Thread: 2016 Draft - Fantasy top 20

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default 2016 Draft - Fantasy top 20

Seen some threads on the top 5 picks for this year. I think most would agree the top 5 for fantasy purposes will likely be:

1. Matthews
    2. Pujuljarvi
    3. Laine
    4. Tkachuk
    5. Chychrun

(Probably not that order, but likely those 5).

Who do you see being in the top 20, and what kind of upside?

I'm going to be a seller this year, but most of the picks that I'll be able to get will be in the 8-20 range (Aside from my own which is likely top 3).

Where do you slot Bellows, Jost, Gautheir, Nylander, etc?
    12 team h2h - G, A, PTS, PPP, HIT, SOG, FOW, W, SV%, GAA, SO
    Keep 10

C - Tavares, Nugent-Hopkins, Bozak, Hanzal
    LW - Nash, Toffoli, Skinner
    RW - Kessel, Stone, Iginla
    D - Weber, Reilly, McDonough, Johnson
    G - Halak, Rinne
    BN - Varlamov, Elliott, Williams, Jagr, Bennett

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: 2016 Draft - Fantasy top 20

In a fantasy draft, Chychrun likely falls out of the top 5 because he's a defenceman. I'd expect he'd get picked somewhere in that 8-12 range, so if you like him that's an option.

Alex Nylander will likely be seen as a top 5 fantasy asset as he's debatably more impressive than William.

Gauthier is a weird one for me this year because his assist numbers are alarmingly low. Otherwise he'd be a 6-7 pick.

If you can get PL Dubois at 8 I'd be happy with that, Bellows and Keller should be right behind that around 10, Jost likely 12-ish. Keep a close eye on Olli Juolevi.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Is it the league in your sig?

If it's only a keep 10, the only guy that would likely make an impact in that league next year is Matthews, I wouldn't worry about the others.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    Is it the league in your sig?

If it's only a keep 10, the only guy that would likely make an impact in that league next year is Matthews, I wouldn't worry about the others.
    Not the league in sig. Same catergories though, just add BLK's/

We have a 15 player farm system
    12 team h2h - G, A, PTS, PPP, HIT, SOG, FOW, W, SV%, GAA, SO
    Keep 10

C - Tavares, Nugent-Hopkins, Bozak, Hanzal
    LW - Nash, Toffoli, Skinner
    RW - Kessel, Stone, Iginla
    D - Weber, Reilly, McDonough, Johnson
    G - Halak, Rinne
    BN - Varlamov, Elliott, Williams, Jagr, Bennett

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_2560 View Post
    Not the league in sig. Same catergories though, just add BLK's/

We have a 15 player farm system
    Gotcha.

I'm generally not a fan of drafting defensemen top 5, but with BLK and HIT as a category, I wouldn't argue with someone wanting JC. I also think that in that kind of setup, Gauthier could have higher value than Nylander because of his style. If I had to do a top 10, right now it would probably be:

1 - 5 - As identified above
    6 - Gauthier - The assist totals are worrisome, but he has all the tools to be an elite scoring power forward
    7 - Dubois - Like his all round game
    8 - Nylander - Great scoring upside
    9 - Bellows
    10 - Keller

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    Gotcha.

I'm generally not a fan of drafting defensemen top 5, but with BLK and HIT as a category, I wouldn't argue with someone wanting JC. I also think that in that kind of setup, Gauthier could have higher value than Nylander because of his style. If I had to do a top 10, right now it would probably be:

1 - 5 - As identified above
    6 - Gauthier - The assist totals are worrisome, but he has all the tools to be an elite scoring power forward
    7 - Dubois - Like his all round game
    8 - Nylander - Great scoring upside
    9 - Bellows
    10 - Keller
    I think that Chychrun will slide outside the top 5 in fantasy drafts as a result of A) his absence from the WJC and B) so many high profile forwards again this year. He's going to be a great player for multi-cat fantasy leagues and I think would be a steal outside the top 5.

This is going to be a long standing debate but there are plenty of players that could jostle into the 6-10 slot. In addition to what you mentioned above, guys like Tyson Jost, Dante Fabbro, Michael McLeod, Olli Juolevi, Max Jones, Sam Steel amongst others.

I normally don't like judging a players value a taking a significant hit or increase as a result of the WJC but I think its safe to say that one player this is true for is DeBrincat. He is a scoring machine in the O but he was invisible for most of the tournament. He was a guy who needed to be one top scorers for the US to cement his value as a top prospect. I'd say he was projected mid-first round heading into the WJC but after that tournament, I'd be surprised if his name is called on day 1. His size isn't going to do him any favours to make up for his play in that tournament.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    I normally don't like judging a players value a taking a significant hit or increase as a result of the WJC but I think its safe to say that one player this is true for is DeBrincat. He is a scoring machine in the O but he was invisible for most of the tournament.
    In his defense, he was kicked out of the game in the 1st period against Canada and left game 2 injured also during the 1st period. Not much time to do much there and perhaps he was playing injured during the other games.
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    In his defense, he was kicked out of the game in the 1st period against Canada and left game 2 injured also during the 1st period. Not much time to do much there and perhaps he was playing injured during the other games.
    I don't like judging a player based off the WJ's - I recall MPS absolutely dominating that tourney, and Luke Adam also having quite a showing at that. If memory serves me correctly, Lecavalier never did much at the WJ's either (I may be wrong on that though).

There are definately concerns with DeBrincat, especially with his size and if he will translate. But I'll still be surprised if he isn't taken in the 13-20 range.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    In a fantasy draft, Chychrun likely falls out of the top 5 because he's a defenceman. I'd expect he'd get picked somewhere in that 8-12 range, so if you like him that's an option.

Doubt that unless the Oilers fall out of the Top 5 at the lottery.
    See https://fantasysportscoalition.wordp...ailable-teams/ for available teams in FSC. We're a growing coalition with over 100 active members running several dynasty leagues in each of the 4 major sports!

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree with your top four but I would presonally flip your 2-3 picks and draft Laine 2nd overall.

I'd also put Nylander in the 5 spot over Chychrun in fantasy drafts due to being a Dman. I'll assume Dubois probably goes in front of the Dman too. Chychrun probably goes around 7-8.

In the real draft, I dont think Gauthier goes in the top 10 but I expect some will snag him between 6-10 in fantasy drafts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton Crunch View Post
    Doubt that unless the Oilers fall out of the Top 5 at the lottery.
    We are talking fantasy hockey, not the real NHL draft. In the real draft, you are right, he probably goes around fifth overall.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

My top 6:

Matthews
    Laine
    Puljujarvi
    Dubois (yes, he got me)
    Tkachuk
    Nylander
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    My top 6:

Matthews
    Laine
    Puljujarvi
    Dubois (yes, he got me)
    Tkachuk
    Nylander
    I like Franky's order here, but Tkachuk still goes before Dubois for me (likely Splitting hairs) and I think Nylander ends up being a steel at 6. Given his impressive scoring upside, I could see a fantasy team reaching for the younger Nylander which could jumble up the top 6.