Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on the legalization of marijuana

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Your thoughts on the legalization of marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I'm not the most educated person in the world on marijuana but wondering what you all think.

Do you think its ok if marijuana is legalized?
    Is it really beneficial for the average person to smoke it?

Looks like it will be legalized in Canada. Back when I was in highschool I never thought there was a chance it could get legalized.
    To answer your questions:

Yes, I think it's totally OK if marijuana is legalized. It's totally ridiculous that it is illegal while alcohol is not. I love beer -- I'm drinking one right now, but weed is much less harmful than alcohol.

I can't say it's beneficial for the average person, but no more or no less than booze. Weed can enhance the enjoyment of a lot of things though -- music, movies, sex... and really, no one gets belligerently high on weed. I've gotten into arguments with my wife because we both consumed too much alcohol -- any time we have smoked weed, the biggest argument came about because somebody didn't share the chips!

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Ninja

blayze officially endorses the legalization of marijuana (shocking, I know).

In all seriousness, legalizing pot makes a lot of sense. Relative to the other drugs, weed is very tame. The associated risk of death, violence, or otherwise dangerous behavior is low. It is also one of the common and thus heaviest trafficked drugs due to its affordability, leading to all kinds of criminal behavior, turf wars, surrounding its possession and dsitribution. Legalizing it will significantly reduce crime and unnecessary violence.

Dobber Sports Monster

Anyone know what the 'high' feels like? Similar to alcohol? I am familiar with that ... lol

Haven't drank in a couple months though

Dobber Sports Master

Anyone know what the 'high' feels like? Similar to alcohol? I am familiar with that ... lol

But some pot and have a go. It's not like is a crazy drug or something.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The first few highs are special, you'll likely loose all concept of time (it slows way down) and you'll probably find the simplest of things very funny. You might also contemplate the meaning of all areas of life and society unlike ever before, analyzing how and why humans do what they do. After a number of times, it can become more routine and feel more familiar.

As far as being similar to alcohol, I would say not at all. Alcohol makes me more social where cannabis draws me inward.

I don't burn much anymore, but it was a very important part of my coming of age and fully support its legalization.
    Full Keeper: 10 Team (300 drafted), H2H, Daily, Y!
    Roster: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 10Reserve, 1IR
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
              W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backes, Toews, Couture, Scheifele, Horvat, Fabbri
    LW: Landeskog, Galchenyuk, Lucic, Palat
    RW: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Carter, Coyle, Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Klingberg, Josi, Shattenkirk, Ekman-Larsson, Phaneuf, Nurse, Ceci
    G: Holtby, Allen, Lack, Greiss, Enroth, Kuemper

2015 League Champion
    2016 League Champion

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Wrist_Shot View Post
    The first few highs are special, you'll likely loose all concept of time (it slows way down) and you'll probably find the simplest of things very funny. You might also contemplate the meaning of all areas of life and society unlike ever before, analyzing how and why humans do what they do. After a number of times, it can become more routine and feel more familiar.

As far as being similar to alcohol, I would say not at all. Alcohol makes me more social where cannabis draws me inward.

I don't burn much anymore, but it was a very important part of my coming of age and fully support its legalization.
    Alcohol does that to me too, I'm normally a really shy person but put some drinks in me and I'm a new man. I start joking around more as well. But that is interesting about marijuana high....thanks for the input

Dobber Sports Titan

100% think it should be legal. There was a stat like 8yrs ago now saying if the USA legalized it and taxed it as much as cigarettes, the country could be out of debt in 10yrs. I wish I knew where that article was, would be really cool to read now. But ya legalize it, and just have the rules around smoking it in public stricter than cigarettes. The biggest thing is it shouldn’t be smoked around young kids to start out the legal process. Legalize it, say you can smoke on your own property, outside, and not in a room with children or something like that. Then have shops where you can do it in that’s regulated like a bar.

I can see how it will be difficult to get the ball rolling, but once it’s rolling the amount of money being spent/saved/made around this business is going to be massive for users and the gov’t. Think about alcohol and cigarettes, they are creating a lot of money for the gov’t.

I think the arguments against it are now as outdated as the arguments used against any other subject that’s now legal. The generation that’s tacking over the country are aware of the usefulness of it medically, and how safe it actually is to use now recreationally.

I’m pretty sure the price in Amsterdam for a gram ($10CAD-ish) was like $15-18CAD if I remember correctly. So the crazy amount of money that can be made here is just too much to leave on the table. Then you can get the police to stop focussing as much on the dealers of this low risk drug and focus on the one that’s really ruining lives. You take weed away as a source of income and there’s a large chunk of change gone from their pockets. They’ll still deal it I bet (cheaper, dealing to minors, dealing over the border), but you’ll slash a massive chunk out of their profits.

Really early, so my thoughts are all over the place, but I think I covered what I wanted to.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Just like alcohol, different strands of weed give a different high. Each person has a different effect to weed. The general consensus is being calm and relaxed. Some people get just like a long head rush, some people get chatty and become “deep thinkers”, some people you can’t really notice it at all, and some get really goofy.

I am a calm person and I have a go with the flow persona when sober. When drinking, I’m chatty and a bit more social (whole family is like that actually). When high, I’m even calmer and more relaxed. That’s about it. I don’t get goofy, or become a deep thinker. My muscles just relax, nothing feels tense anymore. I would have a weekend long hockey, volleyball, rugby, or any other sport; I’d have some after the games at night. To me it helped out cramping, getting relaxed after the games, and calms me down prior to bedtime for the next day’s games.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Just google search how much money Colorado has made in tax dollars in a YEAR with it being legal. There's no reason it should not be legal. the "legality" isn't stopping anyone from doing it, it's comparatively much much better for you health-wise than cigarettes or alcohol, and having it government regulated will actually make it safer (proper production methods). It just makes sense.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I've never smoked weed on a regular basis, only just very occasionaly, but one thing you get from it is the MUNCHIES!!

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I doubt I would ever smoke it, or try it (how ever you want to consume it) but if it's going to generate tax dollars for all those that want to use it, then I am all for it.
    +1 for this

I doubt it eliminates or even greatly reduces organized crime/black market distribution of this substance though...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    +1 for this

I doubt it eliminates or even greatly reduces organized crime/black market distribution of this substance though...
    How? In Canada, why would you ever buy from a shady dealer when you can go to Mac's or 7-Eleven? And why would crime organizations/black market sellers continue to sell it? As it is, it's one of the least profitable illicit substances to sell. Add in expanded market availability and competition, and it just won't be worth the risk. Hell, it's barely worth the risk for them right now.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I don't recommend people smoking dope, mainly because my experience is that it is an impediment to achievement for most of the young people who smoke it.

That being said,

a) it's totally a$$-backwards that marijuana is illegal whereas alcohol (a demonstrably far more damaging and dangerous drug) is legal as hell, and
    b) it's my belief that the so-called "War on Drugs" started during the Reagan Administration (which largely focused on marijuana because it was by far the easiest to intercede) led to the rise of far more dangerous synthesized drugs such as crack-cocaine and meth.

Just my $0.02

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    +1 for this

Why would there be a need for a black market if it's legal? Do you see a black market for cigarettes or alcohol lol

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Why would there be a need for a black market if it's legal? Do you see a black market for cigarettes or alcohol lol
    Yeah if it's priced well I think it would put a big dent in the black market