Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Eagles Release Chip Kelly

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Eagles Release Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Coaches should be getting better and better every year, if not, then yes they are not great coaches. But record is not the only indication of this. And I was not the one to bring records into the conversation. He has not appeared to make any adjustments to his systems to improve the offensive statistics of his teams.
    Which stats would you like to use to say he is not a good coach??
    Your making it sound like they have the worst offensive stats in football..

PASSING GP COMP ATT PCT YDS AVG YDS/G TD INT LNG BIG SCK YDS QBR 1ST PCT
    Eagles 16 384 621 61.8% 4356 7.4 272.3 27 21 72 32 32 225 84.8 218 35.1%

RUSHING GP ATT YDS AVG YDS/G TD BIG FUM FUML STUFF YDS
    Eagles 16 474 1992 4.2 124.5 16 54 10 6 52 -115
    PASSING GP COMP ATT PCT YDS AVG YDS/G TD INT LNG BIG SCK YDS QBR 1ST PCT
    Eagles 15 375 585 64.1% 3772 6.9 251.5 21 17 78 27 36 249 84.0 177 30.3%

RUSHING GP ATT YDS AVG YDS/G TD BIG FUM FUML STUFF YDS
    Eagles 15 416 1623 3.9 108.2 13 45 10 7 44 -139

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    5 years, $55 mil with $22.5 guaranteed? Would have been much better to spend that money on Maclin than Murray.
    In fact I just said that so I don't understand this rant on my take on Maclin. He's a bit overpaid imho but that doesn't mean he's bad, he's very good, and Kelly drafted a WR in the 1st round to take Maclin's place and he underproduced, happens. Ofc that is stupid to refuse to overpay a guy to overpay two guys worse than him (Maxwell and Murray).

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rato View Post
    In fact I just said that so I don't understand this rant on my take on Maclin. He's a bit overpaid imho but that doesn't mean he's bad, he's very good, and Kelly drafted a WR in the 1st round to take Maclin's place and he underproduced, happens. Ofc that is stupid to refuse to overpay a guy to overpay two guys worse than him (Maxwell and Murray).
    I think it's pretty reasonable to say Agholor produced exactly as he should have been expected to. Last years rookie class was an anomaly. Typically, rookie receivers, especially as #1s, are fairly unproductive. I think Maclin has performed perfectly to his contract. As such, he's not overpaid. Will he be in future years? At 27 years old, I doubt it. His guaranteed money will run out before his production.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think it's pretty reasonable to say Agholor produced exactly as he should have been expected to. Last years rookie class was an anomaly. Typically, rookie receivers, especially as #1s, are fairly unproductive. I think Maclin has performed perfectly to his contract. As such, he's not overpaid. Will he be in future years? At 27 years old, I doubt it. His guaranteed money will run out before his production.
    I can agree with the Maclin part, but about rookie recievers I believe it has a lot to do with oportunity. Being the best reciever in Philadelphia I was expecting much more from Agholor. Not expecting 1000 yards but arround 600 and 5 ot 6 TDs would have made a huge difference. There have been a lot of rookies posting these kinds of numbers before 2014.

I can agree with the Maclin part, but about rookie recievers I believe it has a lot to do with oportunity. Being the best reciever in Philadelphia I was expecting much more from Agholor. Not expecting 1000 yards but arround 600 and 5 ot 6 TDs would have made a huge difference. There have been a lot of rookies posting these kinds of numbers before 2014.
    Yea, seems Chip Kelly thought that too. In the NFL, talent needs to force opportunity. If you force mediocre talent into high volume you get well, the Eagles offensive problems this season.

I think it's premature at this point to conclude Kelly is a good/bad coach at the NFL level. In his first three seasons, Bill Belichick went 20-28 - now many view him as an analytical genius (not me).

Again, I think Kelly's failure to realize the NFL is a talent driven league, and NOT a head coach driven league - despite his hype - was his ultimate undoing. Now was that due to hubris or naivete? I am guessing the former.

As some here have already stated, his drop-DJax-for-Maclin-then-drop-Maclin-for-Agholor was really puzzling, and serves as a glaring example to his failed tactic of swapping players as if they're all interchangeable parts.

I think he'll wind up in TEN, but he could ultimately pull a Pete Carroll and go back to college for a couple of years then reappear in the NFL a better coach.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yea, seems Chip Kelly thought that too. In the NFL, talent needs to force opportunity. If you force mediocre talent into high volume you get well, the Eagles offensive problems this season.
    I guess you're right but if he's not talented maybe he shouldn't be picked 20th overall. In the end that's on Chip Kelly too.

I guess you're right but if he's not talented maybe he shouldn't be picked 20th overall. In the end that's on Chip Kelly too.
    He is talented, But to assume a college rookie is going to step in and fulfill the role of a veteran NFL WR, let alone have a sustained career is (again) very ignorant or arrogant.

