Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on the legalization of marijuana

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Your thoughts on the legalization of marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Yeah if it's priced well I think it would put a big dent in the black market
    It would completely eliminate the black market for pot. Why do you think the Hell's Angels are against it. Making it legal takes a huge chuck of their income. People may argue that their income needs to come from something else illegal and that something else will increase.

Dobber Sports Titan

It would take a huge chunk out of the Black Market in Canada’s distribution. There would still be illegal selling of it in Canada I think. But it wouldn’t be the size it is now. It would be just like how highschoolers get alcohol now, but in a larger amount (not massive tho). Kid in grade 10 has an older brother who’s old enough to buy weed legally. He sells it to his younger brother, the younger brother sells it to his friends in high school. That’s about it when dealing with Canadians.

From the USA view, they don’t want Canada becoming 100% legal before them because it’ll make borders much tighter and it’ll be a big issue when smuggling. I can see it being legal for a person to be able to grow 1 plant, a dealer in the states has like 10 people in Canada growing legally 1 plant (maybe growing a couple of plants illegally tho), then smuggling it over the border somehow.

It’ll make a lot of money for the country if they do it. Even create a lot of legal jobs. If they put in place where they are going to try and reform former drug dealers/growers to become legal dealers from a business it could even be a great way to get former prisoners a nice way to live. If it’s anything like the LCBO/Beer store, the workers make good money. So take a reformed prisoner and let them have 1st dibs on a job behind a counter making good money and making something of himself.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    How? In Canada, why would you ever buy from a shady dealer when you can go to Mac's or 7-Eleven? And why would crime organizations/black market sellers continue to sell it? As it is, it's one of the least profitable illicit substances to sell. Add in expanded market availability and competition, and it just won't be worth the risk. Hell, it's barely worth the risk for them right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Why would there be a need for a black market if it's legal? Do you see a black market for cigarettes or alcohol lol
    Yeah if it's priced well I think it would put a big dent in the black market
    Decriminalization or legalization does not deal with removing the organized crime aspect of it directly. By legalizing marijuna, we are just making it legal to smoke it, but there is nothing done to crack down further on the illegal distribution of it. If it's cheaper to get it from a pusher, people will still buy it buy it from them (chemicals or not). And if it's legal to smoke it, organized crime will be able to sell it with more ease. Basically, decriminalization or legalization is good business for organized crime.

EDIT (added on):
    I doubt making it legal will greatly increase the number of smokers (it will but I do not think it will be substantial). With that in mind, do you really think the current method of getting weed from all the smokers out there will drastically change (pushers, friends of friends... all linked back to the mob)? I think everything has to do with the price and ease of getting the substance.

The example of alcohol was brought up; if you could get illegal booze that tasted and looked exactly like that of the SAQ, LCBO or other stores, but at a fraction of the price, would you do it? Maybe, maybe not, right... but that would be linked to the fact that you are accustomed to the ''real thing'' already so why get an illegal form of it... With marijuna, the known thing IS the illegal format of it! If that version is cheaper than another version of it, why would you go for the new more expensive thing if you are already OK buying the illegal thing?!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Decriminalization or legalization does not deal with removing the organized crime aspect of it directly. By legalizing marijuna, we are just making it legal to smoke it, but there is nothing done to crack down further on the illegal distribution of it. If it's cheaper to get it from a pusher, people will still buy it buy it from them (chemicals or not). And if it's legal to smoke it, organized crime will be able to sell it with more ease. Basically, decriminalization or legalization is good business for organized crime.
    See, you're taking it from the angle that organized crime will choose to continue to sell it. The won't. As stated you don't see organized crime selling alcohol or cigarettes. Like I said. It's barely profitable for dealers to sell it now, when they were the only option. Even if some people still buy from a dealer because it's cheaper, I would say at least 50% or more won't. If you cut your potential market by 50% on a barely profitable sales good, organized crime is going to drop out of the market because it's not worth the time/effort/hassle. Not to mention the general consumer is more inclined to buy the better product. So if organized crime has an inferior product (because of chemicals and such), they will die out of the market anyways.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I have strong Libertarian leanings. I think pot should be legal and am glad that we are very close to seeing that happen. I believe that Trudeau is going to legalize it within the next 18 months. I have consistently argued with friends that the #1 impediment to legalization in Canada was our border with the USA and what it could do to the cross-border traffic, I think the pockets of legalization in the USA have allowed Canada to consider outright legalization.

Anyways, I do think legalization is a good bit more complex than most people realize, and I think there will be a number of stumbles along the way as the following questions get answered:
    1. Who can grow pot?
    2. Who can sell pot?
    3. Where can you sell pot? (proximity to schools likely a no-go).
    4. Which jurisdiction (provincial or federal) will control regulation? What regulations, if any, can the other jurisdiction put on top?
    5. Will pot be tested for quality, strength, carcinogenics etc.?
    6. Vaping and pot.
    7. Regulations regarding smoking in public or around children.

Personally I would let anyone over the age of 18 grow or buy pot and require minimum license to sell it (basic training on checking IDs, similar to alcohol) and make it a crime to provide it or sell it to anyone under-18 (kids are stupid and need the state’s protection). Also, I’d allow anyone to smoke wherever smoking is allowed and let private property owners decide for themselves where it can/can’t be smoked.
    In reality I think we’re going to see a complex set of regulations, similar and likely more extensive than those currently applying to alcohol. I suspect personal growing will not be allowed initially, and black market sales will remain illegal, likely justified as “protecting the public from untested product” but in all reality ensuring the government gets its 30% (estimate) tax. Also, I can see a fight between the feds and the provinces concerning the regulation, distribution and (most importantly) tax revenue. The LCBO union boss has already called for a monopoly on selling pot in Ontario for reasons that make sense only to a union boss.

Finally, I’m super interested to see how this industry, which was previously completely underground goes legit. Seems to me we could have a ton of stoners teaming up with investors in a race to be first to market. Will there be “craft pot” which is more expensive but better? Super interested by the possibilities.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Giant

See, you're taking it from the angle that organized crime will choose to continue to sell it. The won't. As stated you don't see organized crime selling alcohol or cigarettes. Like I said. It's barely profitable for dealers to sell it now, when they were the only option. Even if some people still buy from a dealer because it's cheaper, I would say at least 50% or more won't. If you cut your potential market by 50% on a barely profitable sales good, organized crime is going to drop out of the market because it's not worth the time/effort/hassle. Not to mention the general consumer is more inclined to buy the better product. So if organized crime has an inferior product (because of chemicals and such), they will die out of the market anyways.
    I don't fully disagree with you as I can't speak for the mob but where there's an opportunity to make money, they will be present!
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Star

It's barely profitable for dealers to sell it now, when they were the only option.
    This definitely isn't true in all cases. I know people who have made a ****ton of money off the stuff. The guy selling joints at the playground might not make too much, but the guy transporting hundreds of pounds from BC, or the guy selling pillowcase sized bags out of his house sure do.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    This definitely isn't true in all cases. I know people who have made a ****ton of money off the stuff. The guy selling joints at the playground might not make too much, but the guy transporting hundreds of pounds from BC, or the guy selling pillowcase sized bags out of his house sure do.
    +1 to this! That and the guy selling the pillowcase sized bags is far from the top of the food chain as well!

Minors:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

+1 to this! That and the guy selling the pillowcase sized bags is far from the top of the food chain as well!
    Well. True. I guess I needed to clarify my statement. As a general rule, the "bottom of the food chain" where the average user/consumer would buy from barely makes a profit. Higher up the food chain, there are better profits to be made. But if you remove the bottom of the food chain, the higher up guys general aren't interested in moving small quantities, they are looking for bigger sales for distributors to then sell. Also if you get rid of the distributors, it's much easier to find the "source", since everybody is going to the same people.

At the end of the day, you're increasing risk of getting caught, decreasing market share, and decreasing profit margins. I think you'll drive out the "black market" fairly quickly. There was a black market for alcohol during prohibition, but that didn't last for very long once it ended.

