Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight loss journey.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Weight loss journey.

Sorry.

My op was completely innocent and I wouldn't have ever guessed someone would react to it this way.

When someone takes that and tries to make me seem as bad as an ISIS member then yes, I feel compelled to defend myself. I won't bother anymore.
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

I...am your father.

Not your fault, I moved the discussion to its own thread. You can either discuss with Ev over there, or let him discuss among himself.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Not your fault, I moved the discussion to its own thread. You can either discuss with Ev over there, or let him discuss among himself.
    It's nobody's fault, we were having a civil discussion.

I'm done with this site.

The Great One

ahh man...here we go again

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    It's nobody's fault, we were having a civil discussion.

I'm done with this site.
    I've never weighed in before but its about time.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Lots of good tips in here. Good job guys and good luck stuntman. I could add my own but honestly I have no idea how much I actually know about nutrition and fitness. My only add would be "moderation". It's great to be idealistic and say you're going to cut everything bad out, but in reality, that's hard to do. You know cheat days are going to happen. They just are. Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. holidays are really bad for that. This is your only life, and there is so much incredible food out there these days it would be a shame to never try any of it. Limit eating fast food as much as possible. Make/Take your own breakfast and lunch instead of buying it. If you're out for "Friday date night" and you want to have that steak or whatever that maybe doesn't fit your diet, go ahead. Just know that you have to make up for it the next couple days with how you eat and how you work. You don't want to worry so much about your weight loss that you forget to enjoy life along with it.

Maybe that's bad advice. I dunoo. That's how I do it and it works for me. Hopefully you find something that works for you too. Good luck man!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Its been a couple years. I have a few family members (immediate and distant) that has had diabetes though so I imagine im at high risk of getting it. I have had my blood sugar checked and its always between 5 - 7. I heard that is normal for fasting and that is when I got it tested but it would be smart to get tested regularly
    I had some unexplained weight loss (from 235 to approx 210)so I figured I should check things out with the Doc .

I didnt think I had any of the type 2 diabetes symptoms .I chalked up the frequent urination to drinking alot of water throughout the day and I already tend to feel a bit worn out / tired due to some other health issues , mainly ulcerative colitis .

turns out , I'm type 2 diabetic as of nov 2 .I've obviously had a huge wake up call with this and have had to smarten up with the eating habits ''cold turkey''.I have some meetings this week with a nutritionist and my regular doctor is probably one of the better ones in town so i'm in good hands .

anyways , good luck to you and your journey towards better health - looks like we'll both be spending more time eating veggies !

Dobber Sports Icon

Good luck on your journey Stuntman. We can all get healthier. My big advice to you is to worry about the process and not worry about the results. That and to do things in a way that are sustainable for your life. You are making lifestyle choices and that is what is going to determine your long-term success.

Dobber Sports Genius

The only advice I will offer is in addition to weight loss goals set fitness goals as well. For instance if your running you could aim to run a 10K without taking breaks and have intermediate goals leading up to the 10K, like run 2K consecutively by x amount of time. Or for weight lifting it could be to bench press your body weight or squat x amount pounds. The point being that part of being truly healthy is also being fit not just aspiring to some number on a scale. Good Luck!
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Genius

Good on everyone here who's working on their health. There is an expression I read in Mens Health mag years ago that I'll never forget, "Abs are made in the kitchen" and it's true. Excercise is vital though most of your results will come from your diet.

I agree with Nikerato in that no one will be harmed by eating more plants. At least eat more than you might think you need, or maybe want to.

I remember some friends once who were doing the Atkins diet and saw me eating an orange. They were shocked and thought they should warn me about how many carbs were in an orange and that I'd gain unwanted weight because of it. I asked them if they'd ever heard of anyone getting fat off of fruits and vegetables and, well, of course they hadn't. I explained the difference between simple and complex carbs, the point of that discussion being that when carbs come on the original package, the plant, then they are totally good for you its when they become refined that they become an issue since the fiber and much of the vitamins, minerals, and proteins etc are stripped out. On a side note they weren't doing Atkins as much for their health as it was an excuse to eat bacon, lol.

One of the things I try to do myself is eat a diet where my foods are identifiable in a sense, or just not overly processed. Kind of like the diet an average person might have had a few hundred years ago but probably with more variety due to world trade being quicker and easier of course. Whether the food is cooked or raw it's identifiable as a certain vegtable, fruit, meat or grain. Calorie counting also becomes much of a non issue since with a healthy dose of plant fibre and plenty of water through the day we usually fill up before eating too many calories.

Just my take on diet and I know it helps me since I had a serious back injury years ago with chronic painful inflammation that persisted for years. My diet went in the tank at the time, I couldn't exercise and I gained about 35 pounds, most of which I lost when I got my diet back on track even with very little exercise at the time.

For the record, I went full vegan for around 4 months earlier this year to see if it would help with the inflammation in my back and it did. Health wise it was fine, the biggest drawback was finding something decent to eat when going out for dinner! The core knock though I would have against it is that supplementation with vitamin B12 specifically, which comes from animal products, is practically vital and IMO any diet that requires supplementation isn't an ideal diet. Main thing is avoiding the processed crap of any kind, sugar, flour, highly processed oils and meat.

As far as exercise I recommend a good dose of heavy lifting. Traditional cardio will get your heart pumping, heavy lifting will shred off the calories since they get burned up as your muscles repair especially when doing lifts that incorporate more muscle like squats, lunges, push-ups, pull-ups if you can etc. as it boosts your metabolism throughout the day. This kind of exercise also boosts your testosterone production naturally which helps too.

Overall the biggest thing is committing to a healthier lifestyle, no fads, the kind of diet that's been working for ages and fitness that you enjoy .Best of success to you, sometimes starting is the hardest part and you're already well on your way!
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    The only advice I will offer is in addition to weight loss goals set fitness goals as well. For instance if your running you could aim to run a 10K without taking breaks and have intermediate goals leading up to the 10K, like run 2K consecutively by x amount of time. Or for weight lifting it could be to bench press your body weight or squat x amount pounds. The point being that part of being truly healthy is also being fit not just aspiring to some number on a scale. Good Luck!
    Great point.

Having successive goals (ideal across a few metrics weight/appearance/performance, etc) can really help if you tend to get discouraged. Getting stuck at a weight (which is gonna happen) can suck the wind from your sails but if you have identifiable progress elsewhere it is easier to keep going.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Monster

November 16: 258.7
    November 22: 256.0

I feel stronger since working out and am feeling better so it's going good so far. I'm not going to stop until I win this war on weight

Ive been averaging 2000 calories a day.

Dobber Sports Master

Good for you. 2.7lbs is a lot to lose in a week though.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I have lost 5 lbs in a week but that was with a lot .... a lot of walking and very strict eating. I averaged about 2000 cals this week. Looking to maybe cut my calorie count down some more.

I keep thinking even if I lose 3 lbs a week then I will reach my goal of 199.99 in 4.5 months or so. Thats a decent pace but I know it's possible.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Not really. Weight fluctuates a ton due to water weight.

The he look and how you feel us more important than a number