Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight loss journey.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Weight loss journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    So naive. Do you post on hfboards sens? Couple of nut jobs on there who think meat will kill you too.

You can choose to be vegan but again don't feed people with your bullshit to try to brainwash them
    I tend to avoid hockey forums where there's only one player worth talking about.

It's funny how you can create a tongue-in-cheek comment, but then take a tongue-in-cheek response literally. Heavily meat based diets don't directly kill you, but they increase your susceptibility to conditions that could kill you.

Anyways this topic is heavily researched by now. If you aren't willing to read a book or some peer-reviewed journals, then you are the one who is naive. Regardless of what you think you know, a diet low in meat, processed foods, and sugar is good for you; while the inverse - a diet high in meat, processed foods, and sugar is bad for you - is also true.
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Let's focus on encouraging and helping stuntman, you two can discuss the vegan life in PM's imo.
    Stuntman may not take my advice, your advice, or anyone else's but it's here as an option.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    Let's focus on encouraging and helping stuntman, you two can discuss the vegan life in PM's imo.
    Stuntman may not take my advice, your advice, or anyone else's but it's here as an option.
    Im going to do my best to take everybody's advice to reach my goals. I appreciate everyone's input I really do

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    27. 5''11
    I have not read all 3 pages of your post, but figured I'd include my recent journey.

I just turned the calendar on 40 years old in May of this year. That said, I see myself more around the 30 year old mark physically and quite younger mentally with all this fantasy play! lol

I too am 5'11" (which I suspect you meant to say rather than a 5 inch 258 pound cartoon Christmas ornament! lol).

2 year ago, I was told I had high cholesterol. I saw a dietician and made some changes and improved my numbers. 2 year later I fell back into my old ways and early this year's physical revealed high cholesterol again. that and my weight had increased to 220lbs (I had never before hit 200lbs... I like to be around the 195lb mark optimally.

I got pissed with this diagnosis cause physical I felt fine (admittedly felt a little round in the middle).

So here's what I did.

1) I invested in a "FitBit". (there's lots of these step watches out there, but I chose the Fitbit Charge... $160 or so... no need for the heart rate monitor).
    2) I downloaded the App and learned all I could about how to use this tool to my advantage.
    3) I committed to a program of walking, improved diet and attainable exercise. I'm a married father of 2 (9 and 6... so I don't have time for a gym membership)
    4) Through the Fitbit app, I was able to set up a calorie counting plan and keep myself accountable for all of (Calorie Burn, Calorie Intake, Steps, Flights, Exercise Logged)
    5) You say you're limiting yourself to 1500 calories. That's tough. what I did was commit myself to 1000 Caloric Deficiency. Through the App I tracked everything I ate and I mean everything. It's cumbersome at first, but it learns from what I input and becomes much easier. 1000 Caloric Deficiency means I was accountable at burning 1000 more calories than what I put in my body. Clearly WHAT kind of calories you're putting in is important as GINFIZZ says, and I got to learn what's best as I did even just a little research and this product kept me accountable.
    6) I set my step goal to 12,000 per day. I have a 13 year old (yet very active) black lab who has been dealing with some weight Issues. She helped me remain accountable and she and I get up and go for a 2 - 3 KM walk every single morning (early enough that I can still get back, make breakfast for my kids, do a quick 10 - 12 minutes work out and still be at my desk at work for 8am)
    7) I set my Active minutes to 90. This was tracked trough the Fitbit App.
    8) I encorporated a daily work out (something not too crazy but quick enough, and effective enough to manage). My wife got on board. I switched between MAX T3 (Burst training) and Tony Horton's 10 minute Trainer and did 1 to 2 sessions a day (only really need 1 for gradual results). That's 10 - 20 minutes in my basement with relatively little equipment (bands and light weights really). Cardio was my best friend and showed me the best results. Kinda got the feeling that Tony Horton's 10 minute was targeted more towards the female pop... but whatev. It was an achievable goal and helped show me the results.

