Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Chip Kelly hired by 49ers

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Discuss
    A bad team just got a lot worse

Dobber Sports Stud

I dont think so.. Im just shocked it wasnt Tenn

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Sage

As a Seahawks fan I couldnt be happier. The chances that Chip Kelly and Trent Baalke will peacefully co-exist long enough to improve that dismal team are next to none. Hopefully Kelly will be able to finish flushing the Niners down the toilet before he is sacked.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Does anyone think he had an option of other teams? Or was San Fran the only one desperate enough to give it a try?

Administrator

So in 12 seconds they'll run three plays and punt...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'd be surprised if he doesn't do well with SF. Is he hired just as the coach, and not the gm?
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - Eichel, Hischier,
    LW -
    RW -
    D - Hamilton,
    G - Hellebuyck

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by joe jones View Post
    I'd be surprised if he doesn't do well with SF. Is he hired just as the coach, and not the gm?
    Just coach.

Kaep may still have a career now. They need WR to run his system tho. And Hyde isn’t the type of RB he likes. This is an odd place for him to go.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by joe jones View Post
    I think what you're alluding to here with the gm comment is "can he do to the niners what he did to the eagles?"

Short answer is yes. Chip Kelly was not the GM of the Eagles, but he demanded GM power so that he could implement his "master plan". I bet he'll likely seek the same status in San Fran. There's only a couple of coaches in the NFL that have this power (the others have multiple Super Bowl rings, to add context) and I'm assuming that he claims he's unable to coach his system if he can't customize the players in it. He's an embarrassment to the coaching profession if you ask me... if he doesn't get off his pedestal and coach according to how NFL football is played, this will be his last NFL coaching gig and it won't last long.

Dobber Sports Legend

I hope Chip learned from his mistakes in Philly and have a good career. I wouldn't mind seeing him do well with the 9ers.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Deity

As a Niners fan, I actually dont hate this move.

Tomsula definitely wasn't the right choice and it showed. It was like Baalke panicked after Harbaugh left and settled.

Kelly wasnt as bad as his record showed, it was more like the players he put out there really didn't play that well. A lot of dropped balls, bad timing fumbles and simply underperforming players who did him in.

As I say, he cant be any worse than Tomsula so theres definitely room for improvement.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As a Niners fan, I actually dont hate this move.

Tomsula definitely wasn't the right choice and it showed. It was like Baalke panicked after Harbaugh left and settled.

Kelly wasnt as bad as his record showed, it was more like the players he put out there really didn't play that well. A lot of dropped balls, bad timing fumbles and simply underperforming players who did him in.

As I say, he cant be any worse than Tomsula so theres definitely room for improvement.
    Kelly's two biggest problems are "fixable"...

1. Understanding that pro athletes are different animals than college kids. Superstars run the NFL - learn to respect, embrace and motivate them.

2. Adjust your schemes when they aren't working. Kelly is / was stubborn and wouldn't adjust his game plan. Again, fixable.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Does anyone think he had an option of other teams? Or was San Fran the only one desperate enough to give it a try?
    Rumor has it the 49ers were his only option.

Kaepernick's shelf life is extended, but to what end? He has a middling receiving corps w/no deep threat, and a running back who is not known for his lateral agility (needed in Kelly's scheme). And as far as Kelly's issues being fixable, that's true assuming he sees them as flaws.

The other flaw of Kelly's is the option read scheme itself. At some point in the game it's third and long or red zone and you need a QB capable of standing in the pocket and reading through his progression - that's where his scheme becomes very limited and inefficient. His scheme is best suited with the more field in front of him. So it's more than just attitude he needs to fix.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Rumor has it the 49ers were his only option.

Kaepernick's shelf life is extended, but to what end? He has a middling receiving corps w/no deep threat, and a running back who is not known for his lateral agility (needed in Kelly's scheme). And as far as Kelly's issues being fixable, that's true assuming he sees them as flaws.

The other flaw of Kelly's is the option read scheme itself. At some point in the game it's third and long or red zone and you need a QB capable of standing in the pocket and reading through his progression - that's where his scheme becomes very limited and inefficient. His scheme is best suited with the more field in front of him. So it's more than just attitude he needs to fix.
    Torrey Smith is a good WR. Maybe not 100% sure handed, but he’s a deep threat.

Hyde may not be the RB that Chip likes, but Draughn might be. It’s not all about side to side running, check downs are big to keep the ball in bounds, and the drives going. I forgot about Draughn when I posted earlier, but they need a WR that can catch the 3yrd pass and make it a 7yrd gain. Torrey isn’t that guy right now because you can’t always count on him catching the ball.

I also completely forgot about Smith being a 49er, that’s just because of how dead that team was. Maybe if they still had Vernon Davis you can say they have a 2nd throwing option with him, but they traded him.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think I've seen this movie before.

Oh well. Bares no impact on my lowly Saints!