Thread: Disturbed's The Sound of Silence

Dobber Sports Star

Default Disturbed's The Sound of Silence

I am the guy who tends to prefer when bands significantly change the tempo or pacing or overall feel of a song when they cover it. For me, it's why I really love Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt, or Limp Bizkit's cover of Faith, or Seether's cover of Careless Whisper. This cover of The Sound of Silence is amazing...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Disturbed's The Sound of Silence

Very nice. Really enjoy covers, especially when I feel they respect the original song without "copying" it.
    This is actually very close to the original, with that dark annger that seems to suit the song.

Cake - I will survive is one I always loves as well as Chris Cornell's cover of Billie Jean.
    Summertime Blues the Who, All Along the watchtower by Hendrix.
    RESPECT by Aretha franklin was a cover of Otis Redding.
    White Stripes Jolene.
    One of the best ever was the Chilli Peppers Higher Ground.

My brain is on overload, but there are sooo many.

Then there a re a few pure covers that are just awesome like Stevie Ray Vaughan's Little wing.

I acyually think doing covers of old somgs can help bands, even famous ones, rediscover something that may have been lost. Just saying.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like the song, It is good to see a band not just stay in the same mold. I really love the cover of A Perfect Circle doing Imagine. They really make it transform into something else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dunKAwRN3P8

If your a Disturbed fan I have a story about Disturbed:

I saw them around 2000-2002 when they were pretty new and big. I was down in the pit area, guys were crowd surfing, moshing, etc. Some dude fell off the hands while crowd surfing and lost his shoe. Someone picked up the shoe and yelled whos shoe is this? Right at that very time my friend threw up a metal hand (horns folded with fingers) and hit the shoe in just a certain way that launched it right at the lead singers head, think the shoe throwing vs Geage W Bush!!! I could not believe it happened but what happened next is still very funny to me to this day!

This guy who growls, barks, and is all bald and tough looking stopped the concert and had a mild fit about who the F@@CK threw a shoe at him. I could not believe a metal band would stop a show over this?? I am old school and just could not see Slayer stopping a show for this, in fact a riot would have started if they did!! Not really picking on the band Disturbed, but to this day when I see my buddy I think of this day when he launched the shoe at the singer, could never happen again if he tried a million times.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto Keeper:Keep 6 each year
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

RW: Kucherov
    G: Helly

Dobber Sports Star

Ahh Chuk, how did I miss Cornell's cover of Billie Jean. It is easily one of my favourites and I listen to it several times a week. Also love Chilli's Higher Ground. Sadly, although I know that Hendrix covered All Along the Watchtower, it is one of those songs that I don't regularly think of as a cover. Also, as much as I hate Aerosmith, their version of Come Together is awesome.

Interestingly, I heard an interview with Trent Reznor a while ago, and in that interview, they asked him about Johnny Cash doing Hurt. He kind of laughed and flat out said "It's not my song anymore; it is Johnny Cash's song now."

Hipcheck, that is an awesome story. I love awesome concert stories.

Rylant