Tyler Lockett is talented too, but you don't see the Seahawks purging Baldwin from their roster.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    He is talented, But to assume a college rookie is going to step in and fulfill the role of a veteran NFL WR, let alone have a sustained career is (again) very ignorant or arrogant.

Tyler Lockett is talented too, but you don't see the Seahawks purging Baldwin from their roster.
    As I said, even before last year, there were a lot of rookie recievers who posted very interesting numbers. It's OK he takes a little more then expected to adapt to pro, he was not the only problem, but he was underwhelming, to say the least.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Welp. Why wait until after the finale?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...delphia-eagles
    Whether or not the Eagles will be better because of Kelly’s firing, his firing is a blow for creativity in football. Better to watch a bad but interesting team than a mediocre normal one.

I think it's premature at this point to conclude Kelly is a good/bad coach at the NFL level. In his first three seasons, Bill Belichick went 20-28 - now many view him as an analytical genius (not me).

Again, I think Kelly's failure to realize the NFL is a talent driven league, and NOT a head coach driven league - despite his hype - was his ultimate undoing. Now was that due to hubris or naivete? I am guessing the former.

As some here have already stated, his drop-DJax-for-Maclin-then-drop-Maclin-for-Agholor was really puzzling, and serves as a glaring example to his failed tactic of swapping players as if they're all interchangeable parts.

I think he'll wind up in TEN, but he could ultimately pull a Pete Carroll and go back to college for a couple of years then reappear in the NFL a better coach.
    Put me in the camp that says Kelly is probably an awesome coach. It's tough to tart out a career 20-12 and 26-21. He's just an awful GM. Many coaches are. Kelly's steadfast hubris that he could put any players in "his system" and win was a typical college attitude. It works in college, because every winning college program is based on system, not talent. There's simply too many college teams and too much distribution of talent to win in college based on "talent". Sure it's important, but the system is much more important. In the NFL, it's different, sure you can scheme a WR to get 1 or 2 steps open, but they have to catch the ball when that happens, normally with a hand on them somewhere and a safety coming in for a big hit. You can't "system" a WR in the NFL to be open by 5 steps. Everyone is too good. Kelly's downfall was thinking his system trumps talent, and if your argument is the "talent" was a rookie WR and a second year slot WR, well it's foolish to think at this point of their careers that's a viable level of NFL talent

Put me in the camp that says Kelly is probably an awesome coach. It's tough to tart out a career 20-12 and 26-21. He's just an awful GM. Many coaches are. Kelly's steadfast hubris that he could put any players in "his system" and win was a typical college attitude. It works in college, because every winning college program is based on system, not talent. There's simply too many college teams and too much distribution of talent to win in college based on "talent". Sure it's important, but the system is much more important. In the NFL, it's different, sure you can scheme a WR to get 1 or 2 steps open, but they have to catch the ball when that happens, normally with a hand on them somewhere and a safety coming in for a big hit. You can't "system" a WR in the NFL to be open by 5 steps. Everyone is too good. Kelly's downfall was thinking his system trumps talent, and if your argument is the "talent" was a rookie WR and a second year slot WR, well it's foolish to think at this point of their careers that's a viable level of NFL talent
    Yup, I agree with all of that.

As I said, even before last year, there were a lot of rookie recievers who posted very interesting numbers. It's OK he takes a little more then expected to adapt to pro, he was not the only problem, but he was underwhelming, to say the least.
    The 2014 and 2015 draft classes were exceptionally deep at the skill positions (more so 2014) and I think that uptick in talent spoiled many a FF GM. Generally WRs need 2-3 years to refine their route concepts and develop the skills to beat NFL corners against man-press coverage in order to be reliable weekly contributors at the NFL level. Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin is an exception. He was/is a terrible route runner but uses his immense size and strength to wrestle the ball under control. Agholor is not that player.

Listen, I drafted Agholor in a dynasty league and had high hopes in using him as a WR3 in his rookie year so, yeah, I was disappointed too. But for Kelly to believe (if he did) Agholor would seamlessly replace the production of a vet like Maclin is confounding to say the least. Also, you have to consider that even when players like DJax and Maclin aren't going off production-wise their very presence on the field has a positive effect on their respective QBs because opposing defenses have to respect their ability and account for their whereabouts on each play. Presuming a rookie like Agholor is capable of such commanding field presence at this early stage in his career was another blunder.

...and don't get me started on Frank Gore. Could you imagine Gore as a lateral runner at this stage in his career?

Anywho...Kelly is an innovator and I applaud him for that. But if he is to find long term success in the NFL he needs to re-think his strategy.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Chip Kelly's offensive packages created way too many turnovers.. D.Murray was a bust.. S.Bradford was a bust.. They definitely missed McCoy and even Maclin..

I can see Kelly coaching in Tennessee next season.. And then he will be fired, and back to the NCAA ranks..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..