Dobber Sports Star

Well. True. I guess I needed to clarify my statement. As a general rule, the "bottom of the food chain" where the average user/consumer would buy from barely makes a profit. Higher up the food chain, there are better profits to be made. But if you remove the bottom of the food chain, the higher up guys general aren't interested in moving small quantities, they are looking for bigger sales for distributors to then sell. Also if you get rid of the distributors, it's much easier to find the "source", since everybody is going to the same people.

At the end of the day, you're increasing risk of getting caught, decreasing market share, and decreasing profit margins. I think you'll drive out the "black market" fairly quickly. There was a black market for alcohol during prohibition, but that didn't last for very long once it ended.
    I agree that legalizing it would definitely cut one of the legs out from under these guys, but it would probably still continue. They will develop more potent varieties, or something else to compete with the legal market. That doesn't happen with alcohol because you can already buy insanely strong stuff in all flavors and colors. If alcohol were only legal up to 12% or something, there would probably be a black market for the good stuff.

Dobber Sports Ninja

EDIT (added on):
    I doubt making it legal will greatly increase the number of smokers (it will but I do not think it will be substantial). With that in mind, do you really think the current method of getting weed from all the smokers out there will drastically change (pushers, friends of friends... all linked back to the mob)? I think everything has to do with the price and ease of getting the substance.

The example of alcohol was brought up; if you could get illegal booze that tasted and looked exactly like that of the SAQ, LCBO or other stores, but at a fraction of the price, would you do it? Maybe, maybe not, right... but that would be linked to the fact that you are accustomed to the ''real thing'' already so why get an illegal form of it... With marijuna, the known thing IS the illegal format of it! If that version is cheaper than another version of it, why would you go for the new more expensive thing if you are already OK buying the illegal thing?!
    I have no idea what you're talking about here...

If weed is legal, why would any rational consumer want to go through the hassle of dealing with shady characters, meeting people in alleys, putting themselves in danger, and buying a potentially crappy/laced/unregulated product, when they can go to a convenience store and buy the real thing at a reasonable price?

More importantly, why the hell would any criminals still want to sell it?!?! It's already a low-margin product in terms of profitability due to the abundant supply, legalization will kill the already thin profit margins for sure.

This is simple supply and demand for an already commoditized product.

Dobber Sports Star

I have no idea what you're talking about here...

If weed is legal, why would any rational consumer want to go through the hassle of dealing with shady characters, meeting people in alleys, putting themselves in danger, and buying a potentially crappy/laced/unregulated product, when they can go to a convenience store and buy the real thing at a reasonable price?
    Because that's only what you see on TV. I's not reality. Weed dealers in general are not sketchy, at least not to weed smokers. To a vanilla, mayonnaise on your wonder-bread type like yourself and perhaps the majority, maybe...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Because that's only what you see on TV. I's not reality. Weed dealers in general are not sketchy, at least not to weed smokers. To a vanilla, mayonnaise on your wonder-bread type like yourself and perhaps the majority, maybe...
    My username is "blayze"... and I also happen to be asian. Yeah... I've clearly never smoked or acquired weed in my life. I'm basing all of this on TV...

wtf is a "wonder-bread type" anyway?

Dobber Sports Monster

Do you guys think it helps with stress? I've had problems with stress and have been encouraged by weed smokers that I should take up the green stuff to help me relax. Good idea or no?

Dobber Sports Star

My username is "blayze"... and I also happen to be asian. Yeah... I've clearly never smoked or acquired weed in my life. I'm basing all of this on TV...

wtf is a "wonder-bread type" anyway?
    So in your experience, when buying weed an individual should expect to be: "dealing with shady characters, meeting people in alleys, putting themselves in danger"...

Really? Who the **** buys weed in an alley or is ever in any danger at all when buying weed? For everyone I've ever met a weed dealer is your friend, who more often than not swings by your house after work for a beer. If he doesn't, you swing by his and hang out for a while while he gets your stuff ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you guys think it helps with stress? I've had problems with stress and have been encouraged by weed smokers that I should take up the green stuff to help me relax. Good idea or no?
    Probably a 50% chance. It just makes me paranoid, so if I have anything on my plate that needs to be dealt with, weed makes it seem 200% worse and I will dwell on it constantly. For others, stress melts away.