Thread: Brandon Montour. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Brandon Montour. Thoughts?

Anybody know anything about Brandon Montour? I am in a dynasty league where we keep 40.

Is he worth a pickup and stash? He had 20 points in 21 games at UMass-Amherst last year, and he has 29 points in 31 games this year in the AHL.

He seems to have produced at every level so far. Do you think we'll see him in the NHL anytime soon, and what do you guys think he'll do once he gets there?
    - 12 team, 40 keeper dynasty league
    - Scoring categories for skaters: G, A, PIM, HIT, BLK, STP, FOW, SOG, +/-, DEF, ATOI
    - Scoring categories for goalies: W, SV, SV%, SO, GAA
    - Start 12F, 6D, 3UTIL, 3 min goalie starts a week
    - Starters in bold

Forwards: MacKinnon, Tarasenko, Tavares, Panarin, Johansen, Ehlers, E. Kane, Lee, Huberdeau, Horvat, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Pacioretty, Meier, Fabbri, Sikura, Zacha, Burakovsky, Spooner, Jost, Roussel, Kaprizov, Cirelli, Berglund,

Defense: Pietrangelo, Parayko, Dumba, Faulk, Provorov, Muzzin, McAvoy, Carlson, Nurse, Del Zotto, Borowiecki, Russell

Goalies: Jones, Vasilevskiy, Raanta, Keumper, Remier, Demko

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Brandon Montour. Thoughts?

TBH I thought ht was more deserving of a call up than Shea Theodore.

It might be premature but I'd let Bouma go for Montour

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I also just picked up Colin Miller. I need some young D, would you drop Miller or Bouma to add him?

Dobber Sports Stud

I think Miller and Montour are close. I'd still drop Bouma for Montour.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Surprised in a dynasty league no one has him - pick him up and stash
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Administrator

He's worthy of a pick-up. My only concern is opportunity. The Ducks have a lot of capable bodies on D.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

I've been keeping a close eye on him. He'll be in the AHL for the duration of this season and likely next as well...perhaps a cup of coffee. He is a dynamic offensive player, more of a pure point-producer than Theodore.

I'll be trying to grab him when the time is right as our league doesn't have a farm system. Just a matter of figuring out when that is...
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

All these talented and capable D in the Anaheim system would make them a nice trade partner with Stevey Y and the Drouin fiasco.. Would likely be alot of the same under Boudreau..
    18 team Dynasty Head 2 Head - 25 man Roster - (Keep as many as you want)
    G A P PPA PPG HITS GWG SOG
    W SV% SHO

Dobber Sports Expert

This kid has been a stud since his minor hockey days...definitely worth the pickup. He's under the radar due to Theodore stealing the limelight but he is playing better hockey atm. Montour is skilled at both ends of the ice and is capable of quarterbacking a PP unit while playing top 4 minutes.

I...am your father.

You wanna pick him up for sure. Why hesitate? You don't mention the cost of making such a move. If it costs nothing, then do it. If it costs you a drop, then drop Bouma. In such a deep league where there is apparently little cost to picking up a player, why is Montour still available?
    Montour will be up and down next year, full-time the year after. Probably won't see him this year.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Sophomore

So the season is over and Montour finished with a whopping 57 points in the AHL in 68 games.

I currently have to pick between Montour, DeAngelo and Honka in a multi-cat league. I have a feeling DeAngelo is great in a points only but multi-cat... not sure...

For those who have seen Montour play, how is he as a 2 way player? Responsible in his own end or a pure offensive d-man? Any insight on his play will be helpful.

How would you rank DeAngelo, Honka and Montour? Thanks guys

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Johnstarks318 View Post
    So the season is over and Montour finished with a whopping 57 points in the AHL in 68 games.

I currently have to pick between Montour, DeAngelo and Honka in a multi-cat league. I have a feeling DeAngelo is great in a points only but multi-cat... not sure...

For those who have seen Montour play, how is he as a 2 way player? Responsible in his own end or a pure offensive d-man? Any insight on his play will be helpful.

How would you rank DeAngelo, Honka and Montour? Thanks guys
    Montour is more NHL-ready in my opinion due to his good defensive play. However, as a Montour owner, I would be inclined to trade him and roll the dice on DeAngelo who has a higher fantasy upside. Nonetheless, both are prospects at this point and have their individual hurdles ahead of them (Montour = depth chart and DeAngelo = defensive play).

Here's my ranking:

DeAngelo (high upside, high perceived value)
    Montour (close behind... some will place DeAngelo up there alone but Montour is a special talent that should't be ignored. I knew little about him a year ago but I followed his progress closely this year and loved what he brings in EVERY game)

Honka (not a bad D but not in the same class as the other 2... you should look a Esa Lindell if you have another spot later; I believe he will be ahead of Honka for the Stars)
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Stud

I really like Montour's long term upside. Anaheim is going to move out a defender or two (they have to, right?!) and he should be a cup of coffee type of guy this coming season. If he is given PP time and/or impresses with his assignments, maybe he sticks for a good run.

Realistic expectation is full time in '17-18 and putting up tasty numbers maybe the following season. Kid has some serious offensive game.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Rep for both of you guys! Thanks for your input. I still have some time to think about this before I draft. I'll keep you guys posted