Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to Learn the Ropes, Need Advice Please!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Re: Trying to Learn the Ropes, Need Advice Please!

i also played last night, won enough to cover my contest entries with a slight overall win of a whopping $ 3.00 . Getting ready to research for tonights and start picking my lineups.

A Leafs lineup would have done really well last night, I would guess a lot of people loaded up on SJS and DAL and it looks like the TML guys would have been the highest point producers. I haven't won anything substantial in the last little while, I usually break even which is cool for me, allows me to keep trying at a big pot!

I would usually skip on a night like tonight, not enough options - someone will enter 15 lineups and win big
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Dobber Sports Rookie

Should have taken your advice dooley89 and taken a break last night, entered 3 lineups in 6 contests and no where near any type of win, more like mid to low 30's for my scoring (draftkings). Do you typically hold off on the nights where only couple games played due to the reason you posted about?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I literally want to just put my fist through the wall right now. Last night I had Martin Jones as my goalie in all of my lineups. As the day went on I decided to change some of them because if he had a bad night, I'd be screwed. So I put Mike Condon in on some. Wouldn't you know, Jones was the BIG winner for DFS points last night with a shutout. Tonight I said the hell with it! I banked a LOT on Nashville. Used their defense in a lot of my lineups and put Pekka Rinne in all of them. Murphy's law... Nashville is down 3-0 right now. Still a period to go, but I'm beginning to think it's a big conspiracy against me here.

It's all luck man, trust me haha
    I've been breaking even for weeks now, missed the Sedin train last night which sucked!

Lots of high scoring games lately and very spread out points.

I usually skip on small nights unless I feel good about an underdog and then I just stack on a brutal team I think will light it up!
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I really don’t know if I’m just this unlucky, maybe I just don’t know hockey as well as I thought I did, or perhaps Draftkings is rigged somehow. Probably a combination of all three. I just can’t seem to do well. Last night I went to bed before the Van vs NJ game started. At the time I wasup $49.12. I woke up this morning and had a measly $12.00 total win. *SIGH*

I’m trying a new strategy tonight. I usually do the $1 or $3 games with thousands of people. Tonight I’m trying my luck with a higher priced game with less people. I have 3 $9 games locked in. Will I win? Most likely not, but at least I’m trying it to see if it’ll help me get out of my funk. If I don’t do well tonight I’m probably just going to take a step back for a while and do some research or play in some free games until I can see some kind of pattern or something. It’s just irritating. Really irritating.

And again, I’m not expecting to win 1st place in any contest. I really don’t think that’s realistic for me. I would however like to win something decent. On a good night I’m lucky to win $12 or $15.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah, so last night didn’t pay off. Won exactly $0. LOL So, I’m pretty much out of money in my account now. I have $2.38 left so I’m entering into two $1 contests and a $.25 one. Only two games on tonight so who knows what’ll happen. Either way if I don’t win tonight it’s time for a break. Got more important things to spend money on right now.

I literally never lose on 50/50's have you tried those?
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hi, I took the promo of Dobber/DraftKing this fall.
    I'm enjoying my time on DraftKing.
    I'm now at 10,80!!! Whouhou!!
    There are some little things that I don't get however.
    - Beginner entries? Is this for poeple like me who begin in DFS? What's the difference between beginner and non-beginner entries?
    - League? Sometimes I can see a mark saying League beside the entry. What's that for?
    - M(number)? Some other have an indication of M and a number... M20? M100? I don't get what that means.
    Thanks for your help!
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    - Beginner entries? Is this for poeple like me who begin in DFS? What's the difference between beginner and non-beginner entries?
    Yes you can only join these when you start, once you enter a certain amount of contests it is closed off (Take advantage of this section lol)

- League? Sometimes I can see a mark saying League beside the entry. What's that for?
    Just a different style of contest

- M(number)? Some other have an indication of M and a number... M20? M100? I don't get what that means.
    Means you can enter multiple lineups in the same contest (M20 = 20 lineups)

Hope these help!!!!!
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I did a few 50/50 and did win on some, but honestly I think my greed of wanting to win big pulled me away and put me into the larger contests. Haha... That strategy clearly didn't pay off!

So, thanks for saying that. I said the hell with it and threw another $20 in my account to try some 50/50s. Going really conservative though. Only have two lineups in cheap contests tonight. We'll see what happens.

