Thread: How the Daily Fantasy Sports Industry Turns Fans Into Suckers

Dobber Sports Pro

Default How the Daily Fantasy Sports Industry Turns Fans Into Suckers

NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Default Re: How the Daily Fantasy Sports Industry Turns Fans Into Suckers

Great article, thanks for sharing.

I count myself pretty lucky to be ahead as much as I am on DFS and with technology and scripting advancing I doubt I could ever repeat the same success as I already have.
    I've said it dozens of times on the forums, there is no sure way to compete and win, the only way to hit the money is to get lucky.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Administrator

My favourite was reading the twitter feeds for some of the pros outed in this piece. So defensive.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I see his points, I just disagree with some of his selective process.

You shouldn't be posting 10 head to heads at a very ranging dollar amount. Take the total $ you want to invest, select one price level of head to heads, and post multiple games at that dollar amount. You can then restrict how many times another user can join your H2H (on DraftKings) ensuring you'll only play each user once at a certain price point. Don't put one entry into a $20 double up, put 10 entries into a $2 double. If you're a low volume, inexperienced player don't go into the high stakes games. If you are going in the high stakes games, you should be expecting to play the best of the best, the high rollers, the most experienced. I play low volume low stakes football DFS only. I turn a profit every week. It's not hard, and I don't play for the money I play for the fun and the competition.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I see his points, I just disagree with some of his selective process.

You shouldn't be posting 10 head to heads at a very ranging dollar amount. Take the total $ you want to invest, select one price level of head to heads, and post multiple games at that dollar amount. You can then restrict how many times another user can join your H2H (on DraftKings) ensuring you'll only play each user once at a certain price point. Don't put one entry into a $20 double up, put 10 entries into a $2 double. If you're a low volume, inexperienced player don't go into the high stakes games. If you are going in the high stakes games, you should be expecting to play the best of the best, the high rollers, the most experienced. I play low volume low stakes football DFS only. I turn a profit every week. It's not hard, and I don't play for the money I play for the fun and the competition.
    Not sure you're right about where the 'best of the best' play. It's also in their best interest to play against beginners, so I would guess they are also quite prominent in the low $$ contests. Sticking to low limit games worked with poker because the stakes are too low there for the pros to make money (they can only physically play a few tables at a time), but with daily fantasy these guys can enter hundreds or thousands of contests per day, so there's no reason for them to avoid the $1 games if that's where the easy money is.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    My favourite was reading the twitter feeds for some of the pros outed in this piece. So defensive.
    My favourite part is that Justine Sacco (of twitter: “Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!” fame) is FanDuel’s director of communications.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Not sure you're right about where the 'best of the best' play. It's also in their best interest to play against beginners, so I would guess they are also quite prominent in the low $$ contests. Sticking to low limit games worked with poker because the stakes are too low there for the pros to make money (they can only physically play a few tables at a time), but with daily fantasy these guys can enter hundreds or thousands of contests per day, so there's no reason for them to avoid the $1 games if that's where the easy money is.
    Maybe it's different in basketball, but in DFS football in the $2 and $5 double ups, I didn't see many 500 lineup players, and I never had much problem cashing in them. I don't use any scripts or anything.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Maybe it's different in basketball, but in DFS football in the $2 and $5 double ups, I didn't see many 500 lineup players, and I never had much problem cashing in them. I don't use any scripts or anything.
    You can see how many lineups people have entered? How do you do that?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I can vouch for this. Enter into a dozen H2Hs at the cheapest price point every night and survey the names that pop up. Basically a who's who of the top rated guys on the Rotogrinder site referenced in the article.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    My favourite part is that Justine Sacco (of twitter: “Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!” fame) is FanDuel’s director of communications.
    A part of me thinks that her name pops up in this article strictly to get more eyeballs to it, even though she is in a position of authority. But in general, I am happy for her landing on her feet. What happened to her was the absolute worst of what Twitter and PC culture has to offer.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    A part of me thinks that her name pops up in this article strictly to get more eyeballs to it, even though she is in a position of authority. But in general, I am happy for her landing on her feet. What happened to her was the absolute worst of what Twitter and PC culture has to offer.
    So true.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril