Thread: Keeper League Stashes

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Keeper League Stashes

Hey guys,

Looking for insight for next season. With the final week here, I'm looking to snag a few players to stash on the bench until next season. Guys who could potentially pop up as the new #1 RB, starting WR, those kind of lines. We keep max 3 and I have a middling roster as is in terms of keeper potential. Also an important note is that if we drop a player and he his claimed, he would be drafted based on previous year's draft not FA claim (so Julio Jones would still be a 1st but we can't keep 1st rounders so he is useless atm)

Here's an idea of guys I've grabbed so far:
    Jay Ajayi (RB, MIA)
    Cameron Artis-Payne (RB, CAR)
    Jaelen Strong (WR, HOU)
    Zach Zenner (RB, DET)

Any other thoughts? Guys who had preseason injuries (Nelson, Benjamin, Kevin White, Perriman, etc.) are all gone as well.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Keeper League Stashes

I'm adding Josh Gordon in every league I can.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    I wanted to add him, but a guy drafted him and has stashed him since.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's pretty much impossible to give you an extensive list without knowing who is and isn't there. Go through the depth charts on rotoworld would be the best option.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It's pretty much impossible to give you an extensive list without knowing who is and isn't there. Go through the depth charts on rotoworld would be the best option.
    Never seems to hurt people throwing out their opinions on hockey prospects in the same sort of subject matter

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Did Dion Lewis get dropped when he went down?? I really like J.White from NE!!

I'd add Thomas Rawls if you could.. B.Powell has been awesome down the stretch, but I think he isa little banged up for week 17..

Would any of these guys actually be keepers for some teams?? How many teams are in this league??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    I've owned Gordon for two years now in a dynasty league and stashed him on IR this past season. I will see this to the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Ajayi and Zenner would be atop my list. Karlos Williams too.
    @SmittysRant

Ohhhhh yes forgot about K.Williams, great stash!!

How were you able to put Gordon on your IR?? That would never fly in my league.. He was suspended, not on Cleveland's IR..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Expert

Thanks for input boys. I'm glad that a bunch of the moves I made were ones later suggested. I didn't get Gordon since he was drafted and held onto in my one league (I have to many sure fire keeper potentials in my other to take the risk on Gordon).

But I have managed to stash the following:
    Rawls, Zenner (I IR'd him the day he went on), Artis-Payne, Jaelen Strong (darkhorse), Funchess & Ajayi...unfortunately many of the bigger named rookies like Perriman, White and of course all-stars like Nelson have been rostered since the draft. So adding the above should put me in a good position going into the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Ohhhhh yes forgot about K.Williams, great stash!!

How were you able to put Gordon on your IR?? That would never fly in my league.. He was suspended, not on Cleveland's IR..
    Ummm, dunno, never thought of it that way. As long as his rights are owned by a team any player can be rostered. However, once you stash a player on IR he remains there all season. I had to take a chance w/Gordon. So far...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Ummm, dunno, never thought of it that way. As long as his rights are owned by a team any player can be rostered. However, once you stash a player on IR he remains there all season. I had to take a chance w/Gordon. So far...
    We implemented a rule in my dynasty league a couple of years ago specifically to address this, coincidentally, based on Gordon's status during his last suspension.

Like Zorro suggests, we only allow injured players to be put onto our league's IR. To be eligible, the player must be injured at the time you designate him for IR according to the site we use (the player does not have be on the NFL IR). Once designated for our IR list, that player must sit out a minimum of 3 games. You can keep him on IR all year if you'd like, but 3 games are a minimum. Suspended players -- even if also injured -- are ineligible for IR.

That setup has worked quite nicely thus far. It really makes you work hard to keep a player like Gordon or Peterson or whomever, but you can make it work if you want to. But if you don't have the patience, or you have a strong team trying to make a run this season and need all the roster spots you can muster, you can try to trade the suspended player (probably for 50 cents on the dollar, at best) or just cut him. We've found that this can actually help the less competitive teams rebuild faster, because it's really hard to sit on a suspended player for long when in win-now mode while those in a rebuild are more likely to "burn" a roster spot on a troubled player with elite/very good potential as they build toward next season.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

A real outside chance with a little Belichick magic and Montee Ball could be a darkhorse for next year. I read a report that Belichick signed Jackson because to light a fire under Ball and to get his desire to play back. Jackson was Ball's favourite player growing up. Ball wore Jackson's number when he first got to Patriots. The day that Jackson showed up, Belichick had gave Ball a new number and given Jackson his usual number back.

Not the safest pick, but the Patriots always seem to work magic and make something out of nothing... which they might have done with Ball.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...steven-jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Never seems to hurt people throwing out their opinions on hockey prospects in the same sort of subject matter
    I agree here.... and I would say the reason for this is that this forum is hockey based and the majority of the knowledge is in hockey... therefore there is more confidence in tossing out hockey guys.

I wish there was a similar forum that focused on football.

Dobber Sports Titan

Steve Smith Sr. I stashed him in week 13 I think after dropping someone, picked him up, IRd him, and picked someone else up. This was when he was still retiring. Now that he’s coming back, he may be a real outside chance at being a keeper for me; depending on the pre-season stats he puts up.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Steve Smith Sr. I stashed him in week 13 I think after dropping someone, picked him up, IRd him, and picked someone else up. This was when he was still retiring. Now that he’s coming back, he may be a real outside chance at being a keeper for me; depending on the pre-season stats he puts up.
    I'd sell on Smith if there's a GM in your league looking to get sneaky thinking he's due for a repeat performance prior to his season ending injury. It's a tough road back from an Achilles tear and most players don't regain their explosiveness for at least a year after their return. It's true for any large tendon tear, including the patellar. Given Smith's age and the nature of the injury I think it's a good time to sell while the emotional component of his return is still high. I just don't see him producing at the level of value you could get in return from a willing dance partner.

Keeper/dynasty league GMs always seem prone to hanging on too long to players that were once top tier talents, rather than selling a year early in return for younger stock. It's common, we all do it. But in Smith's case I'd sell if the price is right. High third and Clive Walford or Stefon Diggs depending on your needs.
    @SmittysRant