Thread: McGregor/Aldo #1

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default McGregor/Aldo #1

Anyone watch this one last night? Did not expect what transpired. Aldo was very quiet (focused?) coming down to the ring, even once he got in the ring, he wouldn't look at McGregor. It just seemed weird to me, but maybe he's always like that before he fights.

I am in awe of McGregor's talent/style, but hate his trash talk. It lacks a certain class, however, if you back it up, I guess you're allowed to do it! An obvious rematch at some point.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

Default Re: McGregor/Aldo #1

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Anyone watch this one last night? Did not expect what transpired. Aldo was very quiet (focused?) coming down to the ring, even once he got in the ring, he wouldn't look at McGregor. It just seemed weird to me, but maybe he's always like that before he fights.

I am in awe of McGregor's talent/style, but hate his trash talk. It lacks a certain class, however, if you back it up, I guess you're allowed to do it! An obvious rematch at some point.
    Joe Rogan was asked about Aldo's demeanour. Apparently he is always like that. Can't look his opponents in the eye.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

There was nothing different or off about Aldo. He looked and acted the same way he always does. He just simply got caught. It's unfortunate the fight ended that way given all the build-up, but these things happen in a sport like MMA.

I love McGregor. I still don't think he'll be a long-term dominant champ like GSP/Silva were, but I think guys like him are great for the UFC and for elevating the sport to the mainstream. Way more entertaining than watching guys like Aldo/GSP.

One thing's for sure... Dana and the Fertitta brothers must have been so relieved that McGregor won... would've been a huge blow to the organization if they lost their only other mega-star after Rousey got destroyed.

Administrator

If Aldo had been schooled for five full rounds I might look more into his mindset going in. This was a very sudden ending that could have happened to anyone.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

I...am your father.

It was shocking, but I was okay with it being over quick because the prior match was so entertaining and to follow that up with a shocker was great. Aldo was out before he even hit the mat
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Star

McGregor is the guy that everyone loves to hate. Blayze, couldn't agree with you more about the UFC brass loving the win. Not that Aldo is bad; he is actually a brilliant fighter. He is just not very marketable. He doesn't speak English. He is quiet and subdued. McGregor is a guy that will make huge dollars for the UFC. He is not only a great fighter, but maybe the best trash talker that the UFC has ever seen. He's clever and quick-witted and VERY good for the UFC. This is, as Blayze pointed out, also perfect timing as McGregor can easily step up to fill the shoes just worn by Rousey as the UFC Poster Child.

Rylant