I started all of that in March of this year. By my 40th Birthday late May I had dropped from 220lb to 200lbs. that's 20lbs in 3 months and my Doc and Nurse Practitioner was astounded as to my turn around in Cholesterol numbers. Back down to normal numbers and motivated to continue. Right now I'm in maintenance mode and trying to keep my weight (which I got as low as 195) between 195 and 202 (when I get to 200, I know I need to crack down again...but important to have an acceptable range)

and my 90lb lab got down to 80 lbs and seems to have added a new step in her 13 year old body.

Anyway... that's my strategy. I also got my Dad on much of the same with the Fit bit. He's 5'9" and was an obese 270 lbs before he had Heart Valve Surgery this summer. within 2 weeks of the surgery, he got bit by the Fitbit and is averaging 17,000 steps per day. He's down from 270lbs to 250. He's plateaued a bit, but he's stubborn and refused to track his calories. Keep trying to motivate him to press on.

VERY IMORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE FIRST 10-15 lbs usually are shed the easiest. Then almost always in a plateau period which can ben VERY frustrating and demotivating. JUST KEEP GOING! You need to break through that plateau and ongoing commitment will result in positive weight loss.

Just like a smoker usually needs to get past that 2 week barrier (hardest part) and then the true recovery starts.

Best wishes on your journey fella!

HB21

Dobber Sports Master

have you ever been tested for diabetes Stuntman ?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    Its been a couple years. I have a few family members (immediate and distant) that has had diabetes though so I imagine im at high risk of getting it. I have had my blood sugar checked and its always between 5 - 7. I heard that is normal for fasting and that is when I got it tested but it would be smart to get tested regularly

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    I have not read all 3 pages of your post, but figured I'd include my recent journey.

I just turned the calendar on 40 years old in May of this year. That said, I see myself more around the 30 year old mark physically and quite younger mentally with all this fantasy play! lol

I too am 5'11" (which I suspect you meant to say rather than a 5 inch 258 pound cartoon Christmas ornament! lol).

2 year ago, I was told I had high cholesterol. I saw a dietician and made some changes and improved my numbers. 2 year later I fell back into my old ways and early this year's physical revealed high cholesterol again. that and my weight had increased to 220lbs (I had never before hit 200lbs... I like to be around the 195lb mark optimally.

I got pissed with this diagnosis cause physical I felt fine (admittedly felt a little round in the middle).

So here's what I did.

1) I invested in a "FitBit". (there's lots of these step watches out there, but I chose the Fitbit Charge... $160 or so... no need for the heart rate monitor).
    2) I downloaded the App and learned all I could about how to use this tool to my advantage.
    3) I committed to a program of walking, improved diet and attainable exercise. I'm a married father of 2 (9 and 6... so I don't have time for a gym membership)
    4) Through the Fitbit app, I was able to set up a calorie counting plan and keep myself accountable for all of (Calorie Burn, Calorie Intake, Steps, Flights, Exercise Logged)
    5) You say you're limiting yourself to 1500 calories. That's tough. what I did was commit myself to 1000 Caloric Deficiency. Through the App I tracked everything I ate and I mean everything. It's cumbersome at first, but it learns from what I input and becomes much easier. 1000 Caloric Deficiency means I was accountable at burning 1000 more calories than what I put in my body. Clearly WHAT kind of calories you're putting in is important as GINFIZZ says, and I got to learn what's best as I did even just a little research and this product kept me accountable.
    6) I set my step goal to 12,000 per day. I have a 13 year old (yet very active) black lab who has been dealing with some weight Issues. She helped me remain accountable and she and I get up and go for a 2 - 3 KM walk every single morning (early enough that I can still get back, make breakfast for my kids, do a quick 10 - 12 minutes work out and still be at my desk at work for 8am)
    7) I set my Active minutes to 90. This was tracked trough the Fitbit App.
    8) I encorporated a daily work out (something not too crazy but quick enough, and effective enough to manage). My wife got on board. I switched between MAX T3 (Burst training) and Tony Horton's 10 minute Trainer and did 1 to 2 sessions a day (only really need 1 for gradual results). That's 10 - 20 minutes in my basement with relatively little equipment (bands and light weights really). Cardio was my best friend and showed me the best results. Kinda got the feeling that Tony Horton's 10 minute was targeted more towards the female pop... but whatev. It was an achievable goal and helped show me the results.

