Dobber Sports Stud

Default 2016 Draft

I know its early and all but are we still locked in as the top 4:

Matthews
    Puljajarvi
    Laine
    Tkachuk

????

Anyone considering Puljajarvi over Matthews or Laine over boh?? Thoughts??

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: 2016 Draft

Jakob Chychrun will be in the conversation for the top 5.

Matthews is a lock for the 1st overall I think.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Demi-God

For fantasy value, yes - from what I've read - I think those are the four.

Defensemen are always hard to value for fantasy production in every year.
    Usually they take 3-4 years to mature to NHL-fantasy-value, occasionally you get the Ekblad that is relevant immediately. Not sure where Chychrun will pan out.
    But yes, I think the top four is going to be the top four drafted in most fantasy leagues, leagues with BLK/TOI may possibly see Chychrun jump a couple of these guys.

For pure NHL value (i.e. Actual Draft Slot), I don't know how they'll go in 2-5.
    Reading Chychrun btw. 2-4 on most mocks.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

when you are drafting that high you usually select BPA no matter what. but this year the top 5 will be really, really close in terms of talent. imo 1-2 are locked as Matthews-Pulju (would love to see a ballsy GM take the FIN 1st), and the next 3 will be based on positional need.

Assuming the draft order is as is today:

Columbus - Matthews (to replace Johansen?)
    Buffalo - Pulju to lineup with Eichel?
    Edmonton - Chychryn (assuming they don't win another lottery)
    Toronto - Laine (or Chychryn if #3 takes a forward)
    San Jose - Tkachuk (easiest pick of the draft, take the "leftover")

Laine/Tkachuk could be swapped either way but I think Laine's stock rose a bit more this past couple weeks. Plus he's substantially bigger.

Edmonton HAS to make sure they draft Chychrun. I don't care if they win the lottery again. Trade down, gain another very good asset and take a potential top pairing D. They don't seem to be willing to overpay to land one now (or perhaps no one is even willing to consider moving one), so the only way to acquire a top 2 D is via the draft.

EDIT: not sure if this was a fantasy hockey question based on Pengwin's response, if so i'd take the four forwards above, and then nylander before even considering a D. obviously depends on what kind of league you're in but as Pengwin mentioned D are a bit of a crapshoot this early in development, i wouldnt wait the time needed generally for a draft eligible D to become fantasy relevant.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    For fantasy value, yes - from what I've read - I think those are the four.

Defensemen are always hard to value for fantasy production in every year.
    Usually they take 3-4 years to mature to NHL-fantasy-value, occasionally you get the Ekblad that is relevant immediately. Not sure where Chychrun will pan out.
    But yes, I think the top four is going to be the top four drafted in most fantasy leagues, leagues with BLK/TOI may possibly see Chychrun jump a couple of these guys.

For pure NHL value (i.e. Actual Draft Slot), I don't know how they'll go in 2-5.
    Reading Chychrun btw. 2-4 on most mocks.
    You're right Pengwin..if it's for fantasy go with the forward. My top 4 right now:

Matthews
    Puljujarvi
    Laine
    Tkachuk

I think Chychrun is still the #1 D in this draft. But Juolevi opened some eyes in the last 2 weeks. And Sergachyov is in the top 3 D for the 2016 draft.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Padawan

If Edmonton wins I would trade down for Chychrun, I would trade Matthews for a legit top pairing dman right now (Nashville?). Why waste time developing guys on the blueline when they can take forever and are harder to predict. Give me Weber and your #1 for Matthews, works for both squads and immediately helps Seth jump to the top pair or at least PP1 if they roll 2 dmen.

The knock on Laine was his maturity pre WJHC but the way they preformed I think you have Chychrun in the 4 or 5 range now.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    If Edmonton wins I would trade down for Chychrun, I would trade Matthews for a legit top pairing dman right now (Nashville?). Why waste time developing guys on the blueline when they can take forever and are harder to predict. Give me Weber and your #1 for Matthews, works for both squads and immediately helps Seth jump to the top pair or at least PP1 if they roll 2 dmen.

The knock on Laine was his maturity pre WJHC but the way they preformed I think you have Chychrun in the 4 or 5 range now.
    no one in this draft is worth Weber let alone Weber + 1st.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I hope the oiler win the lottery again... and that it forces them to make a deal for a defenseman. Preferably to the flyers. #1 overall for Morin and Flyers 1st round pick.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    when you are drafting that high you usually select BPA no matter what. but this year the top 5 will be really, really close in terms of talent. imo 1-2 are locked as Matthews-Pulju (would love to see a ballsy GM take the FIN 1st), and the next 3 will be based on positional need.

Assuming the draft order is as is today:

Columbus - Matthews (to replace Johansen?)
    Buffalo - Pulju to lineup with Eichel?
    Edmonton - Chychryn (assuming they don't win another lottery)
    Toronto - Laine (or Chychryn if #3 takes a forward)
    San Jose - Tkachuk (easiest pick of the draft, take the "leftover")

Laine/Tkachuk could be swapped either way but I think Laine's stock rose a bit more this past couple weeks. Plus he's substantially bigger.
    Given the choice, Leafs would take Tkachuk over Laine...with Hunter in the Leafs organization paired with drafting Marner last year, they would go with the player they know best when it comes down to a 'toss up'

The Great One

Because Matthews is a center, he will go first overall. No question in my mind about that. Centers are simply too valuable.

Even if a team like Buffalo or Edmonton (for example) feels that they need a winger more than a center, I think they will trade the first overall pick and grab Puljujarvi or Laine second and let someone else grab Matthews first overall.

I think right now Matthews is the most skilled and best player available, but the thing about Puljujarvi and Laine is that they are still so raw and seem to be continuing to develop more than Matthews. This isn't to say that Matthews won't continue to develop as well, but he is almost a year older than the Finns and he seems to have matured a bit earlier than they have. I mean, when you have two kids that are 6'4" (and possibly still growing), you can't help but wonder how good they will be once they completely grow into their frames.

Laine has a much better shot than Puljujarvi and will be a better goal scorer, but Puljujarvi is such an incredible skater for his size. I honestly can't think of another player his size who skates so well. Right now, I don't think his hands can keep up with his skating, so the puck tends to bounce around when he gets up to full speed and he loses control of it. With time, if JP can learn to better control the puck at high speeds, he will be an unstoppable force similar to Lindros in his prime.

If I am projecting future potential, I have a feeling Puljujarvi will be the best player in this draft.

My top five prediction:

Matthews
    Puljujarvi
    Laine
    Chychrun
    Tkachuk
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I could see a GM taking Puljujarvi 1st overall...stranger things have happened and the kid is a DYNAMO! I have only seen limited bits of Chychrun but I can't help but think he isn't a home run....can anyone give me more insight maybe who he compares to in a current NHL dman?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Given the choice, Leafs would take Tkachuk over Laine...with Hunter in the Leafs organization paired with drafting Marner last year, they would go with the player they know best when it comes down to a 'toss up'
    i had them taking Tkachuk over Laine too before the tournament for the same reason you listed plus leafs seem to enjoy good bloodlines (Kapanen, Nylander). But i don't think it's a toss up anymore, Laine was pretty dominant and is much bigger than Tkachuk. I don't know the exact measurements but he must have at least 20 pounds on him already. I know this tourney doesn't mean much but from what i watched Tkachuk seemed more of a complimentary player than a guy like Laine who was creating a lot of offense by himself. I'm fine with either but I think Laine is currently ahead of Tkachuk if the draft were held today.

Dobber Sports Pro

Matthews is number #1 and I do not see that changing. WJC is such a short tournament the sample size is very small. But i agree on the top 5 players to be drafted as seen above

Side note: Remember when Jack Campbell was drafted top 10 because he was so good in those tournaments?
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i had them taking Tkachuk over Laine too before the tournament for the same reason you listed plus leafs seem to enjoy good bloodlines (Kapanen, Nylander). But i don't think it's a toss up anymore, Laine was pretty dominant and is much bigger than Tkachuk. I don't know the exact measurements but he must have at least 20 pounds on him already. I know this tourney doesn't mean much but from what i watched Tkachuk seemed more of a complimentary player than a guy like Laine who was creating a lot of offense by himself. I'm fine with either but I think Laine is currently ahead of Tkachuk if the draft were held today.
    Although it is true that the tournament doesn't mean much most of the time, I think this tournament proved that Laine and Puljujarvi are not only stud prospects, but they can also be winners. They led their teams to the gold medal as underagers and were the top two forwards in the tournament. It is rare for an underager to excel in this tournament, let alone win the MVP award, lead the tournament in scoring, and lead his team to the gold medal.

This really was the coming out party for both JP and Laine.

What I do find interesting is that although I didn't get to watch Laine play in Finland, I had read numerous reports that he had developed quite a bit over the last year and had improved on some of his perceived weaknesses. I saw JP, Laine, and Matthews in person in Lake Placid this past summer, and I felt then that Laine looked like a completely new player compared to reports the year before about off-ice issues and laziness. He looked like a force in Lake Placid, brought that attitude to the Finnish league (by all accounts), and continued to show that in the WJHC.

No question in my mind that he will go ahead of Tkachuk, regardless of any chemistry Tkachuk may have with Marner. Toronto would be insane to pass on Laine to take Tkachuk, imo.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by burnsy00 View Post
    I could see a GM taking Puljujarvi 1st overall...stranger things have happened and the kid is a DYNAMO! I have only seen limited bits of Chychrun but I can't help but think he isn't a home run....can anyone give me more insight maybe who he compares to in a current NHL dman?
    Chychrun is a physical specimen very comparable to Ekblad, imo.

I think he would challenge for first overall like Ekblad did if there weren't so many amazing forwards in this draft.

The concern obviously with someone like Chychrun (and Ekblad before him), is that you worry that he is able to dominate junior hockey because he is so much bigger and stronger than most. However, on the flip side his physical stature means he will almost certainly transition to the NHL very quickly (like Ekblad did). I have no doubt Chychrun can already play a top 4 role in the NHL, which is very rare for 18 year old dmen.

EDIT: I want to add more about this. Keep in mind that Chychrun's offensive numbers in junior may not be mind-blowing, like players in the past (Ellis, Murphy, etc.), but when I say he can dominate junior and transition to the NHL immediately, I am referring to his ability to play a top defensive role against full size NHL forwards. Ekblad's numbers in junior weren't all that impressive either, really.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap