Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Benn for Karlsson and Ehlers?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Benn for Karlsson and Ehlers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    A couple of reasons.

- He usually ends up hurt at some point (16 games already this year, although I'll admit historically he misses about half as many games as I initially thought).
    - He's primarily a points guy, doesn't greatly fill the peripheral stats, which isn't always important (it is in my leagues).
    - He's settled in as a 50-60 point guy at this point I think and is on the decline of his career, so not a lot of upside left. The only year in recent memory where he managed 60 points he had his second highest shooting percentage and his SOG have steady declined since 2012, so I don't think he will ever give you much more than 60 at this point.
    - Finally, some built-in bias; he's burned me in one year leagues in the past so I harbor a slight grudge.

In the right situation I'd take him, but he's not a guy I'm all that interested in a keeper league at this point. I would want more upside for the extra throw in in this case. I'd rather take Ehlers in the original offer over him.
    Fair enough. Just curious is all.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

I'd do this personally. There are a lot of scorers at forward this year but Karlsson is the king of D and is producing as much as most forwards. Ehlers is just icing on the cake. Calling Benn generational is wrong, it would be Karlsson who is generational.

And I've traded karlsson away before so I wouldn't keep him at all costs 100% if I was offered something

Benn is legit obviously, and I had him this year before dealing him, but I'd get Karlsson 100% over him

Dobber Sports Ninja

That's a tough one man...

I really like Benn's situation for the next 3-5 years (not that I don't like EK's situation), unless the + is attractive I'd be inclined to stay put.

Try EK + T. Johnson and see if he bites.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I'd do this personally. There are a lot of scorers at forward this year but Karlsson is the king of D and is producing as much as most forwards. Ehlers is just icing on the cake. Calling Benn generational is wrong, it would be Karlsson who is generational.

And I've traded karlsson away before so I wouldn't keep him at all costs 100% if I was offered something

Benn is legit obviously, and I had him this year before dealing him, but I'd get Karlsson 100% over him
    I completely disagree. Using the same train of thought, there are a lot of great scorers on D this year as well. Yes, Karlsson is elite, but you could trade lesser talent and still obtain a decent offensive D-man. By moving Benn, you're losing the BEST player in his leagues scoring. Do the math & look at the point comparison so far between the two.

Yes, it would be great to own Karlsson, but not at the expense of Benn. That would be a downgrade. 100%.
    12 Team Keep 7 H2H
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, SOG, W,L, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Stamkos, Thornton, T. Johnson, Monahan, Hanzal
    RW: Seguin, Voracek, Neal, Little, Abdelkader
    LW: Benn, Lucic, Huberdeau, E. Staal, JVR
    D: Burns, Faulk, Carlson, Phaneuf, Dumba
    G: Bishop, Quick, Anderson

Dobber Sports Stud

He's come back with EK, Ehlers and a 2nd round pick for Benn and Colin Miller (He'd likely be my drop as I can't force myself to give up on Gio just yet) and feels thats as deep as his pockets can go.

It's a tickler of an offer, thats for sure. All of these comments and opinions are greatly appreciated but sadly they've only left me as conflicted as before.

My gut originally said no, so I may just have to stick with that notion.

...or just flip the magic coin.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

I'm just one opinion, but from one fellow Benn owner to another, I think trading him for this offer is a bad move.
    Just look at the numbers. Karlsson & Ehlers, with your leagues scoring, are still worth less than Benn's numbers alone.

The way I see it, if you're going to trade the most valuable player in the league, make sure you make your opponent miserable about what they have to give up to obtain them.

All in all, I'd look to move a "lesser" player in a deal, if you're still in need for a D-man.

Good luck!
    12 Team Keep 7 H2H

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier LaFlamme View Post
    I'm just one opinion, but from one fellow Benn owner to another, I think trading him for this offer is a bad move.
    Just look at the numbers. Karlsson & Ehlers, with your leagues scoring, are still worth less than Benn's numbers alone.

The way I see it, if you're going to trade the most valuable player in the league, make sure you make your opponent miserable about what they have to give up to obtain them.

All in all, I'd look to move a "lesser" player in a deal, if you're still in need for a D-man.

Good luck!
    Definitely a great point. At this stage, I don't think its a big enough package for me to move Benn. I'm working another deal that sends Kopitar away for Burns. Not as flashy, but I don't lose arguably the league's most valuable forward.
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Have you looked at the stats Burns is putting up this year? He is giving OV a run for his money on shots on goal. Crushing it in all categories. If you could get him for Kopitar you have made off like an absolute bandit. Under Sutter Kopitar will be lucky to hit 60 points this year. Burns might actually outpoint Kopitar at the end of the year. Your league is not as favorable to D as mine but Burns would still be a great addition.

I am debating a Koptiar for Suter offer just to give you an idea of my distrust of Kopitar. Great player with the wrong coach.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier LaFlamme View Post
    I completely disagree. Using the same train of thought, there are a lot of great scorers on D this year as well. Yes, Karlsson is elite, but you could trade lesser talent and still obtain a decent offensive D-man. By moving Benn, you're losing the BEST player in his leagues scoring. Do the math & look at the point comparison so far between the two.

Yes, it would be great to own Karlsson, but not at the expense of Benn. That would be a downgrade. 100%.
    You'd be losing the best player at the moment, but what they've already done doesn't really matter. That's like saying you wouldn't trade Benn for Ovechkin right now. We know Karlsson will continue to score at a fantastic rate, and so will Benn, but Benn has already overachieved stats-wise so we know he's coming down the rest of the way. There are very few players I would trade Karlsson for. If he's producing at a 82-90 point rate as a D-man, that is like a 120 point forward. Comparing his points to Benn is not relevant, we know Benn should and will score more points.

Other than Klingberg, who will also regress, there is nobody who comes close to Karlsson on D. Nobody. It wouldn't be a downgrade because he's just as valuable as Benn. It would be a sideways move pretty much depending on your other D and LW.

Dobber Sports Stud

I love the discussions boys. Mildly off-topic for this thread but instead of opening up another. I just received another offer for Benn. This one is Kuznetsov and Larkin straight up for the Art Ross winner.

Very interesting... but again, probably not enough. Thoughts?

Keep on, keepin' on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola View Post
    I love the discussions boys. Mildly off-topic for this thread but instead of opening up another. I just received another offer for Benn. This one is Kuznetsov and Larkin straight up for the Art Ross winner.

naw wouldn't even consider that one. A 60 point and 50 point forward is not enough iMO

Administrator

Keep the superstar.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Definitely a step down from the Karlsson offer. No thanks to this one.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Keep the superstar.
    Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#333333
    naw wouldn't even consider that one. A 60 point and 50 point forward is not enough iMO[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#333333
    Definitely a step down from the Karlsson offer. No thanks to this one.[/COLOR]
    My thoughts exactly. Thanks fellas!

Keep on, keepin' on.

We know Karlsson will continue to score at a fantastic rate, and so will Benn, but Benn has already overachieved stats-wise so we know he's coming down the rest of the way.
    What makes you think Benn will "regress" but Karlsson won't?

Other than Klingberg, who will also regress, there is nobody who comes close to Karlsson on D. Nobody.
    Not true at all. There are plenty of other D-men in the league that come close to Karlsson's numbers. Last year, Burns, Subban, Wideman, Josi, & Carlson all came within 10 points. The exact same amount of forwards came within 10 points of Benn as well.

You could argue that they are just as valuable for their position, however, in the OP's league, here are the numbers.

Current point totals:
    Benn - 138
    Karlsson - 96

Last years totals:
    Benn - 300
    Karlsson - 235

Point being, I don't want to debate against Karlsson's value. He's an elite superstar. However, when dealing a player like Benn (and Karlsson for that matter), I think the opposing team should always have to overpay, especially in a dynasty. This is why I suggested he deal for a bit of a "lesser" name on D, and dangle a player like Kopitar.

Just my opinion. Good talking hockey with ya, man!
    12 Team Keep 7 H2H