Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to Learn the Ropes, Need Advice Please!

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: Trying to Learn the Ropes, Need Advice Please!

Quote Originally Posted by LEAFS225 View Post
    Who says that lesser owned players have less skill? A huge part of winning a big tournament is going against the grain. Not saying that every single player has to be low owned, you could put Ovechkin in your lineup and still win a big tournament. What I'm saying is you need to have those players that very few others have and hope they have a big night for you because you'll be one of the only ones getting huge points.

For example here are some guys I would have looked at tonight based on those owned percentages:

Gaudreau (1%) - Monahan (0.3%) - Hudler (0.3%) - Why, because the line is back together and they could breakout at anytime. If your the guy who has them when they do your looking to cash in.
    Parise (2.3%), Hartnell (1.4%), Okposo (1.7%), Kucherov (1.6%), Hedman (.7%), Josi (2.3%), are just some other very good players that could break out.

On Fanduel, Taylor Hall was 2.3% according to the NHL One-Timer single entry tonight, he has 5.9 FP as I write this. Ovechkin has 5.2 FP, 16.2% owned, and is $1000 more to pay up for. Hall is the better LW choice tonight and anyone who picked him instead of Ovi has a leg up on everyone else. I realize the difference is only .7 FP but I'm just using it as an example. If Hall went off for 15 FP and Ovi still had 5FP that 2.3% with Hall would be shooting towards the top.

Here is my lineup for the $1 One-timer single entry tonight on Fanduel. Sitting 52nd out of 5405 people and only making $8. It is only $1 entry, but still these tournaments are so hard to take down.

As you can see I went against the grain with the Blue Jackets over the Blues because Bobrovsky has been playing better as of late and so has Johansen. Also the Devils players because they lost to Montreal last night and could see them coming back to win tonight. They didn't really explode or anything to win the tournament, but I'm at least making $9 off of the $1 I put in. The potential was definitely there though.

Here is an example of my best lineup I have ever put together on Fanduel.

Seguin and Benn didn't have a point after the first couple games last year and people we're off them, so I took them and lucked out. They were only 3% owned which was a huge reason as to why I won. And because of that I could afford one of my players to get 0.7 points and my goalie to not get the win.

That's some of my thinking when it comes to DFS.
    You know what you're talking about, good post! Yeah it's all about finding value for players, you want to be able to maximize the number of fantasy points with the salary cap that you're alloted. If you can find players that are $2500-$3500 that get an average of 3.5 fantasy points in a game, and you can afford elite talent and your super star players go big for 10+ fantasy points then you're going to fair very well. I like to add up the total number of average fantasy points for the season for my lineups and make sure they are at least 30-35. I look for players that I think are going to beat their season fantasy point average in any given game because I think a big part of the algorithm for calculating salaries is that seasonal average, and if your players beat the average then that's when you see 35-50+ fantasy points.
    Founder and President of DraftFuel.com

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bergy80 View Post
    Well, if a player is on the 3rd or 4th line and only scores about 10 goals a year then obviously they're not as skilled as the Ovechkin's and Crosby's, at least not scoring wise which is what really matters in fantasy. That's what I mean by that. Every time I've tried my luck doing as you suggest I got burned with a zero or .5 for scores. I don't like FanDuel so I don't play there

Maybe it's something I'll learn in time, it just seems weird to me that the percentage owned would have such a big roll in this. Where do you find out the nightly percentages? I can start tinkering around with that to see if it helps.
    In NHL DFS the owned percentages are more of a guessing game. The only reason you could see them Friday and Saturday was because there were early games. If you set a lineup for 1:00pm and it has guys who play at 7:00pm in the lineup, you can see how much they are owned. It's a rough estimate but it is still close. This works better for NFL DFS because you can see how much players are owned for the weekend after the Thursday contests.

I don't know where your seeing anything about 3rd and 4th line players though. My point is to try studs that have been quiet as of late that could bust out a big game any moment. Don't take a 4th line player just because he will be low owned. Take a 1st line player because you think he will be low owned.

My advice is to try taking 3 forwards who have been on hot streaks in any given month. Kane-Panarin-Anisimov would have been a great stack throughout the month of November, but now I think they will slow down so I would start to fade them. Now for your other players, find a cheaper goalie who you think could win, find a few value plays, and then find 2 studs who are slumping and could breakout.

This is just kind of a guideline and something to think about. You don't have to do it exactly, but play around with it and find what is working for you. There is nothing wrong with doing .25 cent and $1 tournaments. It's good practice and if you notice yourself winning then maybe move up the entry fee a bit.

Those ownership percentages are also only based on the contest you entered I believe, right?
    That's how it works on Draft Kings at least.

