Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: William Nylander

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: William Nylander

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Bob McKenzie was discussing WJC rosters this afternoon (yesterday) on TSN 1050 and he said it's unlikely the Maple Leafs will let Nylander or Kapanen play for their countries at the WJC. It appears that they don't want to interrupt their development at the professional level.
    I don’t like that choice. I would want my players going under the spot light for 2-3weeks. There’s something about going to go play for your country that everyone likes. I wonder if Kapanen or Nylander have any say in this. It would be pretty bad to piss off these guys, especially when one has already been quoted saying he think he deserves to be in the NHL now.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I don’t like that choice. I would want my players going under the spot light for 2-3weeks. There’s something about going to go play for your country that everyone likes. I wonder if Kapanen or Nylander have any say in this. It would be pretty bad to piss off these guys, especially when one has already been quoted saying he think he deserves to be in the NHL now.
    I hope they will sit with them and discuss that. I think they should ask them if they want to play at the WJC. But they maybe did who knows.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

The Great One

The WJC is way overrated. Especially for guys already playing pro.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    The WJC is way overrated. Especially for guys already playing pro.
    For a guy like him, it might be more of a gift than part of a development plan.
    He might want to represent his nation again -- if so, reward him. Won't hurt anything (unless he gets hurt...)
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Titan

Like he’s already upset he’s not in the NHL (Prolly sees the talent above him and doesn’t like it), but understands the process. Maybe reward him if he wants to go play for Sweden again.

Also I want to see him play on TV more often. The Leafs have never had a top player play in the WJC in a while, would be nice to see him there. Also, it would be cool seeing a Canada vs Sweden final. The top players for each country will be linemates soon.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Toronto didn't really want to release Nylander or Kapanen to their respective world junior clubs, but as per Bob Mackenzie's most recent update, they are apparently obligated to because of the European out clause in the CBA. So I guess we will see them there.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It is very unlikely either will go to WJC due to the fact it will do little for them developmental wise, they personally likely would rather not as they don't get paid to go, the coaching and structure is not built or controlled by the organization for development just short term winning and you don't want to risk injury in a meaningless tourney with the timeline of games over a few days.

In Nylander's case he is already on top of the AHL, and could be recalled at anytime should a top 2 line job open that makes sense (Kadri getting hurt or traded)... as far as developmental plan, I expect to see him 2nd half of the year in the NHL, and almost guaranteed after the trade deadline to get his feet wet, then go back to the AHL for playoffs... Next year where he ends up will depend on his camp, but is unlikely to spend significant time in the AHL...

Someone mentioned they want his trade value to rise from the exposure... why?! I'd wanna be keeping this guy if was holding him! The surroundings in Toronto aren't great, but he should quickly be the catalyst on this team and be one of the very few players to own on the Leafs (Reilly, Kadri and JVR currently and potentially being the others)... sure you could get someone to over pay, or other pool related circumstances, but I'd wanna stash and hold if the lg allows it...

For Kapanen he has struggled in the AHL, but is coming around now and is showing his potential the last few games, his time away from his team would disrupt the chemistry and structure that the organization has built for him... had his struggles continued, he may have been sent to World Jrs to play lower class opponents to regain some confidence... but that's pretty much off the table now

Marner might fit in an interesting bucket... OHL will do nothing for him next year, but I could see him make the Leafs next season, play a limited role but be apart of the team maybe get assigned to OHL mid-season (which would eat a year of his entry-level), then spend a year or 2 in the AHL... It's rare, but has been done a few times... now should Marner play that limited role in the NHL next year, he likely would be sent to play in the World Jrs then the team would decide if he comes back to Leafs or OHL

I also like the idea mentioned of sending a Junior to Europe to play, be it Swiss, Sweden, Finland or Russia... Sometimes NHL teams do this with Euro players, but not often.

At the same time I feel the AHL needs to change the 20 year old rule for North American players. It is designed for minor pro teams to not sign Jr eligible players away from their Junior clubs who have invested time and $$$ into them. I would like to see 19 year olds, that are signed and assigned by NHL squads be allowed to play in the AHL or ECHL, but still restricting 19 year olds from being signed by minor pro teams.
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Banks View Post
    It is very unlikely either will go to WJC due to the fact it will do little for them developmental wise, they personally likely would rather not as they don't get paid to go, the coaching and structure is not built or controlled by the organization for development just short term winning and you don't want to risk injury in a meaningless tourney with the timeline of games over a few days.

In Nylander's case he is already on top of the AHL, and could be recalled at anytime should a top 2 line job open that makes sense (Kadri getting hurt or traded)... as far as developmental plan, I expect to see him 2nd half of the year in the NHL, and almost guaranteed after the trade deadline to get his feet wet, then go back to the AHL for playoffs... Next year where he ends up will depend on his camp, but is unlikely to spend significant time in the AHL...

Someone mentioned they want his trade value to rise from the exposure... why?! I'd wanna be keeping this guy if was holding him! The surroundings in Toronto aren't great, but he should quickly be the catalyst on this team and be one of the very few players to own on the Leafs (Reilly, Kadri and JVR currently and potentially being the others)... sure you could get someone to over pay, or other pool related circumstances, but I'd wanna stash and hold if the lg allows it...

For Kapanen he has struggled in the AHL, but is coming around now and is showing his potential the last few games, his time away from his team would disrupt the chemistry and structure that the organization has built for him... had his struggles continued, he may have been sent to World Jrs to play lower class opponents to regain some confidence... but that's pretty much off the table now

Marner might fit in an interesting bucket... OHL will do nothing for him next year, but I could see him make the Leafs next season, play a limited role but be apart of the team maybe get assigned to OHL mid-season (which would eat a year of his entry-level), then spend a year or 2 in the AHL... It's rare, but has been done a few times... now should Marner play that limited role in the NHL next year, he likely would be sent to play in the World Jrs then the team would decide if he comes back to Leafs or OHL

I also like the idea mentioned of sending a Junior to Europe to play, be it Swiss, Sweden, Finland or Russia... Sometimes NHL teams do this with Euro players, but not often.

At the same time I feel the AHL needs to change the 20 year old rule for North American players. It is designed for minor pro teams to not sign Jr eligible players away from their Junior clubs who have invested time and $$$ into them. I would like to see 19 year olds, that are signed and assigned by NHL squads be allowed to play in the AHL or ECHL, but still restricting 19 year olds from being signed by minor pro teams.
    And yet This : http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/to...weden-at-world

Hours before your post here.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post

LoL I don't read that site, but yea didn't hear anything on that till now... thx more info the better!
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post

Right on! I am rooting for Canada of course but I want to watch the best play against the best. Hope he has a great tournament if he plays.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Right on! I am rooting for Canada of course but I want to watch the best play against the best.
    if that was the case Canada would be undefeated. i've always found it funny when other countries try to taunt canadians when they lose. like do you actually think you had a chance had our best players been allowed to make the team? adding mcdavid, ekblad etc to this years team wouldn't make the tournament interesting to watch at all.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    if that was the case Canada would be undefeated. i've always found it funny when other countries try to taunt canadians when they lose. like do you actually think you had a chance had our best players been allowed to make the team? adding mcdavid, ekblad etc to this years team wouldn't make the tournament interesting to watch at all.
    It would be nice for Canada to bring all players available but it's just not realistic. They would win darn near every year if they had everyone that was eligible. When we went on that Gold medal drought it was frustrating because you knew if all of Canada's best went then we would have at least won some medals. Glad they won it last year.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    Well that's not true. Remember that WJC with Crosby-Bergeron and the rest of the 2003 draftees? It was freaking awesome even though they steamrolled thru every team.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Well that's not true. Remember that WJC with Crosby-Bergeron and the rest of the 2003 draftees? It was freaking awesome even though they steamrolled thru every team.
    I have to agree. It's always nice to see your country dominate everybody. That was the most memorable World Juniors for me, 2nd is when Carey Price won in 2007.