Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Draft

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: 2016 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I hope the oiler win the lottery again... and that it forces them to make a deal for a defenseman. Preferably to the flyers. #1 overall for Morin and Flyers 1st round pick.
    Morin and a 1st for Matthews? If the Oilers win the lottery and make the pick available, I'm not sure this will be the best offer for the 1st overall. But I can understand a Flyers fan to dream a bit about that
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Morin and a 1st for Matthews? If the Oilers win the lottery and make the pick available, I'm not sure this will be the best offer for the 1st overall. But I can understand a Flyers fan to dream a bit about that
    Touché. haha But this Flyer fan expects the Flyers to have the 5th overall pick... So Edmonton would get # 5 overall and Morin.... does this sound better? or still in fantasyland?

The Great One

Touché. haha But this Flyer fan expects the Flyers to have the 5th overall pick... So Edmonton would get # 5 overall and Morin.... does this sound better? or still in fantasyland?
    in the world of hypotheticals, I'd do that (as an Oiler fan).

Morin and Chychrun for Matthews. That'd be a great for the Oilers, imo.

That said, I really hope the Oilers don't win the lottery.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    in the world of hypotheticals, I'd do that (as an Oiler fan).

Morin and Chychrun for Matthews. That'd be a great for the Oilers, imo.

That said, I really hope the Oilers don't win the lottery.
    Why? because of the harassment that other fans will give you as an oiler fan.... I would say winning the lottery is the best thing for a non-playoff team. So if I was an oiler Fan I would want to win the lottery... and If I was Oilers management... I would promise myself if I won it... I would be taking the best deal for it! I would make sure I was trading it...

Dobber Sports Expert

We get all hyped up and forget that this tournament is just a snap shot of a week's worth of hockey. I don't think we can definitively say that because of this tournament, one player has significantly improved his stock over another, especially in the top 5. How they did in this tournament really has no direct correlation to how good of a pro player they will be. That's why they're scouted for years leading up to their draft. These scouts watch a hell of a lot more games than we ever do and have seen these players at their very best, very worst and know more importantly what these players are like when they play consistent (something we can never compare for each player). Honestly, after this tournament, Matthews is still #1; Laine, Tkachuk and Puljujarvi are still the next 3 best forwards and Chychrun is the top defenseman heading into this draft.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    EDIT: I want to add more about this. Keep in mind that Chychrun's offensive numbers in junior may not be mind-blowing, like players in the past (Ellis, Murphy, etc.), but when I say he can dominate junior and transition to the NHL immediately, I am referring to his ability to play a top defensive role against full size NHL forwards. Ekblad's numbers in junior weren't all that impressive either, really.
    I just want echo this statement. Especially because there is always hype on junior defensemen with majority of the hype being placed on pure offensive numbers. When you actually watch(ed) these kids play a significant amount of junior games, the differences are quite clear to see.

Big difference in the 4 d-men listed here when talking about their junior numbers and extrapolating to the type of NHL player they may become. Ekblad and Chychrun were/are far more well rounded defensemen who play solid hockey at both ends of the ice. They can play as your top PP guy on the point or as a shut down defender. They were/are tasked with far more difficult on-ice situations than that of Ellis and Murphy.

Murphy and Ellis were far more offensive defensemen and really, liabilities in their own end (Murphy much more so than Ellis). Each guy had a cannon and could QB the PP but was lost in their own end and were far less effective in a shutdown role. No Ellis was a little more sound defensively than Murphy but not in the category of Ekblad and Chychrun. Murphy was exposed badly against opposition forwards trying to play PK or a shutdown role in the WJC (a team he never should have been on in the first place). Now Ellis' defensive game has improved remarkably since his junior days.

So while Ekblad and Chychrun may not have the great offensive statistics that others like Ellis and Murphy did, their game is far more well rounded and the skills they bring to both ends of the ice will make them cornerstone franchise defensemen in the NHL. Often times people can be mislead that solid future NHL defencemen need to put up big numbers in junior.

Dobber Sports Veteran

This sound better! But if the Oilers win the lottery, they will maybe want to trade RNH for a D that can help them right now instead of Morin...and keep Matthews.

We can speculate all day long about that
    7 teams
    28 keepers

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    We get all hyped up and forget that this tournament is just a snap shot of a week's worth of hockey. I don't think we can definitively say that because of this tournament, one player has significantly improved his stock over another, especially in the top 5. How they did in this tournament really has no direct correlation to how good of a pro player they will be. That's why they're scouted for years leading up to their draft. These scouts watch a hell of a lot more games than we ever do and have seen these players at their very best, very worst and know more importantly what these players are like when they play consistent (something we can never compare for each player). Honestly, after this tournament, Matthews is still #1; Laine, Tkachuk and Puljujarvi are still the next 3 best forwards and Chychrun is the top defenseman heading into this draft.
    I agree with you on the hype regarding the WJC. I think for the scouts this is just more datas. But at the same time, I think a guy like Laine was not in the top 5 on every lists. But I bet that he is right now after the WJC.
    7 teams
    28 keepers

Dobber Sports Expert

I agree with you on the hype regarding the WJC. I think for the scouts this is just more datas. But at the same time, I think a guy like Laine was not in the top 5 on every lists. But I bet that he is right now after the WJC.
    I'd say he was on most lists...worst case he was in the top 10

The Great One

Why? because of the harassment that other fans will give you as an oiler fan.... I would say winning the lottery is the best thing for a non-playoff team. So if I was an oiler Fan I would want to win the lottery... and If I was Oilers management... I would promise myself if I won it... I would be taking the best deal for it! I would make sure I was trading it...
    If the Oilers finish bottom five and win the lottery, I don't care what the fans of other teams and the media think (well, that's not entirely true...I suppose I care a bit). Truthfully, I just don't want the Oilers to be in a position to win the lottery. I really hope they don't finish bottom 5 this season. I want them to finish with a more "respectable" position in the standings, build on that next year with McDavid for a full season, and hopefully make the playoffs next year.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

I've already commented on this early, but will say that generally I agree with you in that this is only one tournament and isn't necessarily going to make or break a player. However, when a player dominates the tournament, leads the tournament in scoring, wins the MVP award, and leads his team to a gold medal on home ice (showing how he performs under pressure), that player's stock almost certainly rises.

Now, does it rise enough to pass Matthews? I don't think so. But I do believe that as of right now Pujujarvi's performance in the tournament solidly puts him 2nd overall on most draft lists, whereas prior to this tournament there was more of a question about who would go 2nd overall.

That said, there is still a lot of hockey to be played before the draft, plus the combine, so 2nd overall isn't set in stone just yet.

Point is that as much as you don't want to overhype this tournament, you don't want to do the opposite either and ignore JP's performance. The difference between Laine, Tkachuk, and Puljujarvi was always razor thin, so JP's performance definitely gives him an edge on the other two at this point.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Veteran

This is one NHL scout...and a rumor but:

On the top 2016 Draft picks …

Michael Traikos: One NHL scout said that he has ranked Jesse Puljajarvi and Patrik Laine ahead of Auston Matthews based on their play at the World Juniors.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2016...predators-avs/
    7 teams
    28 keepers

Dobber Sports Expert

This is one NHL scout...and a rumor but:

On the top 2016 Draft picks …

Michael Traikos: One NHL scout said that he has ranked Jesse Puljajarvi and Patrik Laine ahead of Auston Matthews based on their play at the World Juniors.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2016...predators-avs/
    That's a bold comment lol.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

That's a bold comment lol.
    more like that's a comment intended to generate more page views.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    more like that's a comment intended to generate more page views.
    Make sense. And we must have a debate for the 1st overall pick..NHL marketing
    7 teams
    28 keepers