Thread: Larkin/Boedker for Couture?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Larkin/Boedker for Couture?

FIRST league in signature. I'm rebuilding this year.

I was just offered Couture and Lehtera/Petry (don't care about these 2 guys, except for maybe re-sale value) for Boedker (not keeping) and Larkin (was probably keeping). He also slipped in a pick swap - 2nd round for 2 round. I may offer him a trade and downgrade these picks to 3rd.

I don't know why I'm so hesitant about this trade. I have no will or chance to win this year. Couture should be an upgrade from Larkin....right? Why can't I pull the trigger on this one? Is my man-crush for Larkin overtaking me?! HELP me forums!
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Larkin/Boedker for Couture?

I wouldn't do it. I personally value Larkin and Couture pretty evenly. Larkin is just 19 and looks to have the talent to be a stud 70 point player, and while Couture is consistent, he's 26 now and has never broken the 70 point mark (only broken his leg this season). Boedker is a useful player this year too.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Genius

Honestly I don't particularly blame you here, as much as I agree that Couture is a more established product, Larkin sure looks like he's going to be in the same realm if not maybe even a bit better. You also get older (not that Couture is ancient or anything) and in a rebuild its nice to stay young. On top of that you have a very multi-cat style league, and to be frank Couture is not exactly the best at filling all those cats. Larkin will give you a big edge in both PIMs and HITs, while conceding BLKS which I typically look to my defense for anyways. Goals and assists may go Coutures way for a year or so but I bet Larkin makes up some ground there anyways. SOG look fairly close, and that's probably an edge to Larkin as well as rookies in general tend to shoot less at the start of their career deferring to the vets before they really start to have confidence in their shot, so I'd guess that becomes a wash as well. If it were me I probably would pass on the deal as well, I'd bet you can snag a bigger fish if you packaged Larkin with some serviceable pieces to a contender. Last thought, you probably want to target a winger or a goalie anyways as you look like you have Sid and Kopi set as keeper centers anyways.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I really like Larkin, but Couture is more or less what I expect him to become lol. His production is going to crater at some point this season. His %s are way too high across the board. "Crater" is a harsh word haha, he's going to slow down. I don't expect the PP units to change all that much for the next couple years, and because of that I think Larkin will be at 50-60pts.

Also, despite the line he plays on, Larkin is still being sheltered this season and he's not exactly driving possession like you would expect given his stats. So I don't think his production curve will be as linear as we're hoping for. When he gets more responsibility and tougher competition, I would expect the same kind of adjustment period as any other kid. Given this, I'm hoping for a "breakout" for 2017-18.

In the meantime, Couture will threaten 70pts like he always does (or at least at be at that pace). Good player to cash in on for Larkin imo.
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Nikerato View Post
    I really like Larkin, but Couture is more or less what I expect him to become lol. His production is going to crater at some point this season. His %s are way too high across the board. "Crater" is a harsh word haha, he's going to slow down. I don't expect the PP units to change all that much for the next couple years, and because of that I think Larkin will be at 50-60pts.

Also, despite the line he plays on, Larkin is still being sheltered this season and he's not exactly driving possession like you would expect given his stats. So I don't think his production curve will be as linear as we're hoping for. When he gets more responsibility and tougher competition, I would expect the same kind of adjustment period as any other kid. Given this, I'm hoping for a "breakout" for 2017-18.

In the meantime, Couture will threaten 70pts like he always does (or at least at be at that pace). Good player to cash in on for Larkin imo.
    I love all these in-depth answers, but this one had something in it I was thinking about.

-I was browsing Larkin's player profile page and he's definitely due for a... correction.
    -His most common linemates include Datsyuk and Zetts. Does anyone know how much longer those guys are playing for? What happens when it's not them? Maybe that's insane to even start thinking about, but like you said, tougher competition is coming.
    -At the same time, this kid looks like he's a smart hockey player. And only 1 of his 18 points have come on the power play. Whoa.

Is the Larkin vs. Couture debate just a case of "What have you done for me lately?"?
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Stud

As a Sharks fan who has Larkin in my pool, I would be iffy on this trade myself. Larkin should slow down. Hell, he should have slowed down already. But he is a hard worker and impresses the hell out of me.

With your categories, Couture's advantage is going to be PPP.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
    As a Sharks fan who has Larkin in my pool, I would be iffy on this trade myself. Larkin should slow down. Hell, he should have slowed down already. But he is a hard worker and impresses the hell out of me.

With your categories, Couture's advantage is going to be PPP.
    Now you've got me thinking I should either hold on to him for next year or aim higher lol

What a mess
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by gfhyde View Post
    -His most common linemates include Datsyuk and Zetts. Does anyone know how much longer those guys are playing for? What happens when it's not them? Maybe that's insane to even start thinking about, but like you said, tougher competition is coming.
    I think that might be over-thinking things... Larkin, Nyquist, Tatar (along with guys like Pulkkinen, Mantha, etc) are the future in Detroit. They'll be the guys driving the play and creating their own opportunities. They'll be the new Datsyuk and Zetterberg.
    16 Team Keeper League. Head-to-Head. Daily moves. Keep 10. Roster 20. Keepers in Bold
    Positions: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2F, 5D, 1Skt, 2G, 4 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, PPP, PIM, SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW Goalies: W, GAA, SV%

C: MacKinnon, Couturier, Eriksson Ek, McCann (LW), Cizikas, Carrick
    LW: Kaprizov, J.T. Miller (C), J. Robertson, Colton (C)
    RW: Perron (LW), T. Moore
    D: Carlson, Ekblad, Letang, Dumba, Lindell, Siegenthaler
    G: Hellebuyck, Vejmelka

Prospects: Turcotte, Raty, Holtz, N. Robertson, M. Bourque, Lundkvist, Soderstrom, Sandin, Addison

Dobber Sports Monster

Larkin's ceiling I think is higher than Couture's. I would keep Larkin.