" guys. Don't tak these comments as me being a Drouin supporter, his actions through this are deplorable as a new to the scene, professional hockey player. I use that term loosely as he has not conducted himself like a professional in dealing with this situation. I think Cooper has been instrumental in Stamkos' decline as one of the best scorers in the game and will be the reason that Stamkos leaves the Lightning.

10 Team, Points Only, Full Keeper, Salary Cap league (AAV)
    30 player max(main roster only)
    12 F, 6D, 2G(Weekly Line-up) count toward points (G=1/A=1/W=2/SO=+1/SOL=1)

F: -P. Kane, Benn, Schiefele, Laine, Eichel, S. Reinhart, Ehlers, Schmaltz, Bailey, Panik, Eaves, Zetterberg, Steen, Beauvillier, C. Fischer

D: - Byfuglien, Matheson, Hanifin, Ekholm, Djoos, Butcher, Sanheim

G: - Dubnyk, Lundqvist, Shesterkin

Picks :
    2018 : 1st, 4th, 4th
    2019 : 2nd
    2020 : 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Dobber Sports Superstar

I do agree with a lot of what you said. There are many examples of youngsters being mishandled and then traded only to flourish with their new team. I just have a real hard time believing that Cooper favours his vets over the young talent. He leaned heavily on the triplets last year and has had Namestnikov playing along Stamkos for a nice stretch this season. Why would Cooper just give Drouin such a plum role when all the other young guys are earning theirs?
    Because he's under scrutiny now that this whole Drouin thing has blown up?

It doesn't surprise me that he's modifying his behaviors a bit. After all, half the hockey world is pointing at him and saying: "It's not Drouin who is the problem here, it's him."

Surely he doesn't want to give them any more bullets for that particular gun.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Deuces6 View Post
    I I think Cooper has been instrumental in Stamkos' decline as one of the best scorers in the game and will be the reason that Stamkos leaves the Lightning.
    Disagree here, Stamkos has not been the same since his broken leg and the departure of Marty St. Louis. I don't believe his decline has been due to Cooper.
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyrug View Post
    Disagree here, Stamkos has not been the same since his broken leg and the departure of Marty St. Louis. I don't believe his decline has been due to Cooper.
    I don't think it has to be a black-and-white issue. All three factors have contributed to his decline.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I don't think it has to be a black-and-white issue. All three factors have contributed to his decline.
    +1, it doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I don't think it has to be a black-and-white issue.
    Surely this can't be an issue about race too?
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyrug View Post
    I actually think the leg thing is the least of all 3 reasons. When he came back from his leg injury that same year he scored at a higher pace than he has in the 2 seasons since. The loss of MSL and the fact he hasn't found that same kind of chemistry with anyone else is probably the worst of it.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    I actually think the leg thing is the least of all 3 reasons. When he came back from his leg injury that same year he scored at a higher pace than he has in the 2 seasons since. The loss of MSL and the fact he hasn't found that same kind of chemistry with anyone else is probably the worst of it.
    The impact of the broken leg was masked by MSL. I think if he did not hurt his leg the impact of not having MSL would not be as great. Just me opinion.
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Surely this can't be an issue about race too?
    Isn't it always?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Where did this myth come from that anything Drouin gets was given to him unearned and what every other player gets is earned?

Any young elite talent player, especially one the team drafted at #3 and has invested heavily in succeeding, has to be given the opportunity to succeed.

They can only earn something if they are given the opportunity to play consistently in a role that fits their skill set and allows them the chance to succeed.

Multiple posters have provided evidence in this thread that shows Drouin, when given such opportunities, has produced and earned the right to stay there. Cooper and Yzerman, for some reason have not stuck with him and let him grow through the usual ups & downs of a young player's development. Maybe he is snorting lines off a ho's ass between games. I do not know, but all reports are he was a hard worker and good teammate until this whole situation came to a head. The fact he has felt compelled to take such drastic action reflects badly on him and his agent, but also on the team's coach and GM who have a clear responsibility to get the best out of their talent as possible and help them succeed. If I'm the owner or Yzerman's boss, I'm angry at Drouin and his agent, but I'm also wondering how things got to this nuclear option point and how my management team failed to handle this better.
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Banned

Drouin was just picked too high in my opinion. Hes been selfish over the last few years and without the puck he's just not good. I blame him for not fling up to his potential so far but yes Tampa could have played Him a bit more. They got too caught up thinking they were cup contenders after one good year.

Drouij in has the talent but the way people talk about him, a trade of Hoffman for drouin would be laughed at by his supporters when they're extremely similar player and one has actually proven a whole lot more