Thread: Peng feelin like Steve Harvey / Week 16 Deangelo Fumble / New League Champion??!?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Question Peng feelin like Steve Harvey / Week 16 Deangelo Fumble / New League Champion??!?

So, did you guys in Yahoo! Fantasy Football Leagues catch this?
    Apparently, on January 3rd (Sunday), several stats were changed for Week 16 Football Games.
    Yahoo! has them as this:

(struggling with format)

but essentially there is was apparently this:
    DeAngelo Williams fumble that was added... -2pts if you rostered DeAngelo.
    And a Baltimore fumble recovered added.. +1pt if you rostered the BAL-D.
    [Upon research, this was the last play of the PIT/BAL game in Week 16. Trying to find highlight.]

I've got one league where a team won by fractions of a point.
    The yahoo summary still shows the original (pre-fumble) score, with Team A winning.
    But with the modified stat, the League Champion... is now credited as... Team B.

Week 16 Matchups
    Final results

Championship Bracket
    96.56 Evil Empire 7-6-0 | 1st
    94.88 WamBam Thank You Cam 8-5-0 | 2nd (team total now shows 25.30pts from DeAngelo Williams)

from original Yahoo! write-up:
    Down 5.78 on Monday night, WamBam Thank You Cam came back to slip by Evil Empire 96.88 to 96.66. WamBam Thank You Cam got 27.30 points from DeAngelo Williams and...

See play at 8min mark of 8:37video.

So - what would you guys do here as Commissioner?
    Sweet Jeebus. What a dilemna... off to research this.

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Um... Week 16 Deangelo Williams "Fumble-Lost" stat changed? [New League Champion??!?]

Looks like Evil Empire takes the crown. Same thing happened in my one league last year. During the Sunday morning, a stat correction was applied to Tannehill for minus rushing yards. I forget the exact stat but along the lines of Team A won our league by 0.02 points then Tannehill had a stat correction for -4 rushing yards...Team A lost 0.04 points and lost the championship

Usually corrections are applied by Wednesday...this stat correction of DeAngelo was in my league (I know because he was on my team). Shitty it got delayed and one team thought they won but Evil Empire deserves the title and any accolades/winnings here.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Um... Week 16 Deangelo Williams "Fumble-Lost" stat changed? [New League Champion??!?]

Unbelievable, that stat correction still isn't reflected in the Week 16 results in two of my leagues. That's a tough one, but here's how I think I'd handle it:

As Goldendelicious said, Evil Empire takes the crown. There's really no other sensible outcome that I can see. That team did, in fact, win. Furthermore, and equally as important, the late stat correction had no possible competitive impact on the outcome. And I presume there's no league rule currently in place addressing situations such as this. But based on this tale, I'm considering raising it for discussion with my league mates for future seasons before it has a chance to potentially impact things.

Here's what I mean by that.

Suppose this same situation played out in Week 15, or Weeks 14 or 13, for that matter -- the weeks when playoff qualifiers may be decided, or once the field is set the winning teams survive and advance and the losing team goes home. In that case, a late stat correction very well could impact the competitive aspect of future rounds.

For example, in some leagues, teams that are "eliminated" can't make waiver or free agent pick ups.

So let's say the initial results are such that Team A prevailed over Team B, and moved on to face Team C in the next round. Teams A and C get to work preparing for their upcoming tilt by making whatever roster adjustments they deem fit, picking up players, dropping players, etc. Team A is higher than Team C in waiver priority, and gets the player both are chasing. But wait, on Sunday morning, after the Thursday night slate has been played, hours before the Sunday games are set to kick off, a wonky stat correction is unceremoniously announced/implemented, and it now turns out that Team B -- not Team A -- should have won the prior week and moved on to face Team C.

Maybe not a big deal. But maybe it is.

Maybe Team B would have been lower than Team C in waiver priority such that Team C would have landed that key waiver wire pickup. Maybe Team B, despite actually prevailing the prior week (albeit "officially" not until some 7 days later), did so while being riddled with injuries. Team B now hasn't had any chance to make waiver claims to adjust his/her roster accordingly, and is left to scramble with whatever is left on the FA wire after other team(s) had free reign for several days to snipe whatever they perceived to be the best players -- including one (Team A) that maybe shouldn't have been allowed to pick up players at all.

And this says nothing at all of the fact the games from Thursday night, and maybe even Saturday night (thanks, NFL) are already in the books.

In that case, at best, the players from teams who played on Thursday or Saturday aren't even available to Team B. At worst, Team B had someone from those teams in their active lineup the prior week who they would have sat in the current week, but just left them in there thinking they had been eliminated (e.g., a desperation add for the prior week, an upside "flier" thought needed based on matchups, a guy who ended up getting injured the prior week, etc...). Those players are now locked in. How is that fair to Team B? Even if the Commish can override that, should he? Is that fair to Team C that Team B gets to make lineup decisions (taking a guy out, leaving a guy in) after the fact, knowing how player X actually performed (whether good or bad)?

So all in all, that's just a silly trip down one rabbit hole that could happen in the future based on late stat corrections. Recognizing that it's all rather far fetched, but still. That's why I'm considering talking to my league mates about some rule (at least for playoff weeks, except Championship week given that there are no future matches that can be negatively affected) whereby results have to be considered "final" at some point during the week, like the following Wednesday night after official NFL stat corrections usually are meted out or something.

But circling all the way back to the original question, I also think Evil Empire should be declared the rightful winner here. Sucks for WamBam Thank You Cam, but seems like the right result.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Evil Empire is the winner. This doesn't seem like a dilemma at all. His team scored the most points.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I may decide to promote both teams to Tier I.
    I saw something on Yahoo! Fantasy Football's page the other day, after finals matches that something to the effect of "All matches are final".
    And I swear I saw something that said results wouldn't be changed even if stats were adjusted.
    Maybe I'm dreaming.

Anyways, the match should have been over Tuesday Morning, Dec 29th following MNF.
    It kind of sucks that one team (WamBam) felt like the winner for five days... and is now not the winner.

What if the NFL changes a stat a month from now?
    Or a year from now?
    At least Steve Harvey corrected his mistake within seconds... rather than 5 days!!!

OK... I'm going to an extreme.
    I guess, I just would've thought that the stats should've been adjusted sooner, like maybe Tuesday - at LATEST... not Sunday!
    We should be able to crown a champion and not have it stripped from them.
    (I'm really feeling like I need a Steve Harvey jpeg... let me go find one.)

Above: Peng feelin' like Steve Harvey.

Anyways, I agree... Evil Empire is the winner.
    The sucky part is that in future years we basically have to wait 5-6 days and say "Well... hold on... we think we have a winner, but Yahoo/NHL might have stats to adjust any day now".

Thumbs down to Yahoo!/NFL - whoever took so long to formally register this stat.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Peng feelin like Steve Harvey / Week 16 Deangelo Fumble / New League Champion??!?

In our week 16 championship week I think Yahoo did a stat correct but pretty much said, “Commish’s please update the scores manually if the stat correction changes the outcome of your league”. Luckily it didn’t change ours, but how lazy is that?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll