Thread: Packers @ Washington- wildcard matchup discussion

Default Packers @ Washington- wildcard matchup discussion

I've been toiling with this matchup for the last few days. Hence the delay in getting this posted. It's difficult for me to believe that picking Aaron Rodgers over Kirk Cousin is considered the underdog bet.

If one looks at current trends only, then you'd have to assume Washington easily wins this contest. Rodgers has looked lost, thanks in large part to a lousy offensive line and the loss of vertical threat and #1 wideout Jordy Nelson. The remaining receivers have failed against man press coverage to such an extent that even defenses that run zone schemes switch to press just for the week. Devante Adams has been miserable in his second season. Running back Eddie "Golden Corral Buffet" Lacy has been inconsistent all season and at times looks uncomfortably out of shape.

Kirk Cousins on the other hand has exceeded the preseason expectations of many (including myself). Since the bye week he's thrown for 20 TDs and only three INTs. Impressive.

That said, I'm picking the Packers in an upset win. If the Packers can jump out to an early I think Cousins will ultimately cave to the pressure and revert back to his INT ways. The key is that the Packers absolutely have to get the jump on Washington. Cousins normally performs better at home than on the road, but correlation is not causation.

Rodgers and the Pack win a close one 24-21.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Packers @ Washington- wildcard matchup discussion

I'm thinking Green Bay just doesnt have enough to win this one.. Their O-lind is like swiss cheese, their receivers are banged up, and their running game is just awful.. I think the home team wins this one.. 31-24
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

Both teams are frauds and playing for the right to get manhandled next week. Washington has a good home record, so I'm Taking them. But I've gone back and forth all week with this pick as well

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I'm thinking Green Bay just doesnt have enough to win this one.. Their O-lind is like swiss cheese, their receivers are banged up, and their running game is just awful.. I think the home team wins this one.. 31-24
    I feel like my decision is based more on the gambler's fallacy rather than facts. But...I guess I am hoping experience and skill win over scheme and play design. Ironically, i feel more confident in my Vikings prediction than this one.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

Packers are the favourites right now but don't have a lean either way

Dobber Sports Wizard

Let's just fast-forward to the final 2 minutes to see what these guys can do to top the endings of the last 2 games....
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

32-18 packers, fourth quarter. Let's see what Cousins is made of...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Wow, the pack are alive.. Not for long though, the Cardinals are really really good!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Initiate

woooooooooooo go pack go!
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - J. Hughes
    LW - Panarin
    RW -
    D - Bouchard
    G - Levi

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Titan

As a Skin fan I knew the game was done on the 2nd consecutive TD by the Packs. They can keep up that pace and no one blinks an eye, and if the Skins did it then it’s a big story on their offense clicking. Skins just can’t keep up in that style of a track meet.

D-Jax is a freaking idiot. Dude must have been told to stay away from the lines trying to not get him into drug problems, but he took it as goal lines. He just can’t break a plane. Can’t believe that guy makes up to 16mill a yr.

Oh well, the team is trending upwards, and if Cousins works hard in the off-season, I can see him coming into the year at a level better than the beginning of the yr, but obviously not like how he was doing to end the yr (asking too much as a fan if we expect that). But the skins didn’t win a game vs a team over 500, they are still a team in the making. Need to stop the run.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    D-Jax is a freaking idiot. Dude must have been told to stay away from the lines trying to not get him into drug problems, but he took it as goal lines. He just can’t break a plane. Can’t believe that guy makes up to 16mill a yr.
    It's quite sad that a guy as talented as him has made so many boneheaded moves. You think he would have learned after his would be TD in college backfired from a premature celebration. But some guys just never learn.

That being said I will give respect to Washington for being a vastly improved team as the season wore on...they are the right track but had. Had no business hosting a playoff game but that's a completely different argument.