I started all of that in March of this year. By my 40th Birthday late May I had dropped from 220lb to 200lbs. that's 20lbs in 3 months and my Doc and Nurse Practitioner was astounded as to my turn around in Cholesterol numbers. Back down to normal numbers and motivated to continue. Right now I'm in maintenance mode and trying to keep my weight (which I got as low as 195) between 195 and 202 (when I get to 200, I know I need to crack down again...but important to have an acceptable range)

and my 90lb lab got down to 80 lbs and seems to have added a new step in her 13 year old body.

Anyway... that's my strategy. I also got my Dad on much of the same with the Fit bit. He's 5'9" and was an obese 270 lbs before he had Heart Valve Surgery this summer. within 2 weeks of the surgery, he got bit by the Fitbit and is averaging 17,000 steps per day. He's down from 270lbs to 250. He's plateaued a bit, but he's stubborn and refused to track his calories. Keep trying to motivate him to press on.

VERY IMORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE FIRST 10-15 lbs usually are shed the easiest. Then almost always in a plateau period which can ben VERY frustrating and demotivating. JUST KEEP GOING! You need to break through that plateau and ongoing commitment will result in positive weight loss.

Just like a smoker usually needs to get past that 2 week barrier (hardest part) and then the true recovery starts.

Best wishes on your journey fella!

HB21
    That was a great read. Thanks a lot for your words. I know what you mean about the plateau though, I was 272 in 2013 and back down to 260 shortly after, then hung around 265 for about a year and just this past spring I figured I better do something and went down to 251, started getting excited because I havent seen the 240's since 2011. Then I went up to 258. I had a good day yesterday and worked out, just going to work out soon here before I watch Leafs Lunch lol. But thanks again I appreciate everything and hope your dads weight stabilizes as well.

I...am your father.

What a great thread. Inspirational, with lots of helpful posts and responses. I'm amazed at how many people jumped on board here and gave their story and a little of what they know. Although, leave it to Ev to be the one negative person in here (shocked ).
    I'm inspired.

Back in late April at the doctor's I weighed in at 246 which shocked me. It was dangerously close to my all time high of 252. I'm 6-1 and 41 years old. At the start of May I got back on the treadmill, with dumbbells. Haven't really changed my diet, though I drink Michelob Ultra more now instead of regular beer, otherwise no change. So 2.5 - 3.0 miles per day for six months, walking/jogging with dumbbells. Three-pound dumbbells for 45 minutes don't seem like much, but it's actually great early on. Of course I eventually had to graduate to 10-pounds and occasionally switch to 15, while walking/jogging. Down to 234 now, which isn't much in six months but there's definitely a lot of toning that I haven't seen since my 20s.

I figure if I can keep this up for another year I can get below my 'floor' of 218. That's a number I could never get below when I dieted seven years ago. But ultimately it would be nice to get to 210. Man, 6-1 and 210 with definition would be unprecedented for me. I was a scrawny teenager and morphed from that to beer gut by the time I was 28.

Thanks for starting the thread. We should start a 'tracker' thread and support each other's progress

I'm going to take some of the diet tips above too.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I was told a couple years ago that I was borderline diabetic and was told to lose weight. As I mentioned earlier, I changed my diet and my portion sizes (very important) and did the P90X workout. It's a 90 day workout but within 60 days I had already dropped 28lbs. I am not a big guy by any means 5'8" but I was up around 190lbs. Very heavy for me and I am a pretty active guy. Beer is my downfall and weakness.

Anyway, the P90X did wonders for me (along with the change in diet). That was a few years ago. I have slowly crept back up where I am now back in the high 170s and won't be long before I will have to force myself to make some changes again. Diabetes scares the crap out of me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    What a great thread. Inspirational, with lots of helpful posts and responses. I'm amazed at how many people jumped on board here and gave their story and a little of what they know. Although, leave it to Ev to be the one negative person in here (shocked ).
    I'm inspired.

