Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jays sign JA Happ to 3 yr deal

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Jays sign JA Happ to 3 yr deal

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. Not quite the big splash many Jays fans were hoping for early in the FA spending.

https://twitter.com/BKennedyStar/sta...04138178580481

#BlueJays sign J.A. Happ to 3 year, $36-million deal. Happ pitched for Jays between 2012-2014 before being dealt for Mike Saunders.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Jays sign JA Happ to 3 yr deal

Brutal. Return to mediocrity. Nice knowing ya Price.

Friggggn lame duck GM ain't helping

Dobber Sports Deity

I honestly didnt think Price was returning. I hoped but didnt expect it.

That doesnt mean you go out and overspend on a mediocre pitcher. Just terrible.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I was merely hopeful myself. End of that dream. I remember the Jays with Happ on the team. Sigh.....

Dobber Sports Master

gheezus , 13 mil for happ , ouch

Dobber Sports Ninja

Bleh...I don't MIND Happ and honestly I think he's a great 4 - 5 starter but man, at that price point? Yikes.

I always hate when pitchers make bank in the AL after dominating in the NL. Always a disaster waiting to happen.

Well, at least our rotation is shaping up...

PS: Makes you wonder what the market value for some of the above average starters is going to be if Happ is getting 12 mill per and Price is expected to get somewhere between 25-27 per I believe? Guessing close to 20 for some of the other bigger names.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

What a bad joke this is, it's a joke right?? Come on guys stop joking..

This is the first move of our new GM?? Awesome!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Titan

First off, Estrada+Happs contracts=Buerhles, so stop complaining about the price. Happ had a very solid season and he was going to get that much anyways. Plus it’s a 10mill/13mill/13mill contract; their window is next yr, so we’re saving money next yr. If he chews 180IP that’s great. Sub 3.50ERA, more wins than losses, and he’s a winning guy; he does not like losing.

Stroman, Dickey, Estrada, Happ, then Chavez, Hutch, Sanchez battle for the last spot if they don’t sign someone else. They need that top arm, but they can still get it.

We still have money to get a top end arm, we can still trade Pillar/Pompey/Revere for a pitcher. We have 2 1B that can be traded (selling high too) that can bring in a BP arm, or another SP. They can trade Colly+Smoak, move Bautista to 1B (he’ll have to go there eventually), and have Revere-Pillar-Pompey in the OF, which turns into a great defensive OF and you now have speed on the team (Pompey). We have Saunders too for the OF.

If this is the end of their moves, then it looks like a meh rotation, but they have the opportunity to get that top end arm still. The season doesn’t start tmo. To say this was his first move as a GM too is a lie. He has signed 3 players to minor league contracts, traded Hague for cash, and traded Hendricks for Chavez.

I for one like the move if they get that top arm pitcher still.
    Ace – New guy
    2nd Ace – Stroman
    3rd pitcher – Estrada
    4th pitcher – Happ
    5th pitcher – Dickey
    Now you have a playoff rotation that removes Dickey as a locked in pitcher. Not every signing is Grienke or Price.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Happ had a strong 2nd half after his trade to the NL. Like Bondon, I don't trust those 2nd half numbers too much when it comes to relating to what he will put up in the AL.

Dobber Sports Titan

Happ is a lefty (only one the jays have in the SP line up), he throws 5 pitches, and he’s got a different TBJ lineup around him than when he was with the team in 2012-14. His WAR was 2.1 in his 11 starts for the pirates (Price was 2.7 in his 11 with the Jays), and didn’t allow a run in 5 of his 11 starts. He went deep into games (not going to the 6th only once), and he was attacking the strike zone with his fastball more with the Pirates.

Pirates pitching coach changed his delivery, raised his throwing slot, and eliminated a lot of sloppy movement, which increased his speed, and his command was very good going into the late innings. That was his biggest issue when he was with Toronto. He went from about 45% throwing his FB to over 65% with the pirates. He used his sinker less (threw it so much in Toronto), and switched to his cutter as his secondary pitch.

He was in the NL, and was taking a lot of lefty hitters, so I do understand the hampered expectations with Happ. I’m not expecting sub-2ERA, but sub 3.50 is more than enough with Toronto. A Lefty pitcher will also help out a lot when facing the Yankees in Yankee stadium.

