Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on the legalization of marijuana

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Your thoughts on the legalization of marijuana

I'm not the most educated person in the world on marijuana but wondering what you all think.

Do you think its ok if marijuana is legalized?
    Is it really beneficial for the average person to smoke it?

Looks like it will be legalized in Canada. Back when I was in highschool I never thought there was a chance it could get legalized.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Your thoughts on the legalization of marijuana

Legal or not, people are using it in greater numbers than ever. The government figures if so many people are using it, then they might as well make some money off of it in the form of taxation. Then in 30 years time it will be forced to create a AA program for the marijuana users who can't kick the habit of the non-addictive drug, and spend the millions they made plus more on rehabilitation, MADD programs for those who smoke up and kill people, and employment insurance for the potheads who can't keep a job.

As a school teacher, I see too many kids hooked on drugs, worse than marijuana in some cases, and don't think the legalization of MJ is going to curb that and make things any better. The potential to make things worse certainly exists.

Just my two cents...

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Administrator

I couldn't be happier about this. So many potential benefits. Socio-economically, you'd be taking money from cartels importing these drugs and instead spreading that money to legitimate entrepreneurs as well as increasing tax revenue for the government, which gives them the chance to create more jobs or provide more services. Whether or not they follow through is another question.

As far as health goes, marijuana is way better for you than alcohol if used recreationally or for pain management.

The pain management part is a huge one. My grandma is on edibles for her arthritis. A small enough dose to manage the pain but not be incredibly psychoactive. Should she have to get hooked on prescription meds instead? No thanks. I love my grandma.

I don't know that it is necessarily beneficial for someone to consume marijuana in it's many forms. To each their own. But marijuana is a much safer recreational drug. As far as I know, people don't get high and go out and get in fights or commit domestic abuse because of how unhinged they've become.

To me this is about civil liberties and freedom to as an adult choose what you want to do with your body. I'd go so far as to say all drugs should be legal. When things are legal and you can control the products, it's much safer for individuals to use since they know what they are getting. Even drugs as serious as heroin. At least with legalization, the sale is out in the open, not swept under the rug. So it's much easier to get help for those who need it. It's also much easier to study some potential positive effects of these drugs. You can look at plenty of nations where they've decriminalized or legalized all drugs and they are having tremendously positive outcomes.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Novice

I think that no matter what you think of the drug itself, it is not worth the cost (both monetary and peoples lives) that it takes to continue prosecuting it.
    10 Team H2H - Points
    Roster: 4C, 3RW, 3LW, 5D, 2U, 3B, 3IR, 4G (Start 2)
    Skater Stats: G(3), A(2), PIM(0.5), PPP(2), SHP(3), GWG(2), SOG (0.1), HITS(0.1), BLKS(0.2)
    Goalie Stats: W(3), OTL (1), GA(-1), SV(0.2), SO(3)

C - Patrice Bergeron, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Bo Horvat, Mathew Barzal, Nathan MacKinnon, Jack Eichel
    RW - Mark Stone, Tler Toffoli, Brock Boeser, Dustin Brown (RW/LW).
    LW -Jonathan Huberdeau, Jake Guentzel, Teuvo Teravainen, Vladislav Namestnikov (LW/RW/C)
    D - Victor Hedman, Roman Josi, Colton Parayko, Mike Green, Nick Leddy, Rasmus Ristolainen.
    G - Carey Price, Scott Darling, Roberto Luongo.
    IR - Cam Talbot, Mika Zibanejad.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

As long as the gov't reaps the benefits, it's amazing for us all..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Veteran

I dont think its any worse for you than alcohol and that is legal. Legalizing it would help to control its potency and quality too, as well as all the other benefits mentioned. As it is now there are some pretty nasty practices in regards to the manufacturing processes so creating a proper structure around the industry would benefit users. Bring it on!

Dobber Sports Sage

Here is Seattle, where it's legal, all is well. All of the right-wing horror stories have yet to occur. Overall a fair and orderly transition period. It is now readily available if you live near the metro area and even in some cases if you do not. So far the main lesson is how foolish it was for it to be prohibited in the first place.

Dobber Sports Deity

I doubt I would ever smoke it, or try it (how ever you want to consume it) but if it's going to generate tax dollars for all those that want to use it, then I am all for it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I don't really care either way, to be honest...

The only argument against legalization that I've seen ... some research ages and ages ago that found pot was a springboard for harder drugs.

If they legalize pot, it wouldn't bother me if they also made really drastic penalties for selling dope to minors.

Dobber Sports Sage

Legalize it, tax it. Stop spending money fighting it. Done and done.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Legalize it, tax it. Stop spending money fighting it. Done and done.
    Yes. We all know its just a matter of time. Question. Do they use 'Pot' lights in grow op's?

Dobber Sports Monster

I wonder how 'Legal Pot' would taste compared to the regular stuff thats being sold. If it becomes legal I might try it. Probably will who am I kidding. I at one time said I would never drink alcohol ever ever, now I occasionally drink. I guess there are worse things a person can do than smoke 'POT' lol. I hear a lot of people say smoking tobacco is worse than smoking the green stuff.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I wonder how 'Legal Pot' would taste compared to the regular stuff thats being sold. If it becomes legal I might try it. Probably will who am I kidding. I at one time said I would never drink alcohol ever ever, now I occasionally drink. I guess there are worse things a person can do than smoke 'POT' lol. I hear a lot of people say smoking tobacco is worse than smoking the green stuff.
    I was talking to a friend of mine who smokes pot on a daily basis just yesterday about medical marijuana. He knows someone who has a prescription for it and my friend said that it is clean of chemicals and very good compared to the street pot.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I was talking to a friend of mine who smokes pot on a daily basis just yesterday about medical marijuana. He knows someone who has a prescription for it and my friend said that it is clean of chemicals and very good compared to the street pot.
    Yeah at least you would have peace of mind knowing it's not laced with cocaine or something as well... among other things

Dobber Sports Star

Pot is a gateway drug... Ya and if you jaywalk today, you will be committing murder tomorrow.

Alcohol is bad. It is directly responsible for tens of thousands of deaths every year. For whatever reason, the government has deemed alcohol a legal drug, and Maryjane an illegal one. There is no reason why pot should be illegal. I am happy that Canada seems to be a forward thinking nation, moving forward with the legalization of marijuana.

I am pleased with where Canada stands on most controversial issues. Canada has already rightly abolished the death penalty and legalized same sex marriage. After it finally legalizes marijuana, the one thing I would hope that Canada moves towards an assisted suicide law for the terminally ill; but that is for another thread.

Rylant