Dobber Sports Novice

I would say to build around your goalie so make sure you get a great one that consistently puts up the points even when he loses because his team typically gives up lots of shots so he gets lots of .2's for each save. I would say to play head to head's vs guys that don't have x24 beside their usernames for example as those are the sharks you want to avoid, especially when you are starting out. Top 50% are good bets to make. Be sure you play enough so that if you win in your head to head's and top 50% that is covers your losses in the big tournaments where typically around 20% of the lineups win. Look for players that put up shots and/or blocked shots so that even if they don't get any points you won't be screwed with a 0.0. Look at player's recent game performances but also dig into some analytics like home vs away, vs a certain opponent, how they perform on a particular day e.g. Tuesday's, how their games FPTS compare to the seasonal average, etc. Look for good value with low cost guys that can still regularly put up 1 or 1.5 points per game with the potential for 3-4 so you can afford the more expensive guys that regularly put up a good amount of points, guys like Kane, Seguin, and Benn for example. I finished 9th out of 4,600 entries last night in a tournament format so I'm feeling great about my DFS skills right now. I was 1st within a few minutes left in the only two games left for the night so I was getting pretty excited until that Flyers OT goal dropped my lineup a few spots, and going from $500 to just $25. Mind you luck does play a part too, but you can minimize your risk and maximize your upside if you do your research effectively. Got to go and finalize my NHL DK lineup for tonight!
    Founder and President of DraftFuel.com

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I definitely think I need to research more than I am. Ijust don’t know how or where to do it.

My steps to choosing my players goes something like this…

1. Look at the Vegas odds to see who’s favorited in eachcontest. Most of the time I’ll choose agoalie from one of the “winning” teams.
    2. Once my goalie is drafted I’ll pick a big named studplayer like Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tarasenko, etc along with a linemate if I canafford it.
    3. I’ll look at the other players home/away splits, pointproduction, shots on net, blocked shots, etc. and fill in the spaces while tryingto get as many line combos in along with players who get power play time.

As for choosing players who do better on certain nights,what their stats are against that night’s opponent, well I could definitely usesome direction in that area. Where would I find this information from a freesource?

I’m not sure what you mean when you say “howtheir games FPTS compare to the seasonal average” though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergy80 View Post
    I definitely think I need to research more than I am. Ijust don’t know how or where to do it.

My steps to choosing my players goes something like this…

1. Look at the Vegas odds to see who’s favorited in eachcontest. Most of the time I’ll choose agoalie from one of the “winning” teams.
    2. Once my goalie is drafted I’ll pick a big named studplayer like Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tarasenko, etc along with a linemate if I canafford it.
    3. I’ll look at the other players home/away splits, pointproduction, shots on net, blocked shots, etc. and fill in the spaces while tryingto get as many line combos in along with players who get power play time.

As for choosing players who do better on certain nights,what their stats are against that night’s opponent, well I could definitely usesome direction in that area. Where would I find this information from a freesource?

I’m not sure what you mean when you say “howtheir games FPTS compare to the seasonal average” though.
    Honestly man I don't put that much effort in lol, I definitely do not think production on Tuesday vs Wednesday should even be taken into account.
    I've said it a couple times throughout this thread but essentially there are a couple of ways to win.

1. Draft 9 players from 5+ teams and pick the best player that night from each respective team.
    This is not easy to do

2. Draft majority of your players from an odds favorite team you think will play great and then draft 2 other players.
    This is what most people do based on what I have seen, if Dallas is playing Buffalo - 75% of people will stack DAL

3. Draft majority of your players from an underdog team and draft 2 other players.
    I don't see this as much, even when underdog teams do come out on top - I find this very easy to win but obviously your team has to be perfect

Punchline: There is really no proven way to win, I don't think.

We all have good nights and bad nights, I drafted what I thought was a perfect lineup the other night and I got skunked.
    Two weeks ago I picked a bunch of CGY and LAK players or something like that and I won every single H2H I was in.
    I entered a TOR lineup one night just for kicks and won $900.

5%: Picking good players
    95%: Luck
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Haha... so basically I'm overthinking things? I do second guess myself.... a LOT! So far tonight it paid off because I didn't have Milan Michalek in my lineup, but made a last minute swap. He scored a goal so I got the points.

It's just so frustrating to lose night after night.