Seguin could be 25% owned in a 10 player tournament but 50% owned in a 11,000 player multiplier.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    Those ownership percentages are also only based on the contest you entered I believe, right?
    That's how it works on Draft Kings at least.
    Oh, absolutely. The less entries, the more conservative the picks.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Interesting information. Thanks so much for sharing all of this. I'm still not doing as well as I'd like, but I am improving. The past several days I've focused mainly on 50/50s, small double ups, and head to heads and I've been breaking even if not getting a few bucks a night. I still need to focus on a few things like picking goalies wisely (I keep getting screwed out of points there.. LOL) and as we've been discussing finding value players for less, but I'll get there...... I hope!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Ok, I just set up my lineups for tomorrow night. Provided the goalie of my choice is the starter and I don't have to make a change tomorrow, here are my numbers.

Lineup 1 = 31.3 total FPPG (avg 3.47) with $0 remaining salary.
    Lineup 2 = 35.7 total FPPG (avg 3.96) with $800 remaining salary.
    Lineup 3 = 34.9 total FPPG (avg 3.87) with $1,200 remaining salary.

Looking at it this way, I'm very comfortable with my choices, we'll see how it goes. My 3rd lineup is a heavy stack on one team. My gut is telling me to do this and to keep the players I have even though I have plenty of room to upgrade so I'm going with it. I've entered all three in the $.25 contest, a $1 contest for $2K, and each in it's own $1 head to head.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Bergy80 View Post
    Ok, I just set up my lineups for tomorrow night. Provided the goalie of my choice is the starter and I don't have to make a change tomorrow, here are my numbers.

Lineup 1 = 31.3 total FPPG (avg 3.47) with $0 remaining salary.
    Lineup 2 = 35.7 total FPPG (avg 3.96) with $800 remaining salary.
    Lineup 3 = 34.9 total FPPG (avg 3.87) with $1,200 remaining salary.

Looking at it this way, I'm very comfortable with my choices, we'll see how it goes. My 3rd lineup is a heavy stack on one team. My gut is telling me to do this and to keep the players I have even though I have plenty of room to upgrade so I'm going with it. I've entered all three in the $.25 contest, a $1 contest for $2K, and each in it's own $1 head to head.
    Cool! What goalie are you thinking? Which line are you betting goes off?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm taking Nilsson tonight. I have a lot of interest in Edmonton tonight. Just my gut feeling which it's probably wrong, but we'll see!

So, when you enter multiple lineups do you try to go with different players in each or do you overlap? As an example I'd you feel good about Kane and Panarin one night do you base all of your lineups around them our mix it up?

I've been really wanting to overlap players and am trying to fight the urge to do that.

I'd say EDM is probably a popular choice for people tonight, I think Draisaitl is still up there in FPPG on Draft Kings so he may be a popular choice.
    I would probably hope CAR upsets the Rangers and put my money there, nights like this aren't generally easy to win on.

I rarely overlap lineups and if I do it's with a $2,500 value guy who is on a roll, Vatrano or Colin Miller when they were cheap for example.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Perry and Getzlaf only 5% owned in a few tournaments. Gibson 5%. If they have a good night tonight they could be the winning stack for sure.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Well.... the Oilers thing isn't panning out tonight. Shocker!

Of all my lineups tonight my highest points total so far is 30.10 with only D. Sedin's points to come. Hopefully he has a big night for me. This is the one lineup that I went with Lundquist as my goalie.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Somehow, I don’t know how, but I managed to get through last night taking only a $.32 loss. My best lineup was actually a last minute Toronto stack with Lundquist as my goalie so I think I’m starting to understand the whole point of picking the underdog / less owned players type of thing now. My goal tonight is to go more for the unusual picks to see how I do. I can see a lot of people going with Seguin, Benn, Malkin, Kane etc tonight. I’m not saying I won’t be picking any of them at all, but for the most part I’m going to try going against what I usually do. My usual plan isn’t working as well as I’d like so I’m going to mix it up.

You gotta pick the best player or maybe two from multiple teams tonight in order to win big.
    A stack generally just doesn't have enough players putting up the 6+ points from players that you need, unless it's a massive underdog team that wins by 5 goals.

Gostisbehere at $3,100 should be on a ton of rosters, I am assuming people know about him by now.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I went nutso today! I did several lineups. I feel really good about all of them, but I feel that way every night. *sigh* Hopefully I'll at least break even. We'll see.

I agree that Gostisbehere is a nice pick. I have him in several of my lineups.

I only put in one lineup for $0.25 lol

Larkin, Zetterberg, Palmieri, Panarin, Steen, OEL, Josi, Gostisbehere, Mrazek
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO