Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Benn for Karlsson and Ehlers?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Benn for Karlsson and Ehlers?

I have just been offered EK and Ehlers for Jamie Benn. I'm leaning towards no, but I love to get a gauge of where you all see the value in a trade like this.

If any of you have been keeping score, I've been trying to land Karlsson since...well forever. I've been close in the past, but cold feet on his owners end has kept him from my squad.

I have zero interest in moving Benn, but as a habitual wheel and dealer, I'm always open to winning a trade.

I've thought about countering with a Karlsson + Tyler Johnson for Benn and a scrub, but that may be a little too greedy.

Would you consider the original offer or should I just go ahead and lock Benn into the "Untouchable Category" and move along?

EDIT** New Offer is Benn for Tyler Johnson and Karlsson. Pretty juicy offer, am I right>?
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Benn for Karlsson and Ehlers?

Keep Benn, no need to change anything.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't think it's a bad offer for Benn. Hard to turn that one down if I am being honest, especially in a keeper.

When it comes to fantasy hockey, I don't consider anyone untouchable and everyone has a price. Some guys you just have to pay more for and Benn would definitely be one. Then again, so would Karlsson. Anytime you are getting you love to get and moving someone you hate to lose, you know it must be a good trade.

I am a big Ehlers fan and think he is legit but I am not sure he'd be quite enough to move Benn. I like your idea of Benn and someone like Colin Miller (for example) for Karlsson and a better, more proven piece for Benn.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I don't think it's a bad offer for Benn. Hard to turn that one down if I am being honest, especially in a keeper.

When it comes to fantasy hockey, I don't consider anyone untouchable and everyone has a price. Some guys you just have to pay more for and Benn would definitely be one. Then again, so would Karlsson. Anytime you are getting you love to get and moving someone you hate to lose, you know it must be a good trade.

I am a big Ehlers fan and think he is legit but I am not sure he'd be quite enough to move Benn. I like your idea of Benn and someone like Colin Miller (for example) for Karlsson and a better, more proven piece for Benn.
    That's always been my motto too. Everyone has a price. I've dealt away guys like Stamkos and Malkin because the package was big enough.

I really believe in Ehlers too, in fact I traded him to his current owner last summer when it didn't look like I could keep him (We only had 15 keepers then). I'm in a win-now situation, so its a little less tempting because Ehlers will likely only be a 40-50 point guy this year.

His other 'valuable' assets are T. Johnson, Marner, Stastny, and Mrazek.
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm probably taking the Karlsson side here in a points only, but I can't fault an argument in either direction. If you could squeeze Marner out of him instead of Ehlers, I like that even better. You could as for TJ but I'm pretty sure what would get shot down quickly. Mrazek is a maybe, but you dont' need goalie help and I wouldn't do it with Stastny.

Dobber Sports Deity

I doubt he would move TJohnson but Stastny could be a nice consolation prize.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I doubt he would move TJohnson but Stastny could be a nice consolation prize.
    "Never negotiate against yourself."

He's approaching you for Benn. If the package he's sending doesn't excite you enough to move him, then say that he's got to do better (by including T. Johnson here) and let him sweat it out. If you're not desperate to make a move and he's fishing for your elite talent, then you're well within your rights to ask for the moon.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by shifty eyes View Post
    "Never negotiate against yourself."

He's approaching you for Benn. If the package he's sending doesn't excite you enough to move him, then say that he's got to do better (by including T. Johnson here) and let him sweat it out. If you're not desperate to make a move and he's fishing for your elite talent, then you're well within your rights to ask for the moon.
    Good call. I have been fishing for Karlsson forever and he's shot down my offers and has now come back saying that either Kane or Benn need to come in order to get EK+

I've told him that I'm intrigued by his offer but its not enough. I'll let him come back with more if he's so inclined.

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Novice

I think you should take this. I think heavy point producer forwards always emerge more easely. Look at players like panarin, tyler johnson and..Benn! Karlsson is one of a kind, with klingberg maybe.. I would go for the D-man. Plus you are kind of deep in forwards, so it's okay to let one star go. Elhers is just a nice bonus gamble that could pay. Still, If you think you can get more, go for it!
    Points only keeper League, 12 teams, dress 12F - 6D - 2G, keep any 12.
    F: G=1, P=1/D:G=3,P=1/G:W=2+3 for SO
    F: Seguin, Tavares, Scheifele, Hall, Atkinson, Schenn, Bennett, Spezza, Granlund, Kadri, E.Staal, Spooner
    D: Burns, Hamilton, Barrie, Faulk, Suter, Leddy, DeAngelo
    G: Talbot, Dubnyk

Dobber Sports Genius

What do your starting positions look like? typically with set spots for D a guy like Karlsson becomes even more valuable, especially if its like a 8F-6D split. If its more like a 14F-4D split than I'd be leaning more to Benn
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by MATT HOLVIK View Post
    I think you should take this. I think heavy point producer forwards always emerge more easely. Look at players like panarin, tyler johnson and..Benn! Karlsson is one of a kind, with klingberg maybe.. I would go for the D-man. Plus you are kind of deep in forwards, so it's okay to let one star go. Elhers is just a nice bonus gamble that could pay. Still, If you think you can get more, go for it!
    I don't think you can compare Jamie Benn to players like Panarin or Johnson. Benn is quickly becoming a generational type player, and could very likely put up 100+ points this season. With Sequin by his side, those numbers may continue for years to come.

Yes, Karlsson is a superstar in his own right, but as a Benn owner, I'm not trading him unless I'm offered one hell of a mind-blowing offer.

So yeah, I'd decline, and pretty easily.
    12 Team Keep 7 H2H
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, SOG, W,L, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Stamkos, Thornton, T. Johnson, Monahan, Hanzal
    RW: Seguin, Voracek, Neal, Little, Abdelkader
    LW: Benn, Lucic, Huberdeau, E. Staal, JVR
    D: Burns, Faulk, Carlson, Phaneuf, Dumba
    G: Bishop, Quick, Anderson

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I'm probably taking the Karlsson side here in a points only, but I can't fault an argument in either direction. If you could squeeze Marner out of him instead of Ehlers, I like that even better. You could as for TJ but I'm pretty sure what would get shot down quickly. Mrazek is a maybe, but you dont' need goalie help and I wouldn't do it with Stastny.
    Why don't you like Stastny?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    What do your starting positions look like? typically with set spots for D a guy like Karlsson becomes even more valuable, especially if its like a 8F-6D split. If its more like a 14F-4D split than I'd be leaning more to Benn
    We start 8 forwards and 4 defensemen each week. I moved Shattenkirk in the package to get Benn and since Giordano has decided to be unplayable and Letang underwhelming all owners and Pens fans, my D has become the obvious weak point on my squad.

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier LaFlamme View Post
    I don't think you can compare Jamie Benn to players like Panarin or Johnson. Benn is quickly becoming a generational type player, and could very likely put up 100+ points this season. With Sequin by his side, those numbers may continue for years to come.

Yes, Karlsson is a superstar in his own right, but as a Benn owner, I'm not trading him unless I'm offered one hell of a mind-blowing offer.

So yeah, I'd decline, and pretty easily.
    Thanks for the input. Hard to imagine that Benn can keep up his current pace of 125, but you're absolutely right that 100-point seasons look like they are within his reach. At age 26, and with that Dallas offense, it could be happening for a few seasons too.

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Why don't you like Stastny?
    A couple of reasons.

- He usually ends up hurt at some point (16 games already this year, although I'll admit historically he misses about half as many games as I initially thought).
    - He's primarily a points guy, doesn't greatly fill the peripheral stats, which isn't always important (it is in my leagues).
    - He's settled in as a 50-60 point guy at this point I think and is on the decline of his career, so not a lot of upside left. The only year in recent memory where he managed 60 points he had his second highest shooting percentage and his SOG have steady declined since 2012, so I don't think he will ever give you much more than 60 at this point.
    - Finally, some built-in bias; he's burned me in one year leagues in the past so I harbor a slight grudge.

In the right situation I'd take him, but he's not a guy I'm all that interested in a keeper league at this point. I would want more upside for the extra throw in in this case. I'd rather take Ehlers in the original offer over him.