Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss journey.

Administrator

Default Re: Weight loss journey.

My mom is very good with the sewing machine and was able to modify the sides of a few of my shirts. Basically it's prolonging the life of my clothes. Otherwise I would have had to hit the stores over the weekend.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Where do you guys get your inspiration for food?

To me, there's nothing worse than having to eat healthy but bland food that doesn't taste like anything great. I'm in constant need of new recipes that go the extra mile to extract as much flavour as possible out of seemingly boring ingredients; like beans/lentils.

Any suggestions?
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nikerato View Post

To me, there's nothing worse than having to eat healthy but bland food that doesn't taste like anything great. I'm in constant need of new recipes that go the extra mile to extract as much flavour as possible out of seemingly boring ingredients; like beans/lentils.

Any suggestions?
    I don't have many suggestions but:

Eat the non-lean cuts of meat for full flavour.

add spices and hot sauces as much as possible. Heat = flavour

The Magnificent One

Any suggestions?
    If you start with healthy foods that have the texture and mouthfeel you like, then, as Big Ev said, there's no shortage of spices or rubs or garnishes that can quickly morph them from very bland to pretty darn good, all without also turning them into a calorie bomb.

I'm a big proponent of fish and seafood. Sure - some of the best fish/seafood is prohibitively expensive; however, a lot of it isn't. I feel like many folks who write off fish either tried a type that didn't jibe with what they want for mouthfeel (some fish can be sort of soft and mushy, while others can be flaky, and still others can be steaky), but stick with it. Fish also is easy to prepare, all things considered.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm a vegan, but thanks for the suggestions haha. Some cooking techniques for meat/seafood carry over when preparing stuff like Tofu.

Here is one of the best sources for recipes I've found lately: http://www.seriouseats.com/vegan-experience

I'm trying to find more like it because it's a rare combo of a) being vegan, b) being generally healthy c) a focus on different techniques to extract flavour, and d) using a variety of ingredients not commonly used in cookie cutter recipes for similar dishes. I think you meat eaters would enjoy the mushroom bacon in particular If you have time, the ramen is freaking delicious too.
    12 team keeper

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov

2014-15 Champ

Banned

I'm a vegan, but thanks for the suggestions haha. Some cooking techniques for meat/seafood carry over when preparing stuff like Tofu.

Here is one of the best sources for recipes I've found lately: http://www.seriouseats.com/vegan-experience

I'm trying to find more like it because it's a rare combo of a) being vegan, b) being generally healthy c) a focus on different techniques to extract flavour, and d) using a variety of ingredients not commonly used in cookie cutter recipes for similar dishes. I think you meat eaters would enjoy the mushroom bacon in particular If you have time, the ramen is freaking delicious too.
    Then my suggestion is stop being vegan

Administrator

I wasn't keeping notes but when I started doing this around mid-December I was somewhere between 230 and 235. This morning: 208. I also put on the pads Saturday and made a VERY successful return to the crease. So glad I put in the work!

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I wasn't keeping notes but when I started doing this around mid-December I was somewhere between 230 and 235. This morning: 208. I also put on the pads Saturday and made a VERY successful return to the crease. So glad I put in the work!
    great job eric. i hope to report good news as well in the near future

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    i hope to report good news as well in the near future
    You better!

Dobber Sports Monster

this week ive started hiking and walking.

Monday: walked 3.5 miles
    Tuesday: walked/hiked 3 miles
    Wednesday: walked 5 miles / hiked another .5 mile

If I kept walking 5 miles a day do you think that would be too hard on your heart? I want to keep doing lots but at the same time I don't want to over do it. I keep walking up and down hills as well to help my SPEED and LEG STRENGTH for baseball

Dobber Sports Initiate

Any suggestions?
    i'm a big fan of the recipes in the Thug Kitchen cookbook - best cook book I have ever bought.
    http://www.thugkitchen.com/tk1
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - Eichel, Hischier,
    LW -
    RW -
    D - Hamilton,
    G - Hellebuyck

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Apprentice

this week ive started hiking and walking.

Monday: walked 3.5 miles
    Tuesday: walked/hiked 3 miles
    Wednesday: walked 5 miles / hiked another .5 mile

If I kept walking 5 miles a day do you think that would be too hard on your heart? I want to keep doing lots but at the same time I don't want to over do it. I keep walking up and down hills as well to help my SPEED and LEG STRENGTH for baseball
    Walking/hiking with low to moderate elevation gain shouldn't affect your heart rate that much. As long as your joints can handle it, you can walk much greater distances every day if you wanted to!
    12 team keeper

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Monster

Walking/hiking with low to moderate elevation gain shouldn't affect your heart rate that much. As long as your joints can handle it, you can walk much greater distances every day if you wanted to!
    So far my joints are holding up very good. Muscles are a little sore. Don't really want to take any days off though since I had a rough January...gained like 15 lbs...just ridiculous. What I like about walking and hiking is it's very cheap to do and you're outside doing something. All this week so far I've had my calorie count AT or BELOW 2000 cals. My caffeine has been limited to safer levels as well. Hopefully all goes well.

Administrator

My caffeine has been limited to safer levels as well. Hopefully all goes well.
    Are you still doing energy drinks? I might be wrong but I'd want to get away from those first. The few times I've had them my heart always started racing afterwards.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Are you still doing energy drinks? I might be wrong but I'd want to get away from those first. The few times I've had them my heart always started racing afterwards.
    Ive stayed away from those. This year I've drank about 2 or 3 total. I drink coffee everyday. Problem is i like drinking 2 XL double doubles a day but have to limit myself to just one a day...too much caffeine. I see baseball players in my area drink energy drinks before a game and I cringe looking at that. On days where I work out I never touch energy drinks, never will.