I also saw they may be trying to get Madison (KCR) as another arm in the BP. They may be going for that average SP rotation, and have a very solid BP. Just like KCR. Just had that in my head, wanted to get that out before I forgot.

I would hope they get another arm for the SP rotation, but I can see them maybe going to look at the BP and try to make it a lot better there first. I think this signing is better than what the general consensus is. If he gets sub 3.50ERA, he should be getting more wins than loses.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

I hope you are right about the whole "better than what the general consensus is" statement but for now, I will keep my hopes in check.

You don't have to sell me on Happ. I know him just as well as you do and I've seen the post-trade numbers. I simply don't buy it but one can only hope he is worth the money they are spending on him.

The surprise for me will be if he comes as they hope, not the other way around.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I don't think it's too bad of a signing. You definitely needed pitching depth, so this helps you with that. With their lineup, they don't need shutdown guys, they just need guys to keep them in games. Like 2014olympic said, sub 3.50 era should be serviceable with this team.

I also agree that I"ll be disappointed if this is all they do, as in this is where they chose to allocate their free funds, but here's hoping they keep making some improvements for a run next year.

Administrator

I just hate the opportunity cost of this move. We see these swings from pitchers all the time. They have a great year, hit free agency, cash in and crash. If Happ (and Estrada for that matter) play their best then all they've done is play up to their contract level. Way more possibility of them failing to do so. Smart teams let these guys go and then try and find the latest reclamation projects and spend little money to do so.

I mean, Pittsburgh changed the arm angle to make Happ more effective? Okay, where is the guy the Jays could sign for like $5 million and make a similar adjustment?

I don't think anyone has an issue with bringing back Happ or Estrada, it's just the price point for guys no one sees as being more than 3-4-5 type starters.

And while the likelihood of securing a true #1 is mostly a pipe dream. Spending big on 3-4-5 guys when you have an internal budget creates an opportunity cost of closing that window.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I just hate the opportunity cost of this move. We see these swings from pitchers all the time. They have a great year, hit free agency, cash in and crash. If Happ (and Estrada for that matter) play their best then all they've done is play up to their contract level. Way more possibility of them failing to do so. Smart teams let these guys go and then try and find the latest reclamation projects and spend little money to do so.

I mean, Pittsburgh changed the arm angle to make Happ more effective? Okay, where is the guy the Jays could sign for like $5 million and make a similar adjustment?

I don't think anyone has an issue with bringing back Happ or Estrada, it's just the price point for guys no one sees as being more than 3-4-5 type starters.

And while the likelihood of securing a true #1 is mostly a pipe dream. Spending big on 3-4-5 guys when you have an internal budget creates an opportunity cost of closing that window.
    Good post.

I think the thing that pisses me off the most right now (and this could easily change with one good signing) is the fans showed that if you put a winning team on the field, they will come to the games; they will buy the merchandise, beer and hot dogs; they will watch on TV in droves and Rogers made a CRAP LOAD of money last year after the deadline because they brought in the pieces to win. Granted they fell short, but damn the excitement this team brought to a country was incredible.

They made boat loads of money last year and could easily reinvest it back into the team on what they need the most of all; starting pitching and not just filling the 3-4-5 spots but a true ace. Yes, they have Stroman who they see as an ace but he's not quite there yet and as we saw last year, anything can happen. The fact that they have't reinvested in the one place they truly need help in by bringing in a top of the rotation type of pitcher yet pisses me off. They had one right in front of them that loved the team and the city and they chose not to invest in him. Big mistake in my eyes.

If this team fails to come close to repeating this year because ownership wasn't willing to reinvest in what the fans gave them last year then it's safe to say the fans won't forget and will show ownership just how happy they truly are. Sure, the fans will come out early as a carryover from last years run, but if this team starts to falter because of lackluster pitching (the same problem that has dogged this team for years) you will quickly see the attendance drop off.

Chances are, I am not alone in my train of thought here and that's why a lot of fans aren't overly pleased with the Happ signing. Nothing against Happ but he's not what the fans are hoping for as a reinvestment in the team taking the next step.

Administrator

I think that in their minds, re-signing Estrada and bringing Happ back in constitutes reinvesting in the team. They aren't necessarily wrong on that either. I just wouldn't call it smart reinvesting.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg