Thread: What the Lack is wrong with him....

Dobber Sports Giant

Default What the Lack is wrong with him....

I've owned Lack since 2013-2014 and have held on to him in hopes that he would eventually get the starting gig in Vancouver due to his stellar play as a backup. With the Miller signing, I took a step back and was hoping for a trade to a team in need of a starter. When Carolina signed him, especially with the extension, I was starting to believe that what I had hoped for would come true; especially since Ward was not playing well last year and early on this year. Well even though everything was nicely laid out in front of him, Lack was still unable to take the next step.

His play as a Hurricane is alarming and has got me thinking that he may never become the starter I had pegged him to be.

What's you take on him? Lost hope, still have faith, never believed, ...?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: What the Lack is wrong with him....

I think Carolina just sucks.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    So if he was on any other team (bottom teams), you think he would fare better? (i.e. Toronto, Edmonton, Buffalo, ...)

I would assume he would, but I don't know.

Carolina's D isn't that bad IMO. I mean, I've seen Lack and Ward let in 4-5 goals on less than 25 shots on several occasions this year...
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

exactly.

lack, bernier etc...they are above average goalies. or average at worst. they are terrible right now because their team is atrocious.

The Great One

Lack reminds me of a poor man's Elliott... Seems to be a great guy off the ice and can run with the ball for periods but not someone you invest in as a bonafide starter (the joys of unproven goalies eh?)

Administrator

Exactly the reason I completely ignored Lack in my one-year leagues...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

You try playing once every two to three weeks for Carolina.

Goalie = Fine
    Team = Ugly
    Usage = Yuck
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    exactly.

lack, bernier etc...they are above average goalies. or average at worst. they are terrible right now because their team is atrocious.
    But a 22yr old that was in the ECHL last yr can get a win with the Leafs. Sometimes goalies aren’t starters, and kinda seems like Lack is an Elliot at best. Either by talent, mental conditioning or physical conditioning, sometimes a goalie just doesn’t have all the characteristics that make up a 60 start goalie

I was really fond of him, but jumped shipped about 2-3 weeks into the season.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Carolina allows the fewest shots/games at 25.7 and the goalies let in 3-5 every game....

some of this has to be on the goalies....

waiting for Andersen to go to Carolina

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Dano85 View Post
    Carolina allows the fewest shots/games at 25.7 and the goalies let in 3-5 every game....

some of this has to be on the goalies....
    This was the reason for my worry. I did not know they allowed the fewest, but I did know that the goalies would let in 3+ goals on very few shots pretty much every game...

Minors:

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

6 goals on 20 shots tonights...team must suck...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I've owned Lack since 2013-2014 and have held on to him in hopes that he would eventually get the starting gig in Vancouver due to his stellar play as a backup. With the Miller signing, I took a step back and was hoping for a trade to a team in need of a starter. When Carolina signed him, especially with the extension, I was starting to believe that what I had hoped for would come true; especially since Ward was not playing well last year and early on this year. Well even though everything was nicely laid out in front of him, Lack was still unable to take the next step.

His play as a Hurricane is alarming and has got me thinking that he may never become the starter I had pegged him to be.

What's you take on him? Lost hope, still have faith, never believed, ...?
    I'm in the exact same boat here. Lack was pretty good in VAN last season. I expected him to put up league average numbers in CAR, grab the starters role when they move on from Ward and improve as the team improves from there. Obviously the league average numbers thing hasn't happened. I've kept him benched for over a month hoping to see some signs of improvement. There doesn't seem to be any of that coming.

I plan to hold him through the end of the season, if his play improves then he'll stick around another season.
    Full Keeper: 10 Team (300 drafted), H2H, Daily, Y!
    Roster: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 10Reserve, 1IR
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
              W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backes, Toews, Couture, Scheifele, Horvat, Fabbri
    LW: Landeskog, Galchenyuk, Lucic, Palat
    RW: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Carter, Coyle, Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Klingberg, Josi, Shattenkirk, Ekman-Larsson, Phaneuf, Nurse, Ceci
    G: Holtby, Allen, Lack, Greiss, Enroth, Kuemper

2015 League Champion
    2016 League Champion

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dano85 View Post
    6 goals on 20 shots tonights...team must suck...
    Goal #1 - Seguin is somehow allowed to send a puck completely across the ice when it's a 2 on 2 without anyone taking the passing lane. Canes forward is dogging it on the back check.
    Goal #2 - Two Hurricanes players get completely crossed up and crash into each other + Nichushkin leaving Benn sitting alone wide open in the slot. Other Canes defenseman is ****ing around in the corner with his man.
    Goal #3 - Ward probably needs to make this stop, but kind of tough when both your dmen lose their positioning battles in front of the net. But let's say this one is his fault.
    Goal #4 - On the PP 3 Canes players over-commit in the corner leaving Eric Staal to cover Klingberg and Seguin. Wide open one timer for Seguin all alone.
    Goal #5 - Nichushkin literally skates through 3 (no that's not a typo, THREE) Canes players in the Hurricane's zone to get a partial breakaway.
    Goal #6 - This one is on Lack. I think that's a stoppable puck.

What's the point of all this? Volume of shots doesn't mean shit if the shots you do let through are great scoring chances. I'm not fully making excuses for the Canes goalies, there have been plenty of examples of star goalies playing on crap teams that manage to put up respectable numbers and at some point Ward and Lack have to make a save (i.e. that 6th goal last night). But this isn't Halak in St.Louis 5 years ago . Carolina truly sucks.

And this is kind of an excuse but when you're playing in front of a trash tier team I think it's actually better to be facing more shots. You get a rhythm going and get into the zone as opposed to standing there for half the game and then when you have to make a save it's Jamie Benn alone in the slot.

Disclaimer: No I'm not a Hurricanes fan, because really who is

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Nice post.
    I watched most of this game last night and reviewed all of the highlights.
    The Canes are a weird weird team. Their puck possession numbers are surprisingly good.
    They'll go and play better at home than on the road.
    They aren't giving up a ton of shots this year... but when they do, seems they are high percentage opportunities.

The defensive skills of their D-men are not good. [Hasn't it seemed like they've stockpiled offensive D-men for just way, way too long?]
    I think that's a big issue.
    It's compounded by the goalies KNOWING that they're gonna face some high% scoring opps... and being prepared to let one in.

Perfect storm (pun intended) of a bad D, giving up high quality shots, and goalies that don't make any key saves.
    I mean... if you are a CAR goalie... you're thinking "Eventually, at some points tonight, my defense is going to let somebody have point-blank shots on me..."

[I actually think the CAR forwards play a decent defensive game themselves... and this is why their puck possession numbers suggest the "team" is a bit better than the record... but the D is not good, make not mistake.]