Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Benn for Tavares?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Benn for Tavares?

League in sig. Points only. I'm in fourth, but pretty much done with the Price injury (unless I move Price to a bottom feeder team, but no plans on that for that).

Looking to counter someone's offer for my Benn. At this point, I am looking at next season and beyond. Is Tavares for Benn straight up worth it? Would either side have to add?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Benn for Tavares?

I wouldn't trade my Tavares for Benn (Despite what the numbers show right now). But It may not take me much more to consider it. Damn good compare. I still value JT over Benn at the moment. But if Benn delivers another season like last, I'm sure quite a few will be re-thinking where Benn truly should lie in the power rankings.

Dobber Sports Stud

If you had asked me that three months ago, I would have said JT is more valuable than Benn. As of today however, Benn is the better own. Only a year separates the two super stars and Dallas looks to have a far more potent offense - which the stats this year are displaying.

Benn is arguably the most valuable player in dynasty points-only formats. I've got Seguin, Kane and McDavid right there with him. JT rounds out the top five in all likelihood.

Just one (Benn owner's) man's opinion
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think if it were me, I'd go with JT. But the argument for Benn is super valid. The amount of talent that he is surrounded by on Dallas is just insane with Seguin Sharp and Klingberg.

Dobber Sports Pro

Oh man, this is a great one. Two top options, you can't go wrong here. If you hold a gun to my head, I'd go with Tavares, but I won't blame you if you keep Benn.
    12 teams, Yahoo H2H, daily, keep 5.

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 5BN, IR+
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Pettersson
    LW: M.Tkachuk (+RW), Zucker (+RW), Coleman (+RW), N.Foligno (+C)
    RW: Kucherov, Svechnikov (+LW), W.Nylander (+C), Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Hughes,Doughty, Ekblad, Hronek, McNabb, Cernak
    G: Lehner, Grubauer, Francouz
    IR+:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Tavares has always been an overrated point producer. "He's a 100 point player!" they always say, while the dude has 2 PPG seasons in his career. For me, I'll take Benn, who has shown a higher upside, is used in every situation, and has 2 elite running mates in Seguin and Kilngberg.

Dobber Sports Padawan

To me Benn looks an awful like Malkin did in 07/08 and 08/09. Physically dominant, potent scorer, magic hands. I think I'd stand pay despite my love of JT.
    Yahoo League #1 - H2H Keep 21
    [F] Tkachuk, Barkov, A Svechnikov, Kaprizov, DeBrincat, Scheifele, RNH, Suzuki, Laine, Kakko, Cozens
    [D] Makar, Hughes, Nurse, Chabot, Byram
    [G] Hart, Shesterkin, Lehner, Helle

Yahoo League #2 - H2H Keep 22
    [F] MacKinnon, Guentzel, DeBrincat, EP40, Gaudreau, Barzal, Hughes, Laine, Garland, Norris, Batherson, Farabee
    [D] Hedman, MacAvoy, Nurse, Chabot, Pionk, Byram
    [G] Nedeljkovic, Smith, Gustavsson, Murray

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Tavares has always been an overrated point producer. "He's a 100 point player!" they always say, while the dude has 2 PPG seasons in his career. For me, I'll take Benn, who has shown a higher upside, is used in every situation, and has 2 elite running mates in Seguin and Kilngberg.
    C'mon now, Tavares has been a PPG player since 2011 season. http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?repo...regate=1&pos=S

This is very very close. Since 2011, we have:
    Tavares: 293 GP, 301 points
    Benn: 299 GP, 297 points

Who's going to produce more from now on? I think it's gonna be dead even!
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    C'mon now, Tavares has been a PPG player since 2011 season. http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?repo...regate=1&pos=S

This is very very close. Since 2011, we have:
    Tavares: 293 GP, 301 points
    Benn: 299 GP, 297 points

Who's going to produce more from now on? I think it's gonna be dead even!
    A matter of framing stats to make your argument?

2011-2012, 81 points in 82 games. Close, but NOT point-per-game
    2012-2013, 47 points in 48 games. Close, but NOT point-per-game

So he's been a PPG player since 2013-2014. Don't force his more recent stats to inflate his previous stats.

And how is 4 years the benchmark? Seguin has only been in Dallas for 2, and that changes everything for Benn. Since the 2013-2014 season:

Tavares: 163 GP, 173 points, 1.061 points per game
    Benn: 187 GP, 201 points, 1.075 points per game

I'm not saying it's not close. These are two elite players, and when you're talking about elite players, you HAVE to be picky. For all we hear about Tavares' supposed incredible 100 point upside, it's simply over-stated. He's elite, but he doesn't have this incredible amazing points upside. For me, it's Benn.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola View Post
    If you had asked me that three months ago, I would have said JT is more valuable than Benn. As of today however, Benn is the better own. Only a year separates the two super stars and Dallas looks to have a far more potent offense - which the stats this year are displaying.

Benn is arguably the most valuable player in dynasty points-only formats. I've got Seguin, Kane and McDavid right there with him. JT rounds out the top five in all likelihood.

Just one (Benn owner's) man's opinion

20 games played under a PPG pace so Crosby is no longer a top 5 own in points-only?

As far as the debate goes, have to say Benn purely on the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately bias that rules the fantasy world. It's honestly a toss up though IMO. Tavares is the more gifted individual, Benn is in a much more explosive situation.

Dobber Sports Stud

A matter of framing stats to make your argument?

2011-2012, 81 points in 82 games. Close, but NOT point-per-game
    2012-2013, 47 points in 48 games. Close, but NOT point-per-game

So he's been a PPG player since 2013-2014. Don't force his more recent stats to inflate his previous stats.

And how is 4 years the benchmark? Seguin has only been in Dallas for 2, and that changes everything for Benn. Since the 2013-2014 season:

Tavares: 163 GP, 173 points, 1.061 points per game
    Benn: 187 GP, 201 points, 1.075 points per game

I'm not saying it's not close. These are two elite players, and when you're talking about elite players, you HAVE to be picky. For all we hear about Tavares' supposed incredible 100 point upside, it's simply over-stated. He's elite, but he doesn't have this incredible amazing points upside. For me, it's Benn.
    C'mon man.. one point shy of a point per game, IS a point per game. The difference is negligible. I reiterate that my choice is Benn here, but JT has been a point per game player since '11-'12.

Both fantastic owns and in point only dynasty leagues, they are top five assets. I like Benn more because of his situation and his dominance of late.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola View Post
    C'mon man.. one point shy of a point per game, IS a point per game. The difference is negligible. I reiterate that my choice is Benn here, but JT has been a point per game player since '11-'12.

Both fantastic owns and in point only dynasty leagues, they are top five assets. I like Benn more because of his situation and his dominance of late.
    It's by definition not point per game. And yea. The difference is negligible, if you're comparing Tavares to like RNH. But when you're comparing the ELITE of the ELITE, negligible differences become LARGE differences. And JT has been a PPG player since 2013-2014

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's by definition not point per game. And yea. The difference is negligible, if you're comparing Tavares to like RNH. But when you're comparing the ELITE of the ELITE, negligible differences become LARGE differences. And JT has been a PPG player since 2013-2014
    Your "close but not quite ppg season" argument is weak. Tavares is 4th most in points since 2011 season. And if you look closely at PPG per season, you'll notice that he's been very consistent across seasons. Not sure what more evidence you need to conclude that Tavares is one of the top producers in the NHL and has been since 2011 season.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Monster

I would rather have Benn. If I were to trade Benn for Tavares I would want a prospect or a piece that fills one of my rosters needs.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Your "close but not quite ppg season" argument is weak. Tavares is 4th most in points since 2011 season. And if you look closely at PPG per season, you'll notice that he's been very consistent across seasons. Not sure what more evidence you need to conclude that Tavares is one of the top producers in the NHL and has been since 2011 season.
    I'm saying the 2011 season is a random and generic choosing point, especially since Seguin is a large part of the argument for Benn, and Seguin has only been in Dallas since the 2013-2014 season.

And not once did I say he wasn't one of the top point producers in the NHL. Just that he doesn't have the upside that the majority of fantasy hockey players sell him as having.

And if you look closely at PPG per season, he was not a PPG player in 2011-2012, nor was he in 2012-2013.

None of those are "weak" arguments, they are all just facts. If you can't understand that you have to be nit-picky when comparing the most elite of elite players, then I can't help you.

Tavares might be 4th most points since the 2011 season, and Benn is only 5th most points since the 2011 season, however:

Tavares has the 9th most points since the 2012 season, and Benn has the 3rd most
    Tavares has the 7th most points since the 2013 season, and Benn has the 2nd most
    Tavares has the 3rd most points since the 2014 season, and Benn has the most
    Tavares has the 25th most points in the 2015 season, and Benn has the 2nd most

So if you want to choose to not recognize that you have to be very nitpicky, and if you want to keep choosing random arbitrary dates to start counting stats from, fine. I'll just be over here providing actual statistical evidence of the question asked in an attempt to help the OP.

And if you want to argue the definition of what a point per game player is fine, but 81 Points in 82 Games DOES NOT EQUAL 1.0000000000000000000000000000000 points per game. Nor does 47 Points in 48 Games.

Again, we're arguing over the elite of the elite.