Thread: Barrie vs Vatanen

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Barrie vs Vatanen

G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, +/-, SOG

Who do you think is the better keep, long term? I have them both in a dynasty, salary cap league, and with new contracts needing to be signed by a number of my players in the off-season, I won't be able to afford both of these guys. They both hold considerable value on their current contracts, so I am thinking about exploring options to see what I could net in return for one of them right now.

I already have MacKinnon on my team, which is one factor that is leading me to think that I will be less affected by trading Barrie. However, Barrie is also more secure in his D1/PP1 role than Vatanen is in his PP1 (to go with his D2ish ES role).

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Barrie vs Vatanen

This is a tough one.. I own Vatanen in my keep league, but I think I would take Barrie here..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Veteran

Very close. I think both have very similar upside.

Gun to my head, Vatanen, just because Anaheim usually gets a very favorable schedule. But I don't think you go wrong with either.

Dobber Sports Ace

I know, it is close! I might just have to dangle them both and see who nets the better return.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    I know, it is close! I might just have to dangle them both and see who nets the better return.
    This is the best option. I feel like you'll get better offers for Barrie, he seems to have more perceived value in most leagues in my opinion.

Dobber Sports Monster

Very close but I would go with the more proven player in Barrie

The Great One

I'd always dangle both but my gut feeling is that Barrie will get a bigger deal than Vatanen and if that is the case does it swing it Vatanen's way?

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd keep Barrie and put Vatanen on the block. You shouldn't have any issues trading him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Have you considered riding out the year with them, and moving one in the off-season when their new cap hits are known? I just have this feeling Barrie will get more $ than Vatanen. Not sure I understand why it is imperative to move them this early?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Have you considered riding out the year with them, and moving one in the off-season when their new cap hits are known? I just have this feeling Barrie will get more $ than Vatanen. Not sure I understand why it is imperative to move them this early?
    Yup, this too. It isn't imperative to move them, but I picked up Gostisbehere when he was called up, and now have those three guys, plus Klingberg, Buff, Burns, and sitting on Pouliot. I figure that if I can get a forward who will out produce one of these two guys the rest of the way, then I can deal from a position of strength. Maybe if I can get a Kuznetsov or Forsberg type of guy, their salaries are close enough that the money will work for both managers and I could be in a stronger position this year?!

Ideally, I'm trying to move Pouliot, but he's a tough sell right now, and guys aren't yet ready to concede that they have given up on this season.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would keep Barrie. His spot in the lineup is secure.... Who's gonna take his PP time away? Johnson is the only person resembling a threat, but its minor. Vatanen on the other hand has two legit options behind him in Fowler and Lindholm. There's also the injury worry.... Vatanen missed considerable time last year, and he's a 5'9" defender.... How long until he gets crushed and misses time again?

Barrie will sign a bigger contract this summer, maybe significantly bigger. But I think it will be worth it to hold onto him.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Vatanen will also have to contend with Montour and Theodore at some point.

Barrie has more upside imo too so this is an easy call.

Try and trade Vatanen closer to your deadline, or in the offseason before you have to sign your players. He's going to produce enough this season to make him an enticing trade target for anyone. Right now I'm not sure if everyone sees that yet.
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Ace

Alright, thanks, everyone! Sounds like the consensus is that Barrie > Vatanen, and that I should hold on tight and wait (unless I can pry loose a valuable ELC piece, maybe like a Larkin, who I can comfortable afford next year; I will probably have better luck doing something like that sooner rather than at the end of the year).

I guess it makes sense to keep both and see. Who knows what contract Vatanen will get, and as much as I'd love to keep Barrie, if he's making $6.5 million and Vatanen is making $4 million next year, then my decision to trade Vatanen now might mean that I don't have either guy come next season.