Thread: Sorting out squad in wake of Price, Palat

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Sorting out squad in wake of Price, Palat

Palat currently in my IR slot. Would you hold on to Palat or drop him for a goalie place holder for Price at this point. Then I could IR Price and still be running a full squad as I picked up Draisaitl when I put Palat to IR a couple weeks ago.

Part of the question is whether or not I'll want to hold on to Palat when he returns. He had a really slow start, he could or could not turn it around when he returns.
    When he comes off IR I'd have to choose between dropping one of Palat, Draisaitl, Lucic, O'Reilly, Kucherov or maybe Brassard. Palat, Draisaitl or Lucic seem like the more likely options to me. Lucic seems to be playing so-so now with Carter and Toffoli. And of course Draisaitl had been crazy hot but who knows what to expect going forward.

Goalies available are Condon, Mrazek, Ward, Neuwirth/Mason. Not great. Rolling with Condon could make sense though since it's to be a place holder for Price.. Howard is my other goalie, so I'm pretty desperate for wins.

Question is I guess, would you drop Palat for Condon and live with losing Palat with the squad as it stands, or would you hold on to him and wait until he (Palat) comes off IR, so that I could drop someone else, or alternatively just wait it out until Price returns. -- I know things are a bit murky with how long Price will actually be out right now, but it'd be good to have some insight.

I only have 4 acquisitions left on the year, so has to be played right. No further IR, no trades with opponents, no bench. Can't involve a defenseman.

I know that's complicated. Insight is much appreciated. -- Cheers
    F: McDavid, Kucherov, Eichel, Gaudreau, M Tkachuk, E Lindholm, Rob Thomas, Hischier
    D: S Jones, Werenski, DeAngelo, Hamilton
    G: Husso, Raanta

*** ONE YEAR - POINTS ONLY *** skaters: 1pt/G, 1pt/A. goalies: 2pt/win, 2pt/SO *** 12 teams
    MUST HAVE -- 8F, 4D, 2G --- (******Can only swap at same position, F, D, G ********)
    10 ACQUISITIONS TOTAL ON THE YEAR (**I've used NINE of them - ONE LEFT**) *** NO BENCH - NO IR - NO TRADES BETWEEN MEMBERS ***

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Sorting out squad in wake of Price, Palat

In a points-only format I dont see Palat as a high-grade asset. Occam's Razor applies here. The simplest solution is to release Palat and add Condon. That way you are covered for the rest of the year if this Price injury silliness drags on ad nauseum. If you really like Palat you could lose Lucic, he's no points-only superstar either.

Administrator

Palat is easily droppable in a points-only league especially given your circumstances.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Initiate

Super appreciate the input guys. Thanks so much. Good to know your feelings towards Palat. (Also googled Occam's Razor.. makes sense here for sure)

Just on one thing you said Glatt, we can only keep someone on our IR slot so long as they continue to be listed IR. So if Price comes back soonish and is off IR, I'd have to dump Condon again to activate him, so the 'keeping him the whole year' idea only works if he's out extra long. That may or may not be what you meant. I think I'll probably hang on another day or couple days and see what they envision for Price's return and then if it's anything longer than a couple weeks, go ahead and drop Palat for Condon.
    F: McDavid, Kucherov, Eichel, Gaudreau, M Tkachuk, E Lindholm, Rob Thomas, Hischier
    D: S Jones, Werenski, DeAngelo, Hamilton
    G: Husso, Raanta

*** ONE YEAR - POINTS ONLY *** skaters: 1pt/G, 1pt/A. goalies: 2pt/win, 2pt/SO *** 12 teams
    MUST HAVE -- 8F, 4D, 2G --- (******Can only swap at same position, F, D, G ********)
    10 ACQUISITIONS TOTAL ON THE YEAR (**I've used NINE of them - ONE LEFT**) *** NO BENCH - NO IR - NO TRADES BETWEEN MEMBERS ***

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont like dropping Palat but considering your situation, I can see a reason why you would. Palat is still a couple weeks from returning.

Pick up Condon.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."