Thread: Is Talbot Done?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Is Talbot Done?

Talbot hasn't started for the Oilers in more than a few games now. With Nilsson playing well, is Talbot worth keeping? I have three goalies in a head to head league and Talbot has been dead weight for several weeks. I keep him because he was a starter and the only other goalies out there are back ups but Berra is getting more starts than Cam. starting to think i should drop him.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Is Talbot Done?

Would rather see your entire team and league cats before commenting too much.

If the actual question is "Should I drop Talbot in order to pick up Berra?"

then I would say "NO". Nilsson has taken the 1a of the tandem no doubt, but NOTHING is certain in Edmonton. What I AM pretty certain is that Berra is more of a Khudobin type goalie to his team. He will ALWAYS be the #2 regardless of Varly being healthy and starting or Pickard jumping into the #1 spot if Varly goes down to injury. Berra had the same short burst hot streak in Calgary a couple seasons back and then promptly fell off the radar. I see no reason to roster Berra over Talbot.

Now if there are other FA's available, perhaps that would warrant a Talbot move, but for now, I think I'd just roster him on your bench. Keeper? If so, How many do you keep?

Dobber Sports Superstar

The problem is the Edmonton team in general. They thought Dubnyk was their problem and threw him to the wolves, but once you put some actual defense in front of him, turns out he's a pretty good goalie.

Nilsson is on a bit of a run for now, but I don't see it lasting all that long. Talbot won't be a great option either until Edmonton fixes their defensive woes.

I agree with Havana that we need more information, and dropping Talbot for Berra doesn't make much progress for you, but I'm definitely open to dropping Talbot if an appropriate pick up is available.

Dobber Sports Newbie

C - Backstrom, Schiefele and Turris
    W - Kucherov, J Williams, Toffoli, Atkinson, Downie (for PIMs), Brouwer and Loui Ericksson
    D - Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Dumba, CAmpbell, Vatanen and Seabrook
    G - Holtby, Condon and Talbot

Not a keeper league, Goalies count for 4 of 9 head to head stats, so goalies make a disproportionate impact on results
    Available on FA are the usual suspects Khudobodin, Kuemper, Stalock, Bernier. Brian Elliott is available and looks good if Cam doesnt start more. I agree the Oil have serious problems esp with Defense and i picked up Cam at start of season as a starter assuming McDavid played and oilers started scoring.

Dobber Sports Monster

The problem is their team. They have got to make a trade to get some D men soon to help out their goalies. He isn't a bad goalie but being on Edmonton doesn't help his numbers any. There might be better options in FA

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    The problem is their team. They have got to make a trade to get some D men soon to help out their goalies. He isn't a bad goalie but being on Edmonton doesn't help his numbers any. There might be better options in FA
    exactly. there are few goalies in the league that would make edmonton a respectable team with their current D group. talbot could still put up good numbers if he was given some support. unfortunately that might not even happen until the offseason so if you can't afford to wait that long i'd definitely consider looking at other options.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    exactly. there are few goalies in the league that would make edmonton a respectable team with their current D group. talbot could still put up good numbers if he was given some support. unfortunately that might not even happen until the offseason so if you can't afford to wait that long i'd definitely consider looking at other options.
    Still mind boggling to me why Edmonton hasn't traded for some defence. RNH or Eberle to get some. I'd trade Yakupov but he won't fetch you much at this point and holds more value just staying with the Oil just because he has shown good chemistry with McDavid.

Dobber Sports Newbie

I liked Cam when he played for the Rangers but he had a solid blue line in front of him. Agree, I don't see how the Oilers go forward without additions at D. Mind you they have been weak there for some time, its not news.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by lannys all stars View Post
    I liked Cam when he played for the Rangers but he had a solid blue line in front of him. Agree, I don't see how the Oilers go forward without additions at D. Mind you they have been weak there for some time, its not news.
    And the way things are going they will have another top pick in the draft. Would be pretty bad if they get Auston Matthews and would seem unfair to the other bad teams in the league. Hopefully they trade one or both of RNH or Eberle to get some defence. Would have been nice if EDM used RNH in a deal to get Hamonic though but from what it looks like NYI wants a D man in return.

Dobber Sports Newbie

that makes sense as NYI need D more than fwds. TSN just did interesting piece arguing oilers shldn't trade RNH. Eberle maybe a better bet. Yakupov wouldn't get much in exchange.