Back in late April at the doctor's I weighed in at 246 which shocked me. It was dangerously close to my all time high of 252. I'm 6-1 and 41 years old. At the start of May I got back on the treadmill, with dumbbells. Haven't really changed my diet, though I drink Michelob Ultra more now instead of regular beer, otherwise no change. So 2.5 - 3.0 miles per day for six months, walking/jogging with dumbbells. Three-pound dumbbells for 45 minutes don't seem like much, but it's actually great early on. Of course I eventually had to graduate to 10-pounds and occasionally switch to 15, while walking/jogging. Down to 234 now, which isn't much in six months but there's definitely a lot of toning that I haven't seen since my 20s.

I figure if I can keep this up for another year I can get below my 'floor' of 218. That's a number I could never get below when I dieted seven years ago. But ultimately it would be nice to get to 210. Man, 6-1 and 210 with definition would be unprecedented for me. I was a scrawny teenager and morphed from that to beer gut by the time I was 28.

Thanks for starting the thread. We should start a 'tracker' thread and support each other's progress

I wasn't being negative. The poster I was replying to was trying to brainwash people like most holier-than-thou types do. To me, his comments about meat are the same as an ISIS member brainwashing children to blow themselves up for Allah.

I have zero respect for anyone trying to push their views so hard onto others, telling people what they're doing is wrong, especially when their views are silly and easily refuted. Telling somebody who is looking to lose weight and be healthy to not eat meat is just leading them in a completely bad/wrong direction.

The Great One

I eat meat. But I try to eat a more veggie diet. I went vegan for 40 days (for lent) like 2 years ago and cutting out the dairy was wayyyyyyy harder than the meat.

The FDA is so loose with hormones and steroids it's actually disgusting. When I do eat meat I try to go to the local butcher who I know has free range animals.

Meat is fine for you, fine for everybody, as it had been for generations.
    Back then a chicken wasn't fully grown and ready to be slaughtered in 50 days. Although I agree that meat is fine for us, it's the way the meat is being handled nowadays that isn't fine for us.

And Stuntman, good for you. Keep us updated.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I'm inspired.

Im actually keeping track of my progress on Microsoft Excel. I write in my weight when I wake up, calorie count for the day and what i did for training. Right now Im doing shadow boxing exercises where I go 3 minutes of punching, mixed with a little rest and have mandatory 1 minute rest (just like a boxing fight really). I aim for 300 punches a round, yesterday I went 3 rounds x 300 punches, today I upped it to 4 rounds x 400 punches. I have done 6 rounds in the past but that was when I was in better shape and was doing it fairly often. I plan on upping it to 6 (3 minute) rounds x 300 punches, 5 days a week. So yesterday was 3 rounds, today was 4, tomorrow 5, next day 6 rounds.

Then I will stay at 6. Keep my diet clean and see how the progress goes because im going to keep a graph and when I reach my goal I want to print it off so I can look at it. I know some people may say weighing yourself everyday is not the greatest plan because your weight fluctuates now and then but when I document it I find myself being more accountable for my actions when I document everything.

Good Luck Dobber

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I eat meat. But I try to eat a more veggie diet. I went vegan for 40 days (for lent) like 2 years ago and cutting out the dairy was wayyyyyyy harder than the meat.

The FDA is so loose with hormones and steroids it's actually disgusting. When I do eat meat I try to go to the local butcher who I know has free range animals.

Back then a chicken wasn't fully grown and ready to be slaughtered in 50 days. Although I agree that meat is fine for us, it's the way the meat is being handled nowadays that isn't fine for us.

And Stuntman, good for you. Keep us updated.
    Appreciate it. Appreciate everyones responses. When I get under 250 (my first short term goal) I will let yall know. Im excited for it because I havent been there since 2011 lol

Dobber Sports Deity

How about we get this back on the tracks. Slinging crap at each other is just getting silly at this point.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    How about we get this back on the tracks. Slinging crap at each other is just getting silly at this point.
    I'm usually all-in for some good shit-slinging, but yes, this is ridiculous. This guys trying to get some input/support and you guys are ruining it. Start another thread about your meat.