Thread: Frederik Andersen v. Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Frederik Andersen v. Martin Jones

In a dynasty (non-limited) keeper, who do you like for the next 3 years? And is it close or not close? This year and the next few years I will be in the mix trying to win.

Scoring is W(1) L(-1) SO(2) OTL(0.5) SV (0.05) GA (-0.15).

Regarding Andersen don't worry about bringing up Gibson as a challenger, as I am aware of this and have my views on it. The way I look at it is that IF Gibson at some point actually manages to stay healthy enough and play well enough to take the starting job it will result in Andersen being a starter for some other NHL team, not him toiling as a back-up to Gibson.

Rep will be handed out like candy! Thanks!

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Frederik Andersen v. Martin Jones

I dont like the way Bruce Boudreau handles goalies. That is the tie-breaker for me in an otherwise very even comparison. Andersen has a longer track record than Jones, but like you said there is more competition in the Anaheim organization. I think both are going to be decent goalies ranking around the top 15 this season, but I slightly prefer Jones long-term. If Andersen was playing for a different coach I would like him better.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Andersen for me. Longer track record of being #1.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think it's too soon to tell. Let Jones have a full year as a starter and wait to see were Andersen ends up. Since you have negative cats (L & GA), if he gets traded to a loosing team then he looses a lot of value.

But if all things stay the same I prefer ANA for the next 3 years, unless SJ move some players (Marleau, Thorton) and get some good value for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I dont like the way Bruce Boudreau handles goalies. That is the tie-breaker for me in an otherwise very even comparison. Andersen has a longer track record than Jones, but like you said there is more competition in the Anaheim organization. I think both are going to be decent goalies ranking around the top 15 this season, but I slightly prefer Jones long-term. If Andersen was playing for a different coach I would like him better.

If they don't make the playoffs Boudreau will likely be gone, but then I would think there would be increased pressure to bring up Gibson and see what he can offer...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Andersen for me. Longer track record of being #1.
    Thanks - is it close in your mind or not close at all?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    Thanks - is it close in your mind or not close at all?
    It's close for sure. Andersen has an extra year of holding the starting job so I feel more confident in him being able to stay a #1. Skills alone, I think Jones is even more talented than Andersen but with goalies it's such a mental thing that you never know how they'll turn out on skill alone. Look at Kuemper in Minny for example. Has all the physical tools to be a good #1 but cannot put it all together mentally.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Master

I think it is close for two principal reasons: Gibson's impending takeover of the #1 spot in Anaheim and Jones is an unproven asset. Andersen has been a starter for a full season, and, despite the lack of wins this season, is really, statistically anyways, doing well. Jones started hot, but has looked less than average lately. Really close in my opinion.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I think it is close for two principal reasons: Gibson's impending takeover of the #1 spot in Anaheim and Jones is an unproven asset. Andersen has been a starter for a full season, and, despite the lack of wins this season, is really, statistically anyways, doing well. Jones started hot, but has looked less than average lately. Really close in my opinion.
    Personally I'm not concerned with Gibson's presence at all. I think Andersen is more talented than Jones, and I think Andersen has proven he is a #1 goalie. So whether it is in Anaheim or a different organization next season, I think Andersen is the better option. I wouldn't say it's "not close", but it also isn't close enough for me to ever really pick Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I agree 100% and would also take Jones. Maybe it's just my bias against Ducks goalies but looking back to Fasth and Hiller, then to Bryz the comeback....then Andersen, Gibson, Khudobin, just too much bullzhit to cope with.

I wouldn't touch a Ducks goalie with a 10 foot pole while Boudreau is in charge. On a side note, I watched alot of Ducks games over the last few years, and feel Andersen benefits a bit by playing behind a very strong team, he's good but not